Garden Terror

Old Apr 8th 2014, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice
Default Garden Terror

Stupidly I thought I was safe in the garden finishing off some paving. Wearing shorts I ventured a little too far onto the garden. Within moments I could feel the pain in the back of a leg and a sand-fly having an enormous breakfast.

Is there a time when these mini-draculas are not on the rampage?
Old Apr 8th 2014, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

britsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Garden Terror

I've just put this on another post but have you tried aerogard insect repellant? It works great for me. I never get bitten by anything when I use it and as someone with really sensitive skin I have not had even one skin reaction in all that time. When I forget to use it the bites drive me crazy. The little buggers love us expats.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

I usually have a quick spray of some DEET from an aerosol before heading out into the garden, but this time I was trying to finish off a little job on the paved patio thinking they'd be on the lawn only. It was only when I overstepped a few inches that they attacked and attached. I'll not be so quick in future.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 8:19 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I think the body builds up immunity to them in due course. It takes about 1000 bites if I recall correctly. You should be immune in no time at all.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks. I cannot be far off already ;o)
Old Apr 14th 2014, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

I was bitten by a few when out and reacted quite badly to the first ten but, by the end of the three weeks, my reaction was reducing and was definitely more manageable. I guess years of building up resistance to midges where we live now means I'm more programmed to build resistance quickly. A friend in Nelson said it took her 2-3yrs but she's fine now.

One scary thing was a bite the first night we were there. I was bitten in the night when asleep and my whole forearm swelled! It reduced over a five day period and I kept slapping aloe Vera, tea tree and antibacterial cream on it. I studiously ignored he two bite holes rather an the one hole I had in all the other lumps.