Gangs in NZ

Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

IKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really nice
Default Gangs in NZ

Hi!

Have just been browsing the forum and have become quite alarmed by what I have just read.

An article by Browner recently commented on car mayhem in Christchurch by gangs of youths.

Is their a gang culture in NZ? Are some areas worse than others - so bad that you wanted want to live there or go out at night?
Sorry but am a tad disturbed now by that article. Will have to do some more research!

Thanks Browner for puting that article up though, is NZ worse than the Uk for gangs?

Thanks,
Isabelle
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:43 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gangs in NZ

Originally Posted by IKlapwijk
Hi!

Have just been browsing the forum and have become quite alarmed by what I have just read.

An article by Browner recently commented on car mayhem in Christchurch by gangs of youths.

Is their a gang culture in NZ? Are some areas worse than others - so bad that you wanted want to live there or go out at night?
Sorry but am a tad disturbed now by that article. Will have to do some more research!

Thanks Browner for puting that article up though, is NZ worse than the Uk for gangs?

Thanks,
Isabelle

I've seen two gang 'type' old guys cruising on their gorgeous Harleys once in Glenfield. And one man with a full face moko who might or then again, might not, have been in a gang. And I've been here nearly four years.

Saying that whole districts (e.g. Hawkes Bay, Northland) are 'gang areas' is just scaremongering. There are areas (or streets) within those areas that have gangs in them but there are vast areas that have no trouble at all.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!

Thanks,
Isabelle
"An article by Browner recently commented on car mayhem in Christchurch by gangs of youths"

Hahaha classic, yes there is some neds who run about in thier cars but no worse than any bic city in the UK.

As for the question is NZ worse than Uk for gangs ........... well I came from Glasgow and there are certain areas I would not go during the day there never mind the night but here in CHch I feel safe regrdless of time of day
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Gangs affect everyone. They burgle, steal cars, deal drugs, do grafitti, vandalism, etc., and they don't usually stay in their own neighborhoods to do most of it. (I once was in a room with five teachers and ALL of them had been burgled and none of them lived in the poor south Auckland suburbs).

Young gang member aspirants like to prove their worth by doing these things too, but you might not recognize them as readily as the more seasoned members.

What is alarming is that a country with such a low population should have social problems of this magnitude. Presumably NZ doesn't have the urban crowding and the poverty that you see in places where gangs thrive. I think because there are much fewer people you actually notice these things more, and they are more likely to affect you directly, even if you don't live in poor areas.

I cannot agree that there are huge areas where gangs and their activities don't exist. It just doesn't seem so when you travel around the country. There is so much petty vandalism and grafitti here too...and the hoons.

Comparing the worst of Britain to NZ really isn't helpful. I mean, many places in the world are less scary than notoriously crime-ridden cities.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Piffle

NZ is gangs through and through.
And these are real gangs , not just groups of bored schoolkids.
They are largely professional dealers of drugs, they war with each other, and if you cross them you are history.

Do your own research on Mongrel Mob, Killer Bees, Black Power to name just a few.

Just one recent example, a nice man running a pub in nice rural Ongaonga came across a Mongrel Mob man beating hell out of a woman. He tried to intervene, but was of course stabbed to death for his pain.

His remaining family are scared stiff, even though they have of course done nothing wrong.

Witnesses are often intimidated, and even if they arent, they believe they will be so keep quiet.

You dont have to take if from me, go out there and research it.

As for Boy Racers, well I have never encountered ANYTHING in the UK like there is all over NZ
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alanmacc
"An article by Browner recently commented on car mayhem in Christchurch by gangs of youths"

Hahaha classic, yes there is some neds who run about in thier cars but no worse than any bic city in the UK.

As for the question is NZ worse than Uk for gangs ........... well I came from Glasgow and there are certain areas I would not go during the day there never mind the night but here in CHch I feel safe regrdless of time of day
Yes in concur with the above. NZ is not some haven where sheep graze peacefully and everyone is deliriously happy. NZ is full of shitty stuff...gangs, drugs, boy racers in their foul motor cars and so on. BUT the latter are not a reasons to desist from emigrating here. NZ is a wonderful place for many reasons..it also has a dark side as mentioned previously.

I have been here 4 years now in what is deemed as one of the less desirable towns and I have never been so content. Life is what you make it to a degree..if your neighbourhood is crap (just like my last one in the UK was)..its simple..move. We are not rooted like the trees..just find somewhere more acceptable..but this time research more. NZ is not a den of badness, said badness happens but its not rife.

I like NZ rather a lot. Which is nice.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

They are largely professional dealers of drugs, they war with each other, and if you cross them you are history.

I think you will find the same of the mafia in Glasgow, New York or Naples. What makes gangs in NZ any worse than the drug barons in any other country? Piss any mobster of and they do your legs.

Do you really believe that the UK is devoid of gangs?

The common theme re safety is that most posters like myself feel way safer here than we did in the UK. I would NEVER venture into Northampton town centre ever during the night unless I had my police uniform on!! Now that was a scarey place. I have been out in Palmy of a night and have never felt intimidated.

I have never crossed a gang member and unless I start trading drugs or steal his woman it ain't gonna happen. We live parallel lives. I am a house wifey sort of bloke 50 something with 3 very young kids to raise and the baddest shit I get up to is using the time on others' parking meters when they have left said spot vacant.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

And your point is? We all know they exist. And I would not want to live next door to one. Fortunately there are about a million or so homes that are no where near any of the gang houses or their activities.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

awww you forgot the Triads...what does their patch look like? Favourite trick to chop up bodies, stuff them into a suitcase. Kidnapping runs a close second, no drug dealing though so thats o.k. Nice.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

looks like that yellow one in the bottom row might be a bit of an import too....
heavens what are we allowing into the county...
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:49 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't be a problem for most folk (luckily). I've lived here for four years and never had any trouble even when out drinking in some quite dodgy places .

I do wish the court system, prison service and police would deal with them however. It's a really f:curse:cking stupid problem to have in a country the size of New Zealand .
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:52 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks,
Isabelle
Isabelle,

If you click on Browner's name and then "view public profile" you can then click on "Find All Threads by Browner." From the half a dozen or so provided by him you should be able to glean much of which is being discussed all over again regarding gangs, boy racers, noise, pollution etc ...

I would suggest you continue some independant research of your own on the internet, for both sides of the coin and other opinions, if you think what a few posters are telling you on here is enough to make you query your decision to emmigrate.

Alternatively you can use the "Search This Forum" facility on the home page of the NZ forum and search for previous threads on the subjects.

HTH

Last edited by Am Loolah; Feb 24th 2009 at 11:57 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:55 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get bothered by gangs when I go out - whether shopping, dancing or lying in bed on a Saturday night. No doubt there are people that do but I wonder if people see what they want to see sometimes (and yes, I place myself in that category too).
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Shouldn't be a problem for most folk (luckily). I've lived here for four years and never had any trouble even when out drinking in some quite dodgy places .

I do wish the court system, prison service and police would deal with them however. It's a really f:curse:cking stupid problem to have in a country the size of New Zealand .

Toothless and spineless pretty much sums up the judiciary, police (by the 'police' I refer to the frame work they have to operate in) and the penal system in NZ..very much like that of the UK!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.