British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   GBP crisis...yawn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/gbp-crisis-yawn-658599/)

Stormer999 Mar 12th 2010 5:22 am

Re: GBP crisis...yawn

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow (Post 8413764)
I thought we werent allowed to talk politics on this forum :)

.....it's going to be a difficult rule to maintain as we approach the election.

Glad I'm in NZ.....I've never been a fan of spoiling my ballot paper, but this time round I'm not sure which of the band of clowns I'd choose.

For once in their lifetime British politicians have united in bringing the voters together under one flag where we can see the stance adopted by these true servents of ours! After their display of years of theft covered up by the nice word 'expenses' and the true concern displayed when being found out by refusing to pay back the nations monies, then all accepting an instant £1k base rate wage increase..........the flag is...........Sod the lot! We Brits are that disgusted we will not be wasting our time to vote to feed their petty little greeds......Fox hunters and all...............:thumbdown:

And I mean all.......http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/8563214.stm...says it all really!

teeym Mar 12th 2010 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 8413393)
It's only 2.1478..its not really working aye?

2.15610 and counting - that's closer to 2.16 just on one baseless rumour! :blink:

Do you not realise the power you wield? International monetary experts could pay you millions NOT to make currency transactions for fear of destabilising the economies of entire nations. You should give Alistair Darling a ring - I think they are desperate enough ahead of the election to try anything!

simonsi Mar 12th 2010 9:31 am

I rang GB this morning and just hinted that Genesis might be about to make a FE trade, he put his hand over the phone mouthpiece but I did hear him...

"For goodness sake Alistair, sell the LOT, NOW!!! and then buckle up, todays going to be rough....shame about the Greeks....and get me the Black Friday Plan right away"

...then he rang off....

simonsi Mar 15th 2010 11:40 am

Oh dear... 2.146 and in a shallow dive it seems...:cry_smile:

AndyR Mar 15th 2010 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 8411531)
Ahhh, but it wouldn't have guaranteed you anymore happiness. Besides which it's NZ - nobody could care less what you drive.:thumbup:

Agreed.

Back in the UK I admit I was the usual "got to have a flash car, LCD TV, big house" etc etc.

But, after spending 9 months traveling round Oz in a tiny little campervan with nothing but a rucksack of clothes, and now being in NZ for 3 months with the same bag of clothes, we've realised its all just stuff. We dont actually need all thats stuff, its just an item which at the end of the day it doesn't matter if you have it or not.

Sure a big screen tv or flash car is nice, but if you don't have it so what. I haven't watched a TV in nearly 10 months, and as long as a car has 4 wheels and doesn't break down every 2 feet I'll be happy.

Dewb09 Mar 16th 2010 8:01 am

2.134 :eek::thumbdown:

Dewb

mudblood21 Mar 17th 2010 1:22 am

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 8410660)
So if i am reading the above posts correctly, I should put my money into British beef before this Hadron fella buys it all :thumbup:

I think i will start with 2lb of mince

Neil

My favourite post EVER! thank you
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Genesis Mar 17th 2010 6:23 am

Originally Posted by mudblood21 (Post 8425633)

Simonsi had the right idea...forget about the heady days of the $2.70s. I think they are gone forever. What you need to think about is what you can get today..and more importantly what you THINK you might get in 4 months time. I believe we all have to face up to the fact that those of us with money in the UK that we want to bring to NZ is that it has devalued by about 25% in the last 15 months and its not going to get much better in the short term..by that I mean many, many years. I will do a big sell IF it gets to $2.40ish. What do you lot think? The only salvation for a return to $2.50 plus is if the kiwi takes a BIG bashing for some reason..that's the only way it will go north of $2.50..The GBP is really, really fecked.

simonsi Mar 17th 2010 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Dewb09 (Post 8423160)
2.134 :eek::thumbdown:

Dewb

Mayday, mayday, this is the good ship GBP, foundering in heavy seas, UK Population of 70 million on board, immediate miracle required......

Stormer999 Mar 17th 2010 11:58 am

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 8426534)
Mayday, mayday, this is the good ship GBP, foundering in heavy seas, UK Population of 70 million on board, immediate miracle required......

Bring in more people to man the pumps!:rofl::rofl:

mudblood21 Mar 17th 2010 4:39 pm

I wasn't planning to sell my house straight away - i was thinking of leaving it a couple of years, and selling up and bringing the money over then - surely the GBP would recover a bit by then?

Dewb09 Mar 17th 2010 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by mudblood21 (Post 8427252)
I wasn't planning to sell my house straight away - i was thinking of leaving it a couple of years, and selling up and bringing the money over then - surely the GBP would recover a bit by then?

We are selling :fingerscrossed: but will leave money here and just hope with everything that things improve, I remember when I thought 2.5 was low :eek:

Dewb

whitesand Mar 17th 2010 5:02 pm

Noone really know, and everyting is just guess work and wishing and hoping. However, what is certain is that things change and when they do it may happen suddenly. I don't think though it will take years for the NZ dollar to come down as it doesn't simply depend on what happens to the pound.

AndyR Mar 18th 2010 1:52 am

Depends how long you can wait really.

We transfered some fund to OZ 12 months ago at 2.2 which we thought was bad at the time, but had no chouce but to transfer. Everyone we spoke to was going "yeah it'll come back up soon no worries". But now look at it! 1.6!!!

Got the remains of our UK currency to bring over to NZ now, and seriously tempted to just do it and not worry it it goes up. Just don't want to lose anymore now.

Jan n Neil Mar 18th 2010 2:10 am

Originally Posted by mudblood21 (Post 8425633)

Thank u, i,m here all week :o