British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   General cost of bills in NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/general-cost-bills-nz-612600/)

bevissa65 Jun 2nd 2009 6:56 pm

General cost of bills in NZ

I hope I'm not repeating other threads but for those of us beginning the journey what are the everyday expenses like over there? Is electricity cheaper and water rates, do you pay some sort of council tax? Is running a car cheaper etc etc? Would appreciate some info, thanks, Bevissa:)

Jo-Chris Jun 2nd 2009 7:03 pm

Re: General cost of bills in NZ

Originally Posted by bevissa65 (Post 7627641)
I hope I'm not repeating other threads but for those of us beginning the journey what are the everyday expenses like over there? Is electricity cheaper and water rates, do you pay some sort of council tax? Is running a car cheaper etc etc? Would appreciate some info, thanks, Bevissa:)

Hi,

Not sure if this will help http://www.immigration.govt.nz/nzopp...mparecosts.htm

J:)

bevissa65 Jun 2nd 2009 7:08 pm

Thanks Jo-chris, I have seen that one before. I think its a bit out of date now though. I was thinking more of living expenses on a day to day basis. I've made endless lists of what we might need to set up home but am a bit lost for the bills that will come in. To start with, only I will be working so the money will be a bit tight if we want to keep some savings!! Although the expense of actually getting there seems to be enormous:thumbdown: Still if we can't afford it they won't want us eh? :D Bevissa

irish_eyes Jun 2nd 2009 7:49 pm

its quite expensive, well thats what we found! You can pay up to $4.50 for a 2 litre of milk tho if you shop outside of supermarkets and go to fruit shops you can get 4 litres of milk for $5.50. So you need to shop around at 1st. Cheese and most dairy products are alot tho. Meet is expensive too. Electricity is not too bad, and water rates are about $60-$80 for 3 months. Well thats what we used. You have to pay land rates. This amount will depend on where u live and what type of house well i think it is anyway. I'm sure someone else can help that knows more. Running a car, the petrol prices are HIGH!! Buts its the same the world over I suppose!

People seem to home cook and home bake more than this side of the world so i guess that saves on buying treats etc...

Sorry I seem to be just rambling now!

Jo-Chris Jun 2nd 2009 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by bevissa65 (Post 7627659)
Thanks Jo-chris, I have seen that one before. I think its a bit out of date now though. I was thinking more of living expenses on a day to day basis. I've made endless lists of what we might need to set up home but am a bit lost for the bills that will come in. To start with, only I will be working so the money will be a bit tight if we want to keep some savings!! Although the expense of actually getting there seems to be enormous:thumbdown: Still if we can't afford it they won't want us eh? :D Bevissa

Hi,
Knew that I had seen a comparison thingy somewhere else please see attached http://www.nz-immigration.co.nz/cost...ing/index.html :rofl:

Am Loolah Jun 2nd 2009 10:08 pm

I did a break down recently for a month which may help;

Gas & Electricity - $350
Telecom, mobile & Skype - $270
Petrol & Cars (x2) - $1,370
Water - $386 per annum

But we are a family of 6!:ohmy:

RobClubley Jun 2nd 2009 10:15 pm

For the two of us (and 4 pets)

Monthly
Gas and electric average $160
Rates $135
Petrol $100 (usually take the train to work)
Internet $70
Phone $40
Firewood about $700 a year

So where does all my money go each month?
Oh yeah, mortgage and last year's holidays and home improvements!! :D

pixi-dust Jun 2nd 2009 10:21 pm

monthly
electricity and gas $200 ( this includes an expensive spa!)
Petrol $650
Phone $90
Internet $60
grocery shopping $600

Firewood free
Water free

Car WOF ( like MOT) every 6 months $45 ( I think?)

We put aside $100 per month for vets stuff
On top of this there are insurances
savings

Rates per year $1800

There are only 2 of us but we have 3 dogs and 4 cats and chickens etc etc their food is included in grocery shopping. Personally I don't think grocery shopping is expensive ( and we don't scimp) I do think electricity is in relation to earnings. But my mum told me it's gone way up in the Uk so I suppose it's expensive everywhere.

pixi-dust Jun 2nd 2009 10:25 pm

Rob, how do you get your phone so cheap?
We're with telecom and the actual calls are only about $10 the rest is rental and stuff.

RobClubley Jun 2nd 2009 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by pixi-dust (Post 7628057)
Rob, how do you get your phone so cheap?
We're with telecom and the actual calls are only about $10 the rest is rental and stuff.

Our phone line is with Telecom and is $40 for line rental only. Toll calls and internet are with Slingshot. It's rare that we have any actual calls though.

pixi-dust Jun 2nd 2009 10:42 pm

Ah I must check what extras we've got and if they're necessary - I think we have the answer phone thing.

newkiwi Jun 3rd 2009 3:40 am

we have a telecom total home package which is your line rental, free local calls and broadband internet for about $100.
electricity jumps in the winter time, round the $160 mark on average i think
Sky tv with movies and sport and MySky (which is like the Sky+ in the UK) is another $90 odd
The city council rates vary according to your home rateble value, ours is about $1200 or $1300 i think
car insurance is much cheaper, petrol is cheaper (not sure what it is at the moment $1.60 ish) Im sure somebody will correct me. The 6-monthly Warrent of Fitness is another $50 odd or so
Groceries are expensive, $120 a week for two of us

CarolineSwan Jun 3rd 2009 4:26 am

heres a rough monthly idea for us a family of 3

rent (brand new 3 bed brick house with heat pump getting added this week) : 360 a week

electricity :150 monthly approx
sky : 64 monthly
phone / internet ( including a free call package with unlimited calls to anywhere in world ) :140 a month
mobiles for 2 of us :17 monthly
petrol :60 every 4/5 weeks
grocery shopping (inc alcahol) : 200 - 250 someweeks less sometimes more depends if we need cleaning stuff/ toiletries/ nappies etc
weekly take away : 20 ish weekly
sunday lunch out : 50 ish weekly
rates : 15 weekly

rates are low as we only own section so far and no house on it as yet they will be round 40 a week once house on it, but again depends where you are in nzx as these vary alot

cant think of other things , but prices vary everywhere in nz for instance a 3 litre of milk in NP costs around 4.80 , where as i saw someone mention same for 2 litre

CarolineSwan Jun 3rd 2009 4:27 am

Originally Posted by newkiwi (Post 7628587)
Groceries are expensive, $120 a week for two of us

i used to spend this going to local spar for milk back in the uk lol , dont miss they shops lol

dubstar Jun 3rd 2009 5:09 am

hi

our monthly bills are

180 electric
18o gas (in winter)
900 food and wine
150 house insurance
50 car insurance
180 fuel
190 rates inc water
school fees 250