Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

FURNITURE DO WE TAKE OR LEAVE?

FURNITURE DO WE TAKE OR LEAVE?

Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light
Default FURNITURE DO WE TAKE OR LEAVE?

We have just had an offer on our home, cannot decided wether to put furniture into storage until hopefully we move over to NZ next year
or do we get rid

If we take over, how do I find out the sizes and prices of containers?

Regards
Karen
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:32 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FURNITURE DO WE TAKE OR LEAVE?

Unless you're mega mega rich bring it all

20' container will cost in the region of 3k - 3.5k. A grand or so more for a 40' container. There are loads of removal companies you can google.

I would recomment The Removal Group, they were fab, quick, the cheapest when we enquired and no breakages.

Also, try PSS, Anglo Pacific, Crown Relocations.

We had a 3 bed semi (2 adults, 2 kids, loads of kids stuff, furniture, 55 boxes of tools, bikes all sorts). A 20' container supposedly holds around 146 items/boxes. Our packers got 190 something in ours.

Marine Insurance is cheaper if you use a separate company, such as Letton Percival or you might be able to negotiate this with the removal company you choose.

There have been loads of threads on here, try searching containers or removals
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

maysie has a spectacular aura aboutmaysie has a spectacular aura aboutmaysie has a spectacular aura about

bring it all and then what you dont need or want sell here at a agarage sale
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

jaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Kags1694
We have just had an offer on our home, cannot decided wether to put furniture into storage until hopefully we move over to NZ next year
or do we get rid

If we take over, how do I find out the sizes and prices of containers?

Regards
Karen
Hi we brought everything apart from garden pots etc but are due to recieve our container on friday so will let you know what MAF man won't allow

Jan
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of

20 and 40ft containers seem to be the standards but is it possible to get a smaller container and can anyone provide a guide to prices?
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 10:32 am
Just Joined

andy480 will become famous soon enoughandy480 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CaptainMerton
20 and 40ft containers seem to be the standards but is it possible to get a smaller container and can anyone provide a guide to prices?

20ft and 40ft are the standard sizes for shipping, but i did read somewhere that you can share?

Been looking thruogh my house and i reckon i would only use half a 20ft. Not much for me to take if i do go,
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 10:48 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainMerton
You can share a container and my old mate who used to be an engineer on container ships said don't go for that option unless you have to cause he would be concerned about what else might be loaded in the shared container.
That does not seem to be a problem with anyone I have talked to or read a post from - so he may have been overly cautious.
I'd echo the "bring everything you can" line as most houses over here are larger, with big garages, rupuses, rollouts, etc and you will regret not having it more than if you bring something you don't really need - we left our suction cup shampoo holder, soap dish and bath tidy set as it never stuck to the tiles only to find that all the bathrooms and shower cubicles we have used have those melanine-type flat walls and no soap dishes so ideal for what was left in Blighty .......grrrr.........
The one exception may be the large wardrobe as almost every house has built-in wardrobes (think 60s and 70s Barrat "boxes" with one wardrobe space on each side of the party walls between bedrooms). Most of the houses without these have been modified by Pomms with large wardrobes. Our large made-to-measure robe is in the living room and used to hang coats, store the cut glass and look kinda out of place!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

KIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really nice

hi karen

i know we were in the same quandry as you whether to take or to leave behind, and we have decided to leave it all behind to go and sell the house fully furnished and just start afresh again.
the only things that will be going are photos, cd's, books, pictures ourselves and the cats.
good luck with finding someone with your container

with regards

kirstie
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 11:21 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KIRSTIE
hi karen

i know we were in the same quandry as you whether to take or to leave behind, and we have decided to leave it all behind to go and sell the house fully furnished and just start afresh again.
the only things that will be going are photos, cd's, books, pictures ourselves and the cats.
good luck with finding someone with your container

with regards

kirstie
Hi KIRSTIE, I'd bring tools if you can as they can be expensive - you could use one of the companies that does air freight for that. If you are coming with PR then customs will not land you with a duty/tax bill for your own items if they have been used - - - if you bring them in when you arrive. However, if you then decide to import more stuff they will sting you for duty, etc. Good luck. LL
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 11:26 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

We came over in April and used Crown
My inlaws are due out hopefully in October and had Crown round to give them a quote last week, on our reccomendation.

The theiving g*ts want £900 more than we paid for the same size container, packed from exactly the same style of house as ours, round the corner from our old house.

I know people are supposed to be leaving in their droves and you would expect someone to take advantage of that exodus but a 25% rise in 5 months

Needless to say, they are shopping around
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

KIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really nice

Hi Ian

Thankyou i will let paul know, would we just then check that in with the rest of our luggage as long as it is properly packed, as they weigh a ton (well not literally) but really heavyor does this go under a different classification?

with regards

kirstie

i promise one day paul will post for himself
Old Sep 4th 2007, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

We used Crown & brought the lot & pleased we did. It helped with the settling in process as well, having your own stuff around you.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

I can understand the notion of 'well lets just go and start everything fresh' but apart from liking the things you currently have, its surely a huge cost compared to sending what you already have isn't it?

We thought about selling everything and sending as little as possible but when you look at what people will pay for even near new expensive items 2nd hand in the UK......its peanuts compared to what you paid out for it.

We have packed every single last thing as when you walk around a house and tot up what you'd have to pay to replace the 'whole' lot it gets frightening and even more so if you compared to NZ replacement cost no doubt?
Old Sep 4th 2007, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

maysie has a spectacular aura aboutmaysie has a spectacular aura aboutmaysie has a spectacular aura about

we regret not bringing sofas, beds, clothes, tools,dining table and chairs. glad we left wardrobes. its all very well starting over again but it is expensive i would say it probably has cost us $60k ish. nice to have all new but a lot of money to shell out once you earn kiwi dollar.

We did bring bikes, golf clubs, photos, cd's and dvds computer equipment and personal stuff but only brought 6 suitcases of clothes as we were led to belive you didnt need coats and sweatshirts etc here. been here nearly 2 years now... bring your winter stuff!!!
Old Sep 4th 2007, 8:30 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by KIRSTIE
Hi Ian

Thankyou i will let paul know, would we just then check that in with the rest of our luggage as long as it is properly packed, as they weigh a ton (well not literally) but really heavyor does this go under a different classification?

with regards

kirstie

i promise one day paul will post for himself
those are gonna be expensive by air, as it goes on volume and weight, cheaper by sea - excess baggae comapny or similar can advise, but if you are desperate I can find out the docs from our moving stuff (we almost sent some air freight but managed all in container/suitcases in the end, phew!!). I echo the posts of others, bring your stuff, pay the container people, unless all you have is cheap/old/tatty you will find it expensive here and you will be earning less than you expect......says the peanut earning monkey!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.