Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Fun In Timaru!! ???

Fun In Timaru!! ???

Old Mar 16th 2009, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

janea is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Fun In Timaru!! ???

Im Moving To Timau In A Couple Of Weeks, With My Partner And 4 Kids Who Are 10, 6, 5 and 15.
I Was Just Wondering What Kids Do For Fun Around Timaru?
We All Like The Look Of Timaru and Are Excited About The Move..
thanks
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Fun In Timaru!! ???

In the summer you've got the beach and the carnival, but it's getting a bit cold for that now. There's an indoor pool with a hydroslide, there's a movie theatre, several DVD hire places, there's a paintball shooting gallery, a couple of horse riding places and several bushwalks. There is also a skate park and a good playground at the bay and several others in the suburbs. The younger ones may like feeding ducks at the Botanical gardens or the scenic reserve. There is a BMX track and mountain bike tracks at the latter too. Some of these things are limited in the winter though. There is also an indoor play called Chipmunks, where you can either stay and watch or leave and pick them up later (I think it's 10 and under). There is a theatre company which puts on productions - Rumplestiltskin in April.

Most kids get involved in some kind of sport or activity that keeps them busy in the weekends, or the older ones hang out with friends. When you arrive visit the local I-site, which should be able to give you lots of ideas.

As mentioned before, there are wildlife places to visit in Oamaru, and Dunedin and Christchurch are two hours drive, as are the ski fields, and Tekapo with its ice skating rink and hot pools. Most of these are day trip events rather than local fun.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 3:55 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

As with most NZ towns, they could try and catch the tumble weed rolling up and down the high street lol,

Hey kids stay kids longer in NZ, so you might find your oldest ones re living old things they used to do as kids, you will soon become very inventive as to what you do on weekends, you have some awesome lakes and rivers near by, like we have down Dunedin, and what with petrol cheap at moment, a drive to Central is cheaper than it used to be, just get out as much as you can , as that will stop the wobbly momnets like " oh my god ? what are we doing here " LOL, it takes at least 2 years to feel really settled, but the kids will just adapt as kids do.

Good luck on your journey and your new lives, NZ rocks , just leave