General Q's

Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Michelle Rockey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default General Q's

Hi,

Hoping you guys can help out with some general info. Moving to NZ later this year.

Waitemata!

What's the area like, what are the OK areas to look for rentals?

Is the nursery provision good?

Can I expect the same hassel as here when trying to get kids into decent schools? - ie catchment areas.

Got 16 year old due to start A levels in Sept 07 - what is the system out there for this age group and will the qualification obtained out there be viewed by UK uni's as equivalent to the A level qual?

How family orientated is NZ?

Sorry lots to ask any comments much appreciated.

Mic.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

spackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud of
Default Re: General Q's

Sorry i cant help with any of the questions, but welcome to the mad house.

Jac
Old Jan 21st 2007, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelle Rockey View Post
Hi,

Hoping you guys can help out with some general info. Moving to NZ later this year.

Waitemata!

Can I expect the same hassel as here when trying to get kids into decent schools? - ie catchment areas.

Got 16 year old due to start A levels in Sept 07 - what is the system out there for this age group and will the qualification obtained out there be viewed by UK uni's as equivalent to the A level qual?

How family orientated is NZ?

Sorry lots to ask any comments much appreciated.

Mic.

hello & welcome
i can't help with many of you Qs at mo but will let you know what is like for us.
2 kids 5&3 , 5 yr old goes to school , decile 8 no probs getting him in even though at the time we lived 35mins away from school & no where nr the catchement area, school was really understanding regarding the fact that we were new & sorting stuff out
3 yr old goes to kindy , cost of $1.50 a session, 3 sessions a week, at 4 they do more sessions to prepare for school at 5. they go to kindy from 3 , but there are plenty of private kindys here where they can go from younger i think.
theres soem links that may help in the really useful thread that may explain a little more
http://www.propertystuff.co.nz/ property & suburb profiles, the data there comes from 2000 census data supplied by Statistics New Zealand.

http://www.tki.org.nz/e/schools/index.php
click on the school name to get the decile rating 1 is low 10 is high 'The Ministry of Education uses a decile rating system for school funding purposes.
Each decile contains approximately 10% of schools. Schools in decile one have the highest proportion of students from low socio-economic backgrounds. Schools in decile ten have the lowest proportions of these students' , also for schools, addresses, web sites etc

enrolement zones for schools try http://www.schoolzones.co.nz

& i find NZ to be very family friendly
Old Jan 21st 2007, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Waitamata District covers quite a large area of Auckland, but most of it falls under Waitakere.

For more specific answers, perhaps if you could put where you'll be working, then we can help with suitable areas to live in!
Old Jan 21st 2007, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlmckay View Post
Waitamata District covers quite a large area of Auckland, but most of it falls under Waitakere.

For more specific answers, perhaps if you could put where you'll be working, then we can help with suitable areas to live in!
try this too
http://www.ljhooker.co.nz/locality/locality_main.php
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:09 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Really can't help with any of your questions, esp as we're probably looking to live more in the Welly area (and haven't even gone on our recce trip yet!), but welcome to the site!
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Waitemata!

Waitemata? Do you mean in Auckland ? As far as I am aware (someone will probably tell me I'm wrong) there isn't actually a 'place' in Auckland known as Waitemata? Auckland is generally divided by two harbours = Waitemata Harbour on one side and Manukau Harbour on the other. The two regional health boards are named after the two harbours. Counties Manukau covers all of South Auckland down to the Waikato and Waitemata covers all of the North, West Auckland, Waitakere and Rodney.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: General Q's

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles View Post
Waitemata? Do you mean in Auckland ? As far as I am aware (someone will probably tell me I'm wrong) there isn't actually a 'place' in Auckland known as Waitemata? Auckland is generally divided by two harbours = Waitemata Harbour on one side and Manukau Harbour on the other. The two regional health boards are named after the two harbours. Counties Manukau covers all of South Auckland down to the Waikato and Waitemata covers all of the North, West Auckland, Waitakere and Rodney.

Hi Bo,

Thanks for replying,

Sorry I thought Waitemata was a suburb in Auckland doh! Hubby is Dr going for job in North Shore hosp so I'm probably mixing the area up with what is actually the name of a Health Board/Harbour.

So looking to live within a catchment area from the hosp of about 20 miles. Am I going to end up in an area with half decent rentals/schools/low crime rates etc..

Looked at all the piccy's re: NZ - Auckland and they look fab but then again don't all government websites, please feel free to tell me in your opinion the good the bad and the ugly of NZ.

Had a read through many of the posts and on the whole the ex pats out there do seem to feel that there has been an improvement in their quality of life and it's a nicer place to bring up kids (not naive enough to think it won't have it's issues as do all places just be nice to have some idea what they are).

Thanks

Mic.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: General Q's

Hi Bo,

Thanks for replying,

Sorry I thought Waitemata was a suburb in Auckland doh! Hubby is Dr going for job in North Shore hosp so I'm probably mixing the area up with what is actually the name of a Health Board/Harbour.

So looking to live within a catchment area from the hosp of about 20 miles. Am I going to end up in an area with half decent rentals/schools/low crime rates etc..

Looked at all the piccy's re: NZ - Auckland and they look fab but then again don't all government websites, please feel free to tell me in your opinion the good the bad and the ugly of NZ.

Had a read through many of the posts and on the whole the ex pats out there do seem to feel that there has been an improvement in their quality of life and it's a nicer place to bring up kids (not naive enough to think it won't have it's issues as do all places just be nice to have some idea what they are).

Thanks

Mic.
Hi,

Just spotted all the other posts apart from Bo's.

Thank you I'll definately have a gander around the rec sites.

Mic
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 5:37 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

I may be able to help here. I know off a very nice place within comuting distance of North Shore hospital. Fantastic schools, houses/plots to die for, good for Bay of Islands visiting.

I will PM you its location
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Yep, Waitamata is the name of the District Health Board and refers to a culmination of areas as named above. If you're going to be working at North Shore Hospital, then perhaps Albany, Greenhithe, Glenfield are all places worth looking at.

Someone from the North Shore will be able to help you better, I'm based in Waitakere and more knowledgable of "out west"