British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   garden tools etc (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/garden-tools-etc-752623/)

pcmay10 Mar 24th 2012 2:49 pm

garden tools etc

hi all,how clean do garden tools/furniture/small rotavator etc need to be,did people do there own or does it need certifying

concretepump Mar 24th 2012 6:54 pm

Re: garden tools etc

Originally Posted by pcmay10 (Post 9970151)
hi all,how clean do garden tools/furniture/small rotavator etc need to be,did people do there own or does it need certifying

use a power washer ,if you have one or you can hire one then spray every thing in jeyes fluid, some tools you can paint with hammerite,

as long as theres no dirt or grass ect they will be ok rust is okay but get off the flaky bits, :thumbsup:

sparkie down under Mar 24th 2012 7:19 pm

we had everything steam cleaned by a company on our local industrial estate. But when we got here because they didn't give us a certificate for all the items that had been cleaned we were forced to us a MAF approved steam cleaner here - and his bill was huge!
I'd get it checked out before you do anything

sirplug Mar 24th 2012 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by concretepump (Post 9970396)
use a power washer ,if you have one or you can hire one then spray every thing in jeyes fluid, some tools you can paint with hammerite,

as long as theres no dirt or grass ect they will be ok rust is okay but get off the flaky bits, :thumbsup:

I simply cleaned everything with warm soapy water and then painted them with hammerite. Once dry, wiped them with jeyes liquid, to make sure that they smelled 'clean'.

MAF were more than happy

sparkie down under Mar 24th 2012 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by sirplug (Post 9970478)

MAF were more than happy

Lucky you:thumbsup:

concretepump Mar 24th 2012 9:20 pm

I simply cleaned everything with warm soapy water and then painted them with hammerite. Once dry, wiped them with jeyes liquid, to make sure that they smelled 'clean'.

MAF were more than happy

yep, i did the same there was some leaves in a garden pot took them away that was it

BEVS Mar 25th 2012 6:09 am

MAF were more than happy

yup. did the same except for the Hammerite. This included trade tools, other tools , garden equipment etc.

No MAF charges at all.

sirplug Mar 25th 2012 7:10 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9971020)
yup. did the same except for the Hammerite. This included trade tools, other tools , garden equipment etc.

No MAF charges at all.

All my trade tools, garage equipment, jacks and stands were wiped or sprayed with Jeyes, without issue. Anything that lived in the garden, got a good clean and hammerite to hide rust.

Jeyes is a wonder liquid that MAF love!:thumbsup:

RobDon Mar 25th 2012 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by sirplug (Post 9971056)
Jeyes is a wonder liquid that MAF love!:thumbsup:

Would have agree with that!! :thumbup:

julesnye Mar 26th 2012 2:45 am

MAF were more than happy

this was exactly what I did to all my garden tools.:thumbsup: