Reload this Page >

Gas engineer hoping to emigrate with wife and 2 children

Gas engineer hoping to emigrate with wife and 2 children

Old Jun 10th 2021, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Gallagher09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gas engineer hoping to emigrate with wife and 2 children

Hi there ,
I have recently been successful in getting a job as hopefully a gas engineer if not plumber for a company in Napier who is offering a relocation package , I was just seeing if there are any engineers out there who have gone through the process with pdgb ?

I have recently applied for category A and sent all my certificates and qualifications with all my evidence but was wondering how long the process and likelihood of being accepted for a gas engineer role?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated .
Old Jun 11th 2021, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gas engineer hoping to emigrate with wife and 2 children

Hey,
Just letting you know a mate's experience as you did say any advice appreciated.
So, back in the UK pre 2012 we had a residential Homeserve maintenance contract for the boiler/heating system & whenever we needed an engineer the same guy always appeared. So one day he's fixing the boiler back home in Preston and mentions this will be the last time he'll be coming as he's migrating to NZ......Funny that as our international shippers were due to pack us up later that week before we headed to NZ.
Anyways so fast forward a few months or so, we're in Wellington and he knocks on our door. He's in the country for 2 weeks trying to land a job around Auckland and decided to have a rental car "day trip" to see us ha ha yeah right!!!
Eventually after a couple years & deciding they seriously wanted to migrate, he did manage to get a job with a company in Pukekohe - South Auckland. This guy is a 20 + year UK experienced gas engineer / fitter and although he worked for Homeserve he also had his own business in NW England. So they get through the visa process and the family travel over to start a new life - 2 adults/3 kids. He struggled with the PGDB registration. He had to do some sort of week long intensive bridging course (at his expense / didn't get paid from his job that week), ironically I think in Hawkes Bay and also had to do a week long intensive First Aider course (at his expense / didn't get paid from his job that week). He loved the laid back attitude of the company he worked for, early knock off on Fridays for beers and a bbq at the bosses house etc, but hated the job, hated the actual work he was doing which was more plumbing and less gas fitting and hated the pay which was nowhere near what he expected being so experienced and the hours long. Didn't get any of the better work/life balance he expected. He was pretty much treated like an apprentice and they expected him to be crawling under houses/floorboards and being so experienced he was training all the other guys who were supposed to be training him. He managed to stick it out for nearly a year, struggled with money as the pay was so bad etc. He eventually resigned and it looked likely they were going back to the UK but we pointed them to look elsewhere in NZ first as Auckland is the most expensive place on the friggin planet!!! Ideally they wanted to live rural, have a lot of land and some livestock etc. He spotted a job on offer down in Palmerston North, which is a place we've always liked even though many people take the pi** out of it. The job was in property maintenance management for the local council - he got offered it and hasn't looked back. They bought an old 1920's cottage and farm out near Fielding with 6 hectares of land and has sheep and cows etc now. Loves his life. Still not rolling in cash but way better off than they were in Auckland. Slowly renovating the property. His Mrs was like an auxiliary nurse in the UK, but started training to be an ambulance technician/paramedic assistant and is now through all of her assessments etc and working full time for the local St. John Ambulance Service as a paid employee which is a feat unto itself being that it is self funded. Has been a struggle for them but in a way better space now.

You may not have any issues in your gas fitting career here. Maybe this guy just went the wrong route and accepted the wrong type of job ? All I know of it in NZ is through his experience. He spoke of it being hard undervalued work with long hours. As a starting point, pay will be low....in the $20's / hr until you have the registration and you have proved yourself then it should rise to maybe $32-$35 / hr. If you have your own business here doing gas fitting / plumbing then maybe you'd earn more ?
Sorry, zero help I know but hopefully this is a bit of negative to consider in all the positive feedback you've had.
Old Jun 11th 2021, 12:53 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Gallagher09
Hi there ,
I have recently been successful in getting a job as hopefully a gas engineer if not plumber for a company in Napier who is offering a relocation package , I was just seeing if there are any engineers out there who have gone through the process with pdgb ?

