Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Further education in NZ

Further education in NZ

Old May 31st 2009, 9:29 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Further education in NZ

Is there anything similar to the Open University over here. I did consider starting a course over in the UK but never got round to it [the usual problem-laziness!]
Is it possible to do an OU course from the UK whilst in NZ-does anyone know?
Anyway I feel that I should look at buckling down and doing something constructive with my life, after all there are only so many repeats of CSI I can watch

Last edited by Persephone; May 31st 2009 at 9:32 am. Reason: Additional question
Old May 31st 2009, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

highlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to all
Default Re: Further education in NZ

http://extramural.massey.ac.nz
Old May 31st 2009, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
after all there are only so many repeats of CSI I can watch
Or you could just move on to NCIS

Sorry to be flippant, I always love the idea of extra studying til I see the written coursework requirements. Hence I ended up with woodwork and basket weaving....
Old May 31st 2009, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

The open polytechnic in Wellington is affiliated to the Open University in the UK but only offers a fraction of the courses:

http://www.openpolytechnic.ac.nz/

I'm currently studying for a degree with the Open University in the UK, and I have a 3 hour written exam next week - first academic exam in 20 years - not advised when trying to sell the house and make monumental decisions about moving to the other side of the world all in the same week! Once you start a course in the UK you can continue it in NZ. Other than exams (which aren't on every course) all assessments are sent in and received online so you could be anywhere in the world really.

It has been alot of work since I started last Oct (about 15 hours per week, I'm doing English Language, French and Spanish) plus assessments every month but it does keep the brain ticking over!
Old May 31st 2009, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Kiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to behold

Sounds interesting MOSO, whats the name of that course you're doing? or is it a degree ... I started learning Spanish ages ago, but I'd be keen to get back into it ...

Originally Posted by MOSO
The open polytechnic in Wellington is affiliated to the Open University in the UK but only offers a fraction of the courses:

http://www.openpolytechnic.ac.nz/

I'm currently studying for a degree with the Open University in the UK, and I have a 3 hour written exam next week - first academic exam in 20 years - not advised when trying to sell the house and make monumental decisions about moving to the other side of the world all in the same week! Once you start a course in the UK you can continue it in NZ. Other than exams (which aren't on every course) all assessments are sent in and received online so you could be anywhere in the world really.

It has been alot of work since I started last Oct (about 15 hours per week, I'm doing English Language, French and Spanish) plus assessments every month but it does keep the brain ticking over!

Last edited by Kiwi-Irish; May 31st 2009 at 8:29 pm. Reason: Put in a word
Old May 31st 2009, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice

Yes, you can study with the OU outside of the UK, and they are propably the best organisation to consider if wanting to study by correspondance as they are well organised, have years of experience and have a pretty good student support structure - but you pay quite a bit more than you would if resident in the UK. Hope this helps.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 4:43 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all, will have a look at those
I did have a quick look at the open polytechnic one the other day after seeing it advertised but there wasn't anything that interested me-I was thinking of science or history and the poly ones seemed to be more vocational.
Sue
Old Jun 1st 2009, 6:57 am
Queen of the Underworld

Or you could just move on to NCIS

Sorry to be flippant, I always love the idea of extra studying til I see the written coursework requirements. Hence I ended up with woodwork and basket weaving....
Me too! But the plan is to overcome that inbuilt laziness and make myself do something
Old Jun 1st 2009, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Sue

You can do a BA in humanities at the Open Polytechnic but I agree it doesn't have anywhere near the choice of the OU.

http://www.openpolytechnic.ac.nz/pro...mmes/op7020hum

You cannot officially do a UK Open University degree from NZ as you have to have a UK address in order to pay UK fees and NZ isn't in the list of countries where you can pay international fees instead (it's mostly EU countries). I have asked them if it's possible to pay international fees and be in NZ as everything is done online but the official answer is no. If you look on their website there is a list of courses available from NZ but they're mostly IT based http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/count...ewZealand.shtm

The Massey University link from NZ looks like a good bet if you're already in NZ.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

kira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant future

hi persephone,
im an ou student at the moment and im finishing my open degree this year
i rang ou to ask if i could carry on my study when we eventually move to nz and you can, if you are in the middle of studying when you move they will move your exam over there but it does cost more as you arnt a uk resident. i think its worth giving ou a ring and speak to someone as they are really helpful.
ki x
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

Southern Institute of Technology not only offer open uni stuff, but alot of it is FREE, plus they use the internet and tv channel to help learning.... it is limited to certain courses but worth a look

http://www.sit.ac.nz/pages/faculties/faculty?ID=7

Also, kiwiquals is a good website to look up courses and providers http://www.kiwiquals.govt.nz/