Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Gas Fitting work to residence

Gas Fitting work to residence

Old Mar 2nd 2008, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Riverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud of
Default Re: Gas Fitting work to residence

Now i'm totally confused. I went to the emigrate 2008 show at Sandown today and spoke to immigration officials. I asked about recognition of quals in order to apply and was told that they recognise c+g craft and advanced pts 1+2 for immigration purposes...confirmed by their website. However upon further investigation I found that the long term shortage list gives the requirement of pgdb registration....which we all know you can't do until you take the tests etc in wellington!!!
So do I first go to pgdb and get a letter stating that if I get to NZ I would be able to sit the registration tests, or do I go to the nzqa and get an assessment from them, or do I get a gun and end it all quickly/become a hairdresser!!!(please delete as appropriate).
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 11:07 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Riverside
Now i'm totally confused. I went to the emigrate 2008 show at Sandown today and spoke to immigration officials. I asked about recognition of quals in order to apply and was told that they recognise c+g craft and advanced pts 1+2 for immigration purposes...confirmed by their website. However upon further investigation I found that the long term shortage list gives the requirement of pgdb registration....which we all know you can't do until you take the tests etc in wellington!!!
So do I first go to pgdb and get a letter stating that if I get to NZ I would be able to sit the registration tests, or do I go to the nzqa and get an assessment from them, or do I get a gun and end it all quickly/become a hairdresser!!!(please delete as appropriate).
As previously stated ,you need to get a preliminary assessment from the PGDB. It's nothing to do with NZQA.

From my post to this thread February 14th.

Originally Posted by BEVS
BEVS here
If you wish to claim points for your gasfitting qualifications & also your years in the trade, then you must apply for a PGDB preliminary assessment.
Even then , the NZIS may not wish to allow you the points as their rules now state that NZ registration is also required.

As you know, NZ registration can only take place in Wellington New Zealand and is a 4 day practical assessment and a 3 hour exam. You cannot do this , unless directed by the PGDB to do so, via the preliminary assessment.

In theory NZIS should accept the directive from the PGDB if you have a positive outcome to your assessment.

The gasfitting registration is not as tough as that for plumbing so at least that is something for you.

edited here...

remember , gasfitting is just on the immediate shortage list, therefore you cannot claim absolute shortage points.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Riverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud of
Question Re: Gas Fitting work to residence

All-righty then!....I'm used to doing what I'm told...(eventually) and have just downloaded said immigrants guide to the assessment system.
Could anyone let me know if there are any text books on the NZ way of doing plumbing/gasfitting or perhaps any distance learning courses that would be of any help?
Old Mar 4th 2008, 10:37 pm
`

Yes. I can let you know.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 10:53 pm
`

Seriously.........

Courses do exist to help with registration assessments and exams. The thing is you would have to be here and working in the trade before you could sign up with an ITO - training organisation.

You would also need Permanent Residency otherwise you would have to pay international student fees which is mega $$$.

Once here and working you could choose to sign up with the Open Polytechnic and use their coursework . My husband is currently using this to make sure of a positive outcome for his Craftsman Papers. It's not that you or he don;t know your trade inside out and upside down. It's simply the NZ rules and regs plus getting into exam mode. You'll see what I mean if you look at past exam papers which are available on the PGDB website.

The is a refresher course each year which is available up at Unitec Auckland. Its a two day course which can aid with exam preparation.

What you would choose re. courses once here would depend on whether you are going for plumbing registration , gasfitting registration or both.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:31 pm
`

Here is a list that I compiled a while ago.

KEN DOYLE PLUMBING BOOKS

The Old Doyle text books are still currently used .
Plumbimg and Gasfitting 1 and 2
plus a general Branz guide
They are owned by The Plumbing ITO .
If you cannot buy online , then try contacting contact Sue McGarry
[email protected] Very useful books. Most all NZ plumbers and apprentices seem to own copies of these.

Master Plumbers, Gasfitters & Drainlayers NZ Incorporated:
Sue McGarry
Industry Training Organisation
P O Box 6606
Wellington
Phone 04 384 41
-------------------------------------------

Plumbers, Gas Fitters and Drain layers Act 1976 -

The PGDB board do have examination questions which refer to this Act.

contact via email, fax or the toll free number below.

Anne Honeyfield
[email protected]
Customer Care Co-Ordinator ,Brookers Ltd ,TOLL FREE: 0800 10 60 60
FAX: 64 04 499 8173
Level 1 ,Guardian Trust House ,15 Willeston Street
P O Box 43 .Wellington

If the above contact is out of date then email services from the Brookers Website
You may find you have to fill in a registration form to obtain the Act. The cost used to be around $10 plus postage.

