Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

General Info About Moving to NZ

General Info About Moving to NZ

Old Nov 23rd 2010, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

sterntic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default General Info About Moving to NZ

Hi, if anyone could help with this i would really appreciate it.

My family and me are planning on moving to NZ (hopefully within the next 12 months) I've been dealing with 'Working in Visas (WIV)' and have had an eligibility assessment done for our visas. My first question would be;

1: How easy is it to complete the visa application by ourselves? As WIV are charging quite a large fee for doing the paperwork!

Also some general info about NZ would be great, I've read quite a lot on the net, but hearing first hand is usually better. Info about weather, cities to live (My daughter is 18 months) standard of living and jobs would all be really great.

Again your help would be of GREAT benefit to us!

John
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General Info About Moving to NZ

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum! There is plenty of information on the site if you do a quick search (you can pretty much search on any subject). The search button is on the main page on the right hand side. There is plenty of info of shipping, locations within NZ, weather, childcare, jobs etc etc. As you will see there is lots of active debate about the good and bad things about NZ.

I think most people say don't use an agent, you can do all the paperwork yourself....people on here are always happy to help out.

It would probably be helpful if you tell people what you are looking for by moving to NZ? You may or may not be restricted to certain locations by your job?? Have you visited before, any areas you particularly like. Are you big city people or would you prefer a rural location?

Good luck!
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 12:21 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Hi John and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasure to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including New Zealand can be found here.

I see you've found your way about but if you have any problems with B.E., dont hesitate to PM me.

I know that others will be along who can give you some good advice soon.

Alistair.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

sterntic is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

We're moving over for a number of reasons, the main one being we both think it would be an ideal place to bring up our daughter. The whole lifestyle appeals to us as well, tired of the daily rush of britain! We haven't visited before but I have worked with people from NZ and its sounds great, I would just like some more info on cities/urban areas where we can possibly consider living. No where too cold though as we're trying to get away from that . More on immigration would be a big help as well, as the fees that get banded about by agencies are quite high!

I'll have a search through the forum for answers to my questions, but if you can think of anything please let me know.

John
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 8:33 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome

As far as visas are concerned I would say do it yourself. Unless you have some unusual or difficult circumstances then the whole process isn't that hard. You just need to know what to do and when to do it.
Have you looked at the NZ immigration website as everything is on there [if you look hard enough!] NZ Immigration
What visas are you looking at applying for? What jobs do you do? Do you have enough points to apply for residency? So many questions!
Finally do as much research as possible on what it's like to live in NZ, read all the negative threads as much as the positive ones. There are downsides to living here, nowhere is perfect obviously. Not trying to put you off at all but forewarned is forearmed and all that
P