British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Further to 'assimilation' thread... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/further-assimilation-thread-507357/)

dreamfish Jan 19th 2008 4:58 am

Further to 'assimilation' thread...

How long did it take for your bodily functions to return to 'normal'.

You dont read about this in the emigration books do you?

You'll have all kindsa weird poos for the first month whilst your gut adjusts to the new food.

Your hair will be permanently greasy till you have established a new hair wash routine with the different water.

Same goes for your skin - probably not used to having so much crap daubed on it day in day out, and coupled with the different (softer) water, it doesnt know whether its coming or going.

You can rely on me to tell you how it is!!! Reckon its a bestseller?!!
:thumbsup:

Maz Jan 19th 2008 5:02 am

Re: Further to 'assimilation' thread...

I think it's just you, dear. :rofl: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ebate/bolt.gif

CAN2NZ Jan 19th 2008 5:03 am

Well, I won't comment directly, but we have noticed that we do not eat the same here as we did before. The selection is not the same, which is expected, but the range of choice is limited. We find that the choice of meat and poultry to be much restricted compared to our previous life and the quality is not quite the same either. However, as I have said before, apples and ice cream are still cheaper, but have you seen the price of butter and cheese lately?

Nerine Jan 19th 2008 5:45 am

:p omg Dreamfish.....you're not drinking the tap water are you?!

dreamfish Jan 19th 2008 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5808789)
I think it's just you, dear. :rofl: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ebate/bolt.gif

not me, er, its about a friend

UKNZAUS Jan 19th 2008 6:31 am

LMAO Kate! :rofl:

My hair is still constantly greasy after nearly 7 months :huh: Tried all sorts of shampoos but nothing makes it nice for more than 36 hours :mad:

dreamfish Jan 19th 2008 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl (Post 5808942)
LMAO Kate! :rofl:

My hair is still constantly greasy after nearly 7 months :huh: Tried all sorts of shampoos but nothing makes it nice for more than 36 hours :mad:

I knew I wasnt alone! :eek:

pioneer7 Jan 19th 2008 6:39 am

Try bottled Sheeps Pee its a well known country cure for greasey hair :sneaky: Just takes a bit of getting used to the smell but used with cattle deoderant you dont notice.
There is another farmyard cure involving cows but not sure on the real effectiveness of it has a side effect but good for areas you want to remove hair from.:thumbsup:

happynz Jan 19th 2008 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 5808863)
:p omg Dreamfish.....you're not drinking the tap water are you?!

I don't know about Wellington's water, but Christchurch's water has been proven to turn men into a buff bronzed Adonis and the women into sultry vixens. All true, cross my heart!

:)

karonious Jan 19th 2008 7:56 am

I got real fat legs in the first few months!! Seemed to be suffering from fluid retention, which I had never been prone to prior to the move. I took a herbal diuretic with a dandelion base and that sorted it out :thumbup:

Nerine Jan 19th 2008 8:21 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5808974)
I don't know about Wellington's water, but Christchurch's water has been proven to turn men into a buff bronzed Adonis and the women into sultry vixens. All true, cross my heart!

:rofl: changes the sex of fish too does it?

happynz Jan 19th 2008 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 5809149)
:rofl: changes the sex of fish too does it?

I don't know. I'm not a fish. Are you a fish? :p

Nerine Jan 19th 2008 11:14 am

If you're think you're a buff bronzed Adonis I'd say what the hell, keep drinking the water :D - obviously a remarkable hallcinogen

irnbru14 Jan 19th 2008 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5808974)

You sure its the water and not the SPeights or Mac's Gold that does that??? :D

smiges33 Jan 19th 2008 11:26 pm

dont know about the food or hair (most of mine gone now :rofl:)but having travelled about the globe it takes 3 weeks to acclimitise to different weather. when i went to the falkland islands kept waking up at 4 in the morning for the first week. very annoying