I have recently applied for category A and sent all my certificates and qualifications with all my evidence but was wondering how long the process and likelihood of being accepted for a gas engineer role?

My husband did , however this was way back starting in 2004.

He is a time served C&G advanced plumber and gasfitter = apprenticeship + corgi such as it was. He had around 30+ years under his belt before we arrived in NZ. We came in under his occupation as plumbers/gasfitters were then considered in absolute shortage.

He undertook all that the pdgb required over the next few years and retired as a craftsman certifying plumber and gasfitter. Obviously we still know several plumbers/gasfitters who came in from overseas still working in the trade

The requirements from the PGDB do alter quite often. We may be able to answer some of your questions .

What is your understanding of the process?
What has the employer offering you the job told you ?

Gasfitter does not appear currently on the NZ immigration shortage list at all. Plumber is on the construction and infrastructure shortage list . Any job offer must match the trade you come in under and vice verse. Plumbers , gasfitters and drainlayers are separate .

Several of the visa policies are currently postponed due to Covid.
Under what visa policy will you be arriving please?

Old Jun 11th 2021, 6:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Hey,
Just letting you know a mate's experience as you did say any advice appreciated.
So, back in the UK pre 2012 we had a residential Homeserve maintenance contract for the boiler/heating system & whenever we needed an engineer the same guy always appeared. So one day he's fixing the boiler back home in Preston and mentions this will be the last time he'll be coming as he's migrating to NZ......Funny that as our international shippers were due to pack us up later that week before we headed to NZ.
Anyways so fast forward a few months or so, we're in Wellington and he knocks on our door. He's in the country for 2 weeks trying to land a job around Auckland and decided to have a rental car "day trip" to see us ha ha yeah right!!!
Eventually after a couple years & deciding they seriously wanted to migrate, he did manage to get a job with a company in Pukekohe - South Auckland. This guy is a 20 + year UK experienced gas engineer / fitter and although he worked for Homeserve he also had his own business in NW England. So they get through the visa process and the family travel over to start a new life - 2 adults/3 kids. He struggled with the PGDB registration. He had to do some sort of week long intensive bridging course (at his expense / didn't get paid from his job that week), ironically I think in Hawkes Bay and also had to do a week long intensive First Aider course (at his expense / didn't get paid from his job that week). He loved the laid back attitude of the company he worked for, early knock off on Fridays for beers and a bbq at the bosses house etc, but hated the job, hated the actual work he was doing which was more plumbing and less gas fitting and hated the pay which was nowhere near what he expected being so experienced and the hours long. Didn't get any of the better work/life balance he expected. He was pretty much treated like an apprentice and they expected him to be crawling under houses/floorboards and being so experienced he was training all the other guys who were supposed to be training him. He managed to stick it out for nearly a year, struggled with money as the pay was so bad etc. He eventually resigned and it looked likely they were going back to the UK but we pointed them to look elsewhere in NZ first as Auckland is the most expensive place on the friggin planet!!! Ideally they wanted to live rural, have a lot of land and some livestock etc. He spotted a job on offer down in Palmerston North, which is a place we've always liked even though many people take the pi** out of it. The job was in property maintenance management for the local council - he got offered it and hasn't looked back. They bought an old 1920's cottage and farm out near Fielding with 6 hectares of land and has sheep and cows etc now. Loves his life. Still not rolling in cash but way better off than they were in Auckland. Slowly renovating the property. His Mrs was like an auxiliary nurse in the UK, but started training to be an ambulance technician/paramedic assistant and is now through all of her assessments etc and working full time for the local St. John Ambulance Service as a paid employee which is a feat unto itself being that it is self funded. Has been a struggle for them but in a way better space now.

