Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:01 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Gas Fitting work to residence

Originally Posted by bigfoot
Hello, first post.
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by Bigfoot

We are at the EOI stage at the moment, me the wife and the 3 kids submitted on Sunday.
The next pool draw is 13th Feb. Fingers crossed for you. How many points do you have?

If you receive an ITA it will be interesting to see what NZIS wish you to produce by way of satisfying the NZ Gas Registration requirement.
By rights, it should be just the letter from the PGDB assessment stating you are eligible to take registration, however NZIS officers seem to be interpreting the rule differently.

I currently work for nationalgrid AKA transco as an active engineer on the UK
distribution network, first call TSE gas leaks etc, have also donkeys years of experience outside this IE my own corgi reg business domestic/industrial/commercial.
Good! A quality , solid UK gasfitter.
I assume you have your PGDB assessment and that it was a positive result.

I seem to get the impression
Originally Posted by BEVS
bloody nightmare,
understanding your frustration the uk gas industry is probably one of the most tightly regulated ie cert for competence for everything, requalify every five years,
Yes. The UK gas industry is extremely well regulated IMVHO. They are only just bringing in gas competences here. However, New Zealand and Oz really do believe that they are ahead of the game , better qualified , more H&S conscious, the best in the world and "sought after the world over" which is a nonsense.

Where the UK can let itself down these days, is on the plumbing front. It does its 4 year time-served, fully qualified UK plumbers and gasfitters that have all the singing /dancing C&G advanced - NVQ3, ACS, CORGI, JIB-PMES CITB etc no favours at all, that the trade allows people to sit no more than a couple of months block course and then call themselves plumbers.

Any time you see a reference to UK plumbing or gasfitting, you can bet your boots that the NZ propaganda machine will point and shake their heads dolefully in the direction of those that do these short block courses. You will NEVER see anything approaching recognition for the fully qualified time served overseas plumbing and gasfitting tradesman. NZ delights in using the UK short plumbing courses as a means to mock UK plumbing and gasfitting practices & to prove that the NZ tradesmen are better. Load of baloney I know ,but that is how it is.
I am talking about those that govern the trade standard here from one way or another. I am not talking about everyday plumbing and gasfitting lives.

hence more bureaucracy on the NZ side to endure.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'hence' . NZ does not recognise the UK standard.
As you may already know, you will be required to sit a three hour exam and take 4 days of assessments once here to become registered. $3500 plus licence fee. You then wait a year or two , to take your two craftsman exams before you can go self-employed.

They only accept UK craftsman standard plumbers and gasfitters anyway, so there should be no need to treat them as plebs. The PGDB should devise a short NZ course to cover the NZ rules , regs etc. Then have them sit a test and some practical assessments . Perhaps have them work in the field for , say, six months first. Bobs your uncle.
I think their need to flex their PGDB muscles in the heavy handed way they do says more about their insecurity within the 21st century western world as a trade, than it does about the quality of the UK tradesman coming in.

No offence intended but being a carpet fitter etc would be far less stressfull, the word undervalued comes to mind.
I doubt a carpet fitter or hairdresser would be that offended. It's not casting dispertions on their occupation after all. It's as you say - an expression of extreme frustration with the process and system. The carpet fitter and hairdresser should just be breathing a sigh of relief that they don't have the same hoops to go through.

A gasfitter or a plumber at grass roots level is very much valued. Not well paid but valued. There is a shortage here. The country may want us, but the NZ trade does not. Not really. It prefers home-grown. Therefore , it would be correct to say that fully qualified overseas , extremely well experienced plumbers and gasfitters are under-valued by the NZ trade they are coming into.

I sense a big grey cloud heading this way shortly..
It IS the land of the long white cloud & for all the PGDB nonsense and the load of $$$ that has to be paid out , it is a lovely place to live.

Let us all know how you get on.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

bigfoot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Hi and welcome to the forum.

The next pool draw is 13th Feb. Fingers crossed for you. How many points do you have?

If you receive an ITA it will be interesting to see what NZIS wish you to produce by way of satisfying the NZ Gas Registration requirement.
By rights, it should be just the letter from the PGDB assessment stating you are eligible to take registration, however NZIS officers seem to be interpreting the rule differently.

Good! A quality , solid UK gasfitter.
I assume you have your PGDB assessment and that it was a positive result.

Yes. The UK gas industry is extremely well regulated IMVHO. They are only just bringing in gas competences here. However, New Zealand and Oz really do believe that they are ahead of the game , better qualified , more H&S conscious, the best in the world and "sought after the world over" which is a nonsense.

Where the UK can let itself down these days, is on the plumbing front. It does its 4 year time-served, fully qualified UK plumbers and gasfitters that have all the singing /dancing C&G advanced - NVQ3, ACS, CORGI, JIB-PMES CITB etc no favours at all, that the trade allows people to sit no more than a couple of months block course and then call themselves plumbers.

Any time you see a reference to UK plumbing or gasfitting, you can bet your boots that the NZ propaganda machine will point and shake their heads dolefully in the direction of those that do these short block courses. You will NEVER see anything approaching recognition for the fully qualified time served overseas plumbing and gasfitting tradesman. NZ delights in using the UK short plumbing courses as a means to mock UK plumbing and gasfitting practices & to prove that the NZ tradesmen are better. Load of baloney I know ,but that is how it is.
I am talking about those that govern the trade standard here from one way or another. I am not talking about everyday plumbing and gasfitting lives.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'hence' . NZ does not recognise the UK standard.
As you may already know, you will be required to sit a three hour exam and take 4 days of assessments once here to become registered. $3500 plus licence fee. You then wait a year or two , to take your two craftsman exams before you can go self-employed.

They only accept UK craftsman standard plumbers and gasfitters anyway, so there should be no need to treat them as plebs. The PGDB should devise a short NZ course to cover the NZ rules , regs etc. Then have them sit a test and some practical assessments . Perhaps have them work in the field for , say, six months first. Bobs your uncle.
I think their need to flex their PGDB muscles in the heavy handed way they do says more about their insecurity within the 21st century western world as a trade, than it does about the quality of the UK tradesman coming in.

I doubt a carpet fitter or hairdresser would be that offended. It's not casting dispertions on their occupation after all. It's as you say - an expression of extreme frustration with the process and system. The carpet fitter and hairdresser should just be breathing a sigh of relief that they don't have the same hoops to go through.

A gasfitter or a plumber at grass roots level is very much valued. Not well paid but valued. There is a shortage here. The country may want us, but the NZ trade does not. Not really. It prefers home-grown. Therefore , it would be correct to say that fully qualified overseas , extremely well experienced plumbers and gasfitters are under-valued by the NZ trade they are coming into.

It IS the land of the long white cloud & for all the PGDB nonsense and the load of $$$ that has to be paid out , it is a lovely place to live.

Let us all know how you get on.
Hi Bev
EOI submitted 150pts, 20 of which were on the wifes med quals.

Not submitted anything to the PGDB yet, in process of studying the various posts to decide best course of action.

Thanks for the reply..
Old Feb 13th 2008, 8:14 pm
`

If you wish to claim points for your gasfitting qualifications & also your years in the trade, then you must apply for a PGDB preliminary assessment.
Even then , the NZIS may not wish to allow you the points as their rules now state that NZ registration is also required.

As you know, NZ registration can only take place in Wellington New Zealand and is a 4 day practical assessment and a 3 hour exam. You cannot do this , unless directed by the PGDB to do so, via the preliminary assessment.

In theory NZIS should accept the directive from the PGDB if you have a positive outcome to your assessment.

The gasfitting registration is not as tough as that for plumbing so at least that is something for you.

edited here...

remember , gasfitting is just on the immediate shortage list, therefore you cannot claim absolute shortage points.

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 14th 2008 at 9:25 am. Reason: add a bit
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

McGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really nice

Hi to all we've communicated with over the past months. We've decided to bow out and try to achieve our dreams elsewhere (not sure where but going to re-focus here). We've had lots of emotional hurdles over the last months, not just the usual and so feel we have to get things straight here before making such a move that might threaten everything we have left (that sounds dramatic!).
So we wish those already there good fortune and those still going through the process the best of luck and hope your wishes come true - we'll keep an eye on things!
Old Feb 21st 2008, 6:00 am
Just Joined

mildred is a jewel in the roughmildred is a jewel in the roughmildred is a jewel in the roughmildred is a jewel in the rough

I think this may be sensible under the circumstances. Have contacted more plumbing companies in NZ and cannot get anyone to show any interest without WTR in place. Could spend money on a plane ticket to NZ to speak to them in person but can't see them changing their mind without this wtr.

I know whatever we decide we need to re-evaluate our lifestyle hear. If my husband stays with his present employer it will be the death of him. They may this morning have announced record profits but they are only interest in their share holders not the staff who they work like pit ponies.

I do wish you all the best. Perhaps we should all re-train as hair dressers then we won't be faced with this predicament.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Riverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud of

Hiya All
Yet another newbie who is now thinking of making the move. I have been reading with interest to everything people have to say. I too am a FCO with a company contracting to Transco. I would be very interested to hear if this sort of work is carried out in NZ.
Qualifications:
City and Guilds Advanced Certificate in Plumbing
City and Guilds Craft Certificate in Plumbing
ACS (current): CCN1, MET1, MET4, REGT1, CESP1
ACS: (now expired)-COCN1, TPCP1A, ICPN1,
ACOPS (now expired)- Natural Gas, Lpg, Catering Equipment,
Burner Control and Combustion, Leisure equipment
Lpg Calor Gas Certificate…… Dealer Part One
N.V.Q. Level 2 Engineering Assembly, Mechanical
GCE '0' levels in; Mathematics [C], English Language [C], Art [C],
Geography [C], English Literature [D], Physics [D], Biology [E]
Basic Welding Certificate, Full driving licence
Old Feb 21st 2008, 10:39 am
Just Joined

bigfoot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Riverside
Hiya All
Yet another newbie who is now thinking of making the move. I have been reading with interest to everything people have to say. I too am a FCO with a company contracting to Transco. I would be very interested to hear if this sort of work is carried out in NZ.
Hello, there is a gas emergency service, no idea how it operates, think the population thing may be a factor as regards to an abundance of jobs in this field.

NZ population 4,258,735ish, natural gas on north island only.

versus

UK 21 million gas consumers, 82,000 miles of gas network at least.
6.5 million calls each year and around 1.4 million gas escape reports a year.

God knows what sort of quals they would req, can't see them recognizing
CODNESP1, and EM73 assessments.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 6:49 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by McGowans
Hi to all we've communicated with over the past months. We've decided to bow out and try to achieve our dreams elsewhere (not sure where but going to re-focus here). We've had lots of emotional hurdles over the last months, not just the usual and so feel we have to get things straight here before making such a move that might threaten everything we have left (that sounds dramatic!).
So we wish those already there good fortune and those still going through the process the best of luck and hope your wishes come true - we'll keep an eye on things!
Well kudos to you! It's a great thing to recognise and realise that it actually won't be the best thing you could do, even if you take a chance. Many many best wishes to you and yours.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

roshandden is an unknown quantity at this point

I too am a gasfitter ex BG apprentice served.29 years experience.
We are at the EOI stage at the moment, me the wife and our 10 yr old son.
We will keep you posted with the progress we make throughout this, ....what may become a massive ordeal?

We were selected from the pool 3 weeks ago and still waiting to hear if we will be invited to apply for residence, fingers tightly crossedx

I know its not going to be an ordeal, having visited NZ twice and loved every second of the most beautiful place on the planet.I am extremely interested in the advise from you, this will no doubt make things easier if we know how to approach the forms...

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 22nd 2008 at 7:30 pm. Reason: that's better. couldn't make it out. looked like you were talking back to yourself LOL
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 7:35 pm
`

I too am a gasfitter ex BG apprentice served.29 years experience.
We are at the EOI stage at the moment, me the wife and our 10 yr old son.
We will keep you posted with the progress we make throughout this, ....what may become a massive ordeal?

We were selected from the pool 3 weeks ago and still waiting to hear if we will be invited to apply for residence, fingers tightly crossedx

I know its not going to be an ordeal, having visited NZ twice and loved every second of the most beautiful place on the planet.I am extremely interested in the advise from you, this will no doubt make things easier if we know how to approach the forms...

The very first thing any gasfitter should do with regard to the emigration process, is to have the gas qualifications and work experience assessed by the PGDB.
You need that PGDB letter stating a positive assessment outcome above all else really.

No matter what type of gaswork you do, the PGDB will want to see a formal qualification and training plus CORGI registration or similar. They are looking for the overseas quals to match theirs.

NZIS will want to know that your UK quals compare . They use the PGDB assessment for this.

Have you all applied for the PGDB assessment ?

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 23rd 2008 at 4:46 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 4:44 am
`

Hiya All
Qualifications:
City and Guilds Advanced Certificate in Plumbing
City and Guilds Craft Certificate in Plumbing
ACS (current): CCN1, MET1, MET4, REGT1, CESP1
As you have C&G 1 and advanced, you can come into NZ with your plumbing qualifications and then work as a plumber. I take it you did an apprenticeship.

Plumber is on the long term shortage list and you would be able to pick up a job almost anywhere in New Zealand.

With the gas, you will need to also show CORGI reg . There is some reticulated gas in New Zealand, but for many areas it is bottled gas. Gas is on the immediate shortage list only.

With either, all your NZ work must be supervised and signed off until you attain your PGDB NZ registrations for plumbing and/or gasfitting.

Biology [E]
You weren't that interested in the birds and bees back then eh?
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Riverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud of

more interested in the practical rather than the theory!!
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

With regard to Corgi... I have almost always worked under a companys registration, rather than having my own. I do have a corgi id card however.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 1:46 am
`

more interested in the practical rather than the theory!!

With regard to Corgi... I have almost always worked under a companys registration, rather than having my own. I do have a corgi id card however.
A certified copy of the CORGI ID card [ back and front] should do it.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 2:12 am
Just Joined

mildred is a jewel in the roughmildred is a jewel in the roughmildred is a jewel in the roughmildred is a jewel in the rough

Well based on the following e-mail back from NZIS we must have been unlucky with the Companies/agencies we've approached!

Thank you for your email. Again I apologise for the mistake that has happened and can totally understand your feelings about this. I have forwarded your email to my Manager who will need to clear a reimbursement for your medical fees with our Regional Manager. I will let you know the outcome.

Just to let you know, we would never offer residence to a gasfitter or plumber without a job offer before they got to NZ. The reason is that they need to have registration before we can offer residence. I have copied below our policy with dealing with plumbers and gasfitters under skilled migrant policy:

Applicants with Job Offers: You are required to obtain a Plumber/Gasfitters Limited Certificate please contact the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board www.pgdb.co.nz. Residence can then be granted once this has been obtained.

Applicants without Job Offers: You are required to provide evidence that you have been in touch with the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board www.pgdb.co.nz This evidence should come in the form of a letter from them stating that they have evaluated your credentials towards registration as a plumber/gasfitter and may work for an employer in NZ under supervision until Registration is granted. A work to residence visa is granted in this instance.

I know you have mentioned already that you have been in contact with numerous NZ companies and agencies that have stated they would not offer employment to someone without a visa, however I must advise you that we do get applicants in your situation who are able to obtain job offers. Perhaps you could present my emails or explain your situation to an employer or agent and source a job offer based on this? It is totally up to you of course, but it is part of my role to ensure you are aware of all your options.

Please let me know your thoughts on this and I will be in contact once I hear the outcome of your medicals reimbursement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.