----------------------------------------------------------

NZ Building Codes found here and free to download.

There will be questions relating to the codes.

Scroll down the page .

Look for G10 through to G13 .

G12 and G13 particularly for plumbing.

Beware ! These do have a huge amount of pages.

Otherwise available form Victoria University bookshop.

They require payment before dispatch (cheque, credit card or direct debit) You can order via email, on the website www.vicbooks.co.nz, or by phone 0800 370 370.
Samantha Stanley
Distribution
Department of Building & Housing
Victoria University Bookcentre
Gate 1 Kelburn Parade
Wellington
0800 370 370

---------------------------------------------

New Zealand Standards

Again, there will be questions relating to the Standards.

Nz Standard 3500

Parts 2 and 5

also

Standard 5261 gasfitting

----------------------------------------

Please do take a look at previous exam questions and brush up on your math. You'll need it.
The exams will be closed book.

An extract of an email I recd from an ITO some while ago which outlined some of the practices still taught here, but perhaps no longer taught in the UK.

The NZ Plumbing skills not taught in England have been:

Sheet metal pattern development by using:
1. Parallel line development
2. Radial line development
3. Triangulation

Sheet metal work - making up:
Spouting; down pipes; down pipe offsets; ducting and fittings;
flashings; roofwork - corrugated iron and pandeck; gas flues.

Welding: - Oxy acetylene - fusion and bronze; arc; mig and tig

Brazing: - Mainly copper pipe joints
Now . Is this worth karma ?

Perhaps one day I'll actually get my arris into gear and learn how to put this into the BE wiki.

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 5th 2008 at 12:23 am. Reason: tweak
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:35 pm
`

McGowans

Originally Posted by McGowans
Hi to all we've communicated with over the past months. We've decided to bow out and try to achieve our dreams elsewhere (not sure where but going to re-focus here). We've had lots of emotional hurdles over the last months, not just the usual and so feel we have to get things straight here before making such a move that might threaten everything we have left (that sounds dramatic!).
So we wish those already there good fortune and those still going through the process the best of luck and hope your wishes come true - we'll keep an eye on things!
I'm very sorry to read this, though both my husband and I do understand.
Hope you do find something that will suit all your requirements wherever that may be.
l
Old Mar 5th 2008, 9:46 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Here is a list that I compiled a while ago.
......Plumbers, Gas Fitters and Drain layers Act 1976 -

The PGDB board do have examination questions which refer to this Act.

contact via email, fax or the toll free number below.
.....Now . Is this worth karma ?
for you dear BEVS anything......
NZ legislation is available online so you can get the Act here:
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/p...DLM439139.html
as pdf:
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/p...ed801581a7.pdf (warning 1.2Mbytes.....)

Last edited by lardyl; Mar 5th 2008 at 9:50 am.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:49 pm
`

Originally Posted by lardyl
for you dear BEVS anything......

Originally Posted by lardyl
NZ legislation is available online so you can get the Act here:
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/p...DLM439139.html
as pdf:
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/p...ed801581a7.pdf (warning 1.2Mbytes.....)
OMG ! That's a brilliant link mate. Karma your way.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 9:12 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
that was a round about way to say that I was giving you Karma........
Old Jul 12th 2008, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Hi All
Just thought I would update my adventures a bit.
I have had a telephone interview, late at night, with a gentleman called Kern U'ren from the PGDB. He is the Deputy Registrar.
It went well, but was obvious from the start that my UK experience in plumbing was nowhere near the level required for NZ, but I was OK on the gas side. (I must admit though that most of my experience since qualifiation has been in gas.
He then sent out a letter inviting me to do my gas qualification in NZ (only $3500!). When NZ immigration asked for confirmation of acceptance of my quals by the PGDB that was enough. ( and they sent a copy of the letter by e-mail so I could forward it onto Immigration NZ even before the hard copy arrived).
I have now received our ITA.
I have been letting my prospective employer in NZ know each step of the way, but I am pretty sure we won't make the start date on the contract!!
But he has said that the job is still open at the moment.

Sod's Law has worked its wonders yet again and upon finding out that I'm considering a move across the other side of the world, has caused a global recession so not only can I not sell my house in the UK, but can now no longer finance our move to NZ!!!!!!!!!

But these are minor details....and anyway as any good gas engineer or plumber knows...we work according to sod's law more on a daily basis than any other regulations!!!!

See you all soon maybe...
Nick