Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Gaining residency as a qualified counsellor from the UK?

Gaining residency as a qualified counsellor from the UK?

Old Aug 4th 2009, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

philw1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gaining residency as a qualified counsellor from the UK?

Hello

I have an issue regarding my EOI process in terms of me gaining residency as a Counsellor from the UK. I wondered if anyone could give some advice on this as I'm quite anxious about it.

Basically I have studies Counselling from just over 3 years and have my diploma which makes me fully qualified. I have a job offer to me a counsellor in a mental health setting.

My eoi form has come back and it said my qualification wasn't recognised and hasn't been assessed by the NZQA. I'm confident my qualification would be assessed as the same as the NZ equivalent.

However there are issues also in my actual job offer which I put under counsellor NEC and it says how to come under that category you have to have a degree or equivalent. This doesn't make sense through Uk qualification as a degree would not make you a qualified Counsellor. Also a degree in counselling couldnt allow someone to work towards the standards on the NZAC (New Zealand association of Counsellors) since there wouldnt be any supervisor from the UK to write about your practice since the degree doesn't involve counselling practice. This is a requirement on the guidelines.

I'm trying to speak to my eoi advocate and am making as many inquiries as I can. Can anyone shed any light on this please. Thankyou.

Phil
Old Aug 5th 2009, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gaining residency as a qualified counsellor from the UK?

Originally Posted by philw1980
Hello

I have an issue regarding my EOI process in terms of me gaining residency as a Counsellor from the UK. I wondered if anyone could give some advice on this as I'm quite anxious about it.

Basically I have studies Counselling from just over 3 years and have my diploma which makes me fully qualified. I have a job offer to me a counsellor in a mental health setting.

My eoi form has come back and it said my qualification wasn't recognised and hasn't been assessed by the NZQA. I'm confident my qualification would be assessed as the same as the NZ equivalent.

However there are issues also in my actual job offer which I put under counsellor NEC and it says how to come under that category you have to have a degree or equivalent. This doesn't make sense through Uk qualification as a degree would not make you a qualified Counsellor. Also a degree in counselling couldnt allow someone to work towards the standards on the NZAC (New Zealand association of Counsellors) since there wouldnt be any supervisor from the UK to write about your practice since the degree doesn't involve counselling practice. This is a requirement on the guidelines.

I'm trying to speak to my eoi advocate and am making as many inquiries as I can. Can anyone shed any light on this please. Thankyou.

Phil
Hi

No sure I can give you an accurate answer as I am in Australia in Sydney. I also had a post grad qualification as a counsellor and as a psychoanalytical psychotherapist - a very long training of over 10 years. - Not recognised!

In the end I did get my psychotherapy qualification recognised but only as a counselling qualification - the difference - about $30,000 pa. (Phew) In the end I took a very low paid job as a counsellor in the health service and worked my way after a couple of years into management. It was the only way I could get a salary commensurate to my qualifications. The fact is unless you have a MA in psychology (plus) counselling experience or a MA in Counselling your qualifications are not recognised. If you want to earn a decent salary it's best to have a Phd in Psychology.

I know managed Psychologists with MA's and to be honest, many of the UK counsellors I knew were better trained! Perhaps they did not have the academic background but they had more clinical training.

I came into the country on a defacto visa. My counselling qualifications would not have got me a visa. Anyway - Good Luck!