British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   GBP well over $1.90 today (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/gbp-well-over-%241-90-today-727393/)

Genesis Aug 4th 2011 5:16 am

GBP well over $1.90 today

Who would have thought this news would be true 18 months ago? Anyway its going the right way for once..any takers at $1.92? Bill English reckons the kiwi will be at 80cents US for the next decade!! No mention of the pound.

Scousebird Aug 4th 2011 6:43 am

Re: GBP well over $1.90 today

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9536768)
Who would have thought this news would be true 18 months ago? Anyway its going the right way for once..any takers at $1.92? Bill English reckons the kiwi will be at 80cents US for the next decade!! No mention of the pound.

So does this mean you're going to be happy now?

rick78 Aug 4th 2011 6:44 am

HAhah1!!!

Genesis Aug 4th 2011 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Scousebird (Post 9536836)
So does this mean you're going to be happy now?

What? $1.92? Leave it out. Only true, deep happiness arrives when it's $3 plus. I shall continue being miserable until that juncture.:thumbsup: Don't hold your breath.

simonmarkellis Aug 4th 2011 7:31 am

If he knows that now, how come he didn't know it six months ago... Politicians by and large are reactive, very few are proactive and know whats goning to happen down the track and Bill English isn't one of them...

Scousebird Aug 4th 2011 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9536883)
What? $1.92? Leave it out. Only true, deep happiness arrives when it's $3 plus. I shall continue being miserable until that juncture.:thumbsup: Don't hold your breath.

Thought it was too good to be true.

johnht Aug 4th 2011 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Scousebird (Post 9536836)
(@ Genesis....) So does this mean you're going to be happy now?

1st thought on seeing the exchange rate this morning, ':DThat's good over $1.90:D'

2nd thought,':frown:why should an exchange rate of $1.92 make me happy?:frown:'

3rd thought,' I wonder what Genesis has to say on the subject:p'

John

Scousebird Aug 4th 2011 8:52 am

Originally Posted by johnht (Post 9537020)
1st thought on seeing the exchange rate this morning, ':DThat's good over $1.90:D'

2nd thought,':frown:why should an exchange rate of $1.92 make me happy?:frown:'

3rd thought,' I wonder what Genesis has to say on the subject:p'

John

His misery is infectious need to find a cure!!

rick78 Aug 4th 2011 8:54 am

Hahaha :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

florabundi Aug 4th 2011 8:59 pm

Very glad it has changed for the better and keeping my fingers crossed for further improvements :fingerscrossed:

Genesis Aug 4th 2011 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by rick78 (Post 9537031)
Hahaha :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Weird the sudden spurt in the strength of the pound eh? There is no good reason for it other than the apparent complete breakdown of both the Eurozone and the US. Just goes to show how fickle the money markets are innit? Anyway we will see what happens over the next few days but there is utter and complete turmoil in the markets around the world. The FTSE in london was around 6k recently, in just 3-3 weeks it has slumped back down to C5500!! 10% loss in a matter of weeks!!!! And the GBP GOES UP???WTF????

Apparently China is poised to buy NZ and the rest of the world by the looks of things. Well at least we will have world order restored, crime will plummet and we will have great food to eat. Not sure how human rites will fare though:eek:.

Genesis Aug 5th 2011 12:10 am

I was just thinking the other day..how I heard a few years ago the kiwi often goes up in value via the stairs and comes down in value via the express elevator. That is certainly true of the last 48 hours.

Genesis Aug 5th 2011 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9538534)
I was just thinking the other day..how I heard a few years ago the kiwi often goes up in value via the stairs and comes down in value via the express elevator. That is certainly true of the last 48 hours.

It was 1.96 a short while ago. The reason is because apparently both Japan and Switzerland have intervened in the currency markets to force some change, not exactly sure waht they wanted to do but what ever it was the kiwi did not like it.

johnht Aug 5th 2011 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9538666)
It was 1.96 a short while ago. The reason is because apparently both Japan and Switzerland have intervened in the currency markets to force some change, not exactly sure waht they wanted to do but what ever it was the kiwi did not like it.

Japan and Switzerland both thought their currencies were overvalued and that could harm their economies and companies so their central banks did something about it. As I understand it the New Zealand central bank didn't do anything, but the action of the others made people aware of the possibility that they could, so the NZD went down anyway.

John.

DC10 Aug 5th 2011 10:21 am

There is a sudden risk aversion, market sell-off, fears of another global recession... which always knocks "commodity" currencies such as the Aussie, Kiwi and Canadian $.