British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Furnished rentals (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/furnished-rentals-925964/)

hallie_day Jun 24th 2019 4:21 pm

Furnished rentals

Now we have accepted an offer on our London home sh*t's getting real and I'm starting to worry about the finer points of our move like where the hell are we going to live and where will the kids go to school?!

We are moving to the North Shore but that's where I have stalled. We will have enough money to buy a house outright or with a tiny mortgage, but obviously this takes time despite being faster than in the UK. We (myself, husband and kids 6 and 10) can live with the in-laws for a couple of weeks but that's my limit so we will obviously have to rent. But we won't have our stuff for 2-3 months and I haven't seen many (if any) furnished houses. We only need the big furniture items - beds, sofa and table as we can borrow other bits and bobs. I'm going to see if any friends / friends of friends need house sitting etc and maybe we can cobble together some places to stay.

And there is the problem of schools - we don't know where we will end up permanently and we are looking at Birkenhead/Chatswood or Takapuna/Milford and even still open to the idea of the bays.... I don't want to have to move the kids or travel to school so they live away from friends.

What do people do when they first move over? It's a bloody minefireld.

BEVS Jun 24th 2019 9:56 pm

Re: Furnished rentals

Originally Posted by hallie_day (Post 12702154)

What do people do when they first move over? It's a bloody minefireld.

It would be very unusual indeed to find a fully furnished rental. They are unfurnished with maybe some white goods if lucky.

Many stay in motel units or holiday homes to start with .
Some landlords will be helpful in lending a few sticks of furniture to get a person through and for the everyday bits and bobs there is always The Warehouse.
As you have friends I expect they can sort you out with the very basics of furniture if you end up with a short term rental. We did that recently for a couple ping ponging back here.

hallie_day Jun 24th 2019 10:03 pm

Thanks Bevs
We're bringing a 40 foot container with the contents of our 5 bed house so keen not to buy anything, but we've just realsied that we can take mattresses and bedding from the in-laws and raid their kitchen so that's a start. I don't want them to be offended that we would rather 'camp' than live with them for longer (the offer would be there) though....
I'm also going to rally my sister and brother in law nearer the time - I bet their friends have garages full of stuff.

I think I'm just panicking now we've sold the house, and today I handed my notice in at work. I love a plan, but I can't yet so I'm worrying in advance!!

BEVS Jun 25th 2019 12:52 am

Originally Posted by hallie_day (Post 12702290)

I think I'm just panicking now we've sold the house, and today I handed my notice in at work. I love a plan, but I can't yet so I'm worrying in advance!!

That's all normal. I am sure it will all work out fine.

MrsFychan Jun 25th 2019 5:09 am

You could look at Mr Rental, we used them for washing machine when we first came over but they have everything to furnish a house.

Justcol Jun 25th 2019 6:59 am

We rented the essentials (lounge suite, beds, tv, fridge/freezer) from DTR (dtr.co.nz) until our stuff arrived.

Bo-Jangles Jun 25th 2019 8:17 am

Originally Posted by hallie_day (Post 12702154)
But we won't have our stuff for 2-3 months

Why so long ? It's usually five or six weeks.

KOH2 Jun 25th 2019 10:18 am

Originally Posted by hallie_day (Post 12702290)

We stayed in a motel upon arrival (they gave us a discounted weekly rate) and found our new home within 2.5 weeks and moved in 6 weeks later. Our 40 ft container took exactly 3 months as it got delayed by the Kaikoura earthquake.

hallie_day Jun 25th 2019 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12702416)

That would be great news - I am probably working from old schedules that I found online. Much more manageable for airbnb/motel etc.
We have Pickfords and PSS booked for surveys over the next couple of weeks so I'll get timings then.

hallie_day Jun 25th 2019 10:24 am

Originally Posted by KOH2 (Post 12702463)
We stayed in a motel upon arrival (they gave us a discounted weekly rate) and found our new home within 2.5 weeks and moved in 6 weeks later. Our 40 ft container took exactly 3 months as it got delayed by the Kaikoura earthquake.

That would be my dream (not the earthquake) - settled by Christmas...

KOH2 Jun 25th 2019 10:30 am

Originally Posted by hallie_day (Post 12702467)
That would be my dream (not the earthquake) - settled by Christmas...

We arrived Labour weekend so slightly later than you're planning;)

escapedtonz Jun 25th 2019 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12702416)

We shipped our own 40ft container via PSS International and it took 12 weeks to arrive in Wellington then at least a week to pass through offloading, Customs and MPI before we could collect the paperwork and arrange delivery.