British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   G'day all ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/gday-all-398877/)

markynz Sep 27th 2006 4:14 am

G'day all !

Hi..

Just like to say hi to everyone. We're in sunny Nelson and have been here about 3 weeks now, originally from Burton-on-trent, staffs.
If anyone is from these ere parts feel free to get in touch !

cheers

Mark and Heather.

poppets Sep 27th 2006 4:19 am

Re: G'day all !

Originally Posted by markynz
Hi..

Just like to say hi to everyone. We're in sunny Nelson and have been here about 3 weeks now, originally from Burton-on-trent, staffs.

cheers

Mark and Heather.

hello to you too, i'm in welly, but hello anyway
how are you finding life in NZ

Jude J Sep 27th 2006 4:22 am

Hi.
In Auckland so miles away but hello and welcome.

So how is Nelson comparing to Burton On trent? :)

markynz Sep 27th 2006 4:57 am

thanks for the replies :)

How does Nelson compare to Burton ? :rolleyes:

lol - well , you know I'm almost lost for words.

Nelson is great to be perfectly honest. Sunny ( usually ), friendly people, no stress, no road rage, no muggings, no chavs, plenty of fantastic views, mountains, the sea, glorious beaches, schools which let kids play sport and dont wrap them in cotton wool, relaxed atitudes, loads of greenery and places to go, cheap takeaways ( £9 equivalent for 3 large dominos pizzas and a large coke !!), oh and theres some decent pubs too :beer:

Burton is, well, a dive.

LOL - anyway, its great to be here. A little stressed ( as much as I can be anyway here ) as I'm trying to get a business off the ground, but otherwise loving it. Do I miss the UK ? nope. Only my family and friends.

How are you guys all enjoying it so far then ? Any reservations or things that you can warn me about ?

Cheers

Mark

Herm Sep 27th 2006 8:15 am

£9 equivalent for 3 large dominos pizzas and a large coke !!
Any reservations or things that you can warn me about ?

Been here quite a few years and still loving it but BEWARE - There will come a time when $27 for 3 dominos will seem an awfull lot of money. Never mind the 5 bucks for a beer..... :beer:

markynz Sep 27th 2006 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Herm
Been here quite a few years and still loving it but BEWARE - There will come a time when $27 for 3 dominos will seem an awfull lot of money. Never mind the 5 bucks for a beer..... :beer:

lol - yes I guess so. Does $27 seem a lot to you then ? We also went to a sit down restaurant for pizza etc and this set us back $91. Now thats a lot of money ! Wont be going back there again..

Herm Sep 27th 2006 8:55 am

lol - yes I guess so. Does $27 seem a lot to you then ? We also went to a sit down restaurant for pizza etc and this set us back $91. Now thats a lot of money ! Wont be going back there again..

Spent our first 12 months here living off sterling and everything seemed really cheap. When the sterling ran out and all we had were dollars coming in had to seriously review our spending habits and, relatively, $27 seemed a lot. Not sure of the figures anymore but $27 equates to roughly 3 hours at minimum wage - what would 3 hours at minimum wage in the UK buy from Dominos?

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Joshlin Sep 27th 2006 9:57 am

Hi Mark

Glad you are settling in ok. Not missing " oat cakes" yet then? Better views than Barlestone Downs or Trentham Gardens in Nelson i bet!!!!!!!!

Would echo what Herm said- earn a dollar/spend a dollar. forget sterling as quick as you can.

Lee :)

Andrew Cross Sep 27th 2006 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Joshlin
Hi Mark

Glad you are settling in ok. Not missing " oat cakes" yet then? Better views than Barlestone Downs or Trentham Gardens in Nelson i bet!!!!!!!!

Would echo what Herm said- earn a dollar/spend a dollar. forget sterling as quick as you can.

Lee :)

I only work it out in ££'s now when I am justifying to myself that the purchase is really quite cheap....too many dollars but only ....£££'s. :D

cottageinthesky Sep 27th 2006 8:28 pm

Hi..

cheers

Mark and Heather.

Hi to you both - I'm in Wellington but will be staying in Nelson - well, Richmond - for the national croquet President's 16 Invitation being played November 18th-22nd.

sky Sep 27th 2006 8:53 pm

Welcome to the forum :D
Nelson is lovely I hear, never been but funny enough a brick and blocklaying company just rang my hubby up the other day trying to entice us up there.
We're happy here now though :)
As the others have said try to forget converting to sterling as quick as possible once earning NZ dollars you won't think things ars so cheap, unless your one of the lucky ones earning lots of lurvely money :D

markynz Sep 27th 2006 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by sky
Welcome to the forum :D
Nelson is lovely I hear, never been but funny enough a brick and blocklaying company just rang my hubby up the other day trying to entice us up there.
We're happy here now though :)
As the others have said try to forget converting to sterling as quick as possible once earning NZ dollars you won't think things ars so cheap, unless your one of the lucky ones earning lots of lurvely money :D

thanks for the welcomes !

unfortunately not so lucky as regards the money - but hey, thats not the reason we came here is it ?
Lets face it, thats why half the sub-continent, china and eastern europe wants to go to the uk - to earn money.

We came here for the lifestyle - hence choosing Nelson, what a great place.