You may not have any issues in your gas fitting career here. Maybe this guy just went the wrong route and accepted the wrong type of job ? All I know of it in NZ is through his experience. He spoke of it being hard undervalued work with long hours. As a starting point, pay will be low....in the $20's / hr until you have the registration and you have proved yourself then it should rise to maybe $32-$35 / hr. If you have your own business here doing gas fitting / plumbing then maybe you'd earn more ?
Sorry, zero help I know but hopefully this is a bit of negative to consider in all the positive feedback you've had.
Thank you very much for the reply .

It is great to hear someone else's journey, I'm lucky enough to to have family and friends who live around napier and someone who works for the construction company itself so I am hoping the outcome of the pdgb will be a positive one.

I have 14 years of experience, and my day to day could be anything from servicing boiler, installing boiler to fitting bathrooms so fingers crossed pgdb will see that.

In my life at the moment i don't deem much in a negative way , all opinions are a positive helpful thing so thank you very much
Old Jun 11th 2021, 6:52 am
`

I'm lucky enough to to have family and friends who live around napier and someone who works for the construction company itself so I am hoping the outcome of the pdgb will be a positive one.
Be careful with that. If the NZ Dept of Labour and NZ Immy think this is not a bona fide job offer that has been freely advertised to all and sundry here in NZ + also to apprentices etc, then it will be no good.

PGDB will not care. It will hold no weight.

I have 14 years of experience, and my day to day could be anything from servicing boiler, installing boiler to fitting bathrooms so fingers crossed pgdb will see that.
PGDB have a tick list they follow. That in turn needs to match the NZQA standard for the trade here in NZ.

Old Jun 11th 2021, 6:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
My husband did , however this was way back starting in 2004.

He is a time served C&G advanced plumber and gasfitter = apprenticeship + corgi such as it was. He had around 30+ years under his belt before we arrived in NZ. We came in under his occupation as plumbers/gasfitters were then considered in absolute shortage.

He undertook all that the pdgb required over the next few years and retired as a craftsman certifying plumber and gasfitter. Obviously we still know several plumbers/gasfitters who came in from overseas still working in the trade

The requirements from the PGDB do alter quite often. We may be able to answer some of your questions .

What is your understanding of the process?
What has the employer offering you the job told you ?

Gasfitter does not appear currently on the NZ immigration shortage list at all. Plumber is on the construction and infrastructure shortage list . Any job offer must match the trade you come in under and vice verse. Plumbers , gasfitters and drainlayers are separate .

Several of the visa policies are currently postponed due to Covid.
Under what visa policy will you be arriving please?
Hi there , thank you for your reply it and really helpful.

That is great to hear of you'r husbands experience.
Do you know what classification pdgb gave him before coming over?

The company have asked me to be assessed by pdgb before offering me the final contract which is understandable.

So I have gathered all my certificates, which includes plumbing , gas , unvented , legionnaires, solar , air source pumps and evidence from my company to confirm this. Now I have sent this to pdgb and paid around £400 im assuming they look at my evidence then tell me what stage I'd be able to work at ...then I would relay that information to the company and they would tell me what wage they would offer plus relocation package etc.

The company have advised on the essential skills visa which is changing in October, I haven't applied as of yet as I wanted to see what package the company Will offer ... I fully understand borders are closed and the company understand so there is no rush but we have our eyes set on January but we will see how things go in the mean time.

Thank you
Old Jun 11th 2021, 6:59 am
Just Joined

Be careful with that. If the NZ Dept of Labour and NZ Immy think this is not a bona fide job offer that has been freely advertised to all and sundry here in NZ + also to apprentices etc, then it will be no good.

PGDB will not care. It will hold no weight.

PGDB have a tick list they follow. That in turn needs to match the NZQA standard for the trade here in NZ.

Yeah totally understand your point . I was in no way pushed to go for the job ot anything like that.

I have printed off the ticklist to understand what I need so hopefully it will be positive feedback .
Old Jun 11th 2021, 8:23 am
`

Yeah totally understand your point . I was in no way pushed to go for the job ot anything like that.

I have printed off the ticklist to understand what I need so hopefully it will be positive feedback .
Not if you were pushed. More if someone in NZ could take or be trained for that vacancy instead of importing you .
Old Jun 14th 2021, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Perro is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there ,

100% on the first reply.
I live in Napier, my house price has literally gone through the stratosphere, which is good as we're moving to oz.
wages here are low, cost of living high, property few & far between, that many people on a viewing at Tom parker ave this weekend they had a mobile coffee shop, you'll need at least $800k for a house, rentals are few & far between.
I'm an electrician, on $35 an hour, which is good for here, the work is not at all what I'm used to & pretty sub standard.
gas fitting wise you would probably be fitting gas infinity heaters & gas fires, central heating is beyond most budgets here.
Best of luck with your plans, be prepared to be treated as an apprentice & learn the phrase"We don't do it like that here, it doesn't work"
Old Jun 14th 2021, 10:59 pm
`

Originally Posted by Perro
100% on the first reply.
I live in Napier, my house price has literally gone through the stratosphere, which is good as we're moving to oz.
wages here are low, cost of living high, property few & far between, that many people on a viewing at Tom parker ave this weekend they had a mobile coffee shop, you'll need at least $800k for a house, rentals are few & far between.
I'm an electrician, on $35 an hour, which is good for here, the work is not at all what I'm used to & pretty sub standard.
gas fitting wise you would probably be fitting gas infinity heaters & gas fires, central heating is beyond most budgets here.
Best of luck with your plans, be prepared to be treated as an apprentice & learn the phrase"We don't do it like that here, it doesn't work"
Yes . Same here in the Nelson region.

If we were far younger we would be giving Oz a go too.
Old Jun 15th 2021, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Just something to be aware of, theres still years worth of work ahead but youd want to read up on Cindy's plan going forward with gas...
https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/12414...-installations
Old Jun 15th 2021, 4:04 am
`

Originally Posted by Timmy Chch
Just something to be aware of, theres still years worth of work ahead but youd want to read up on Cindy's plan going forward with gas...
https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/12414...-installations
Actually this has been in the pipeline for rather a long time, pun intended. It will have no impact on this tradesman's current plans. As he is likely also a plumber and that much of NZ does not rely on gas in their homes, it is unlikely to find him short of employment or work in the trade. Those companies that deal solely with lpg or natural gas atm will be looking to diversify.

For the OP - the name Cindy is used as a derogatory term for the current PM.

I believe you mean the Climate Change Commission report , rather than a political individual .

Here is something that is not politically motivated scare mongering from the GasHub

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 15th 2021 at 4:07 am.
Old Jun 15th 2021, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Perro is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes . Same here in the Nelson region.

If we were far younger we would be giving Oz a go too.
Sound advice on looking at oz, we're heading over after working there pre covid, I'm still waiting on all the shovel ready projects to start here, the next thing is who is going to pay for them in the long run, plus all the other debt?
Another major difference here, I'm offered a casual job in Auckland paying $38 an hour, but no LAHA, travel, penalty rates.
I get offered a job in Australia & get LAHA, travel, flights & penalty rates, 9.5% super, that's why many tradies are packing up & moving on.
I like NZ, it's been good, but I can't afford it from a family point of view.
Old Jun 15th 2021, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Perro
100% on the first reply.
Hi , thank you for your reply and your experience .
My sister , aunty and cousins live in napier so I'm aware of costings and house prices etc .

I've been doing my research on different appliances theybuse for heating and hot water and confident I can work on all and I also expect to be treated as a apprentice at first until i earn my reputation like any other company. I hear there is a kiwi way so that will have to be learnt .
Old Jun 15th 2021, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=BEVS;13017637]Yes . Same here in the Nelson region.

If we were far younger we would be giving Oz a go too.[/QUOTE

I am aware of this , the united kingdom have also signed up to go carbon neutral by then .

We are currently in training for different heating and hot water systems in preparation.

Thank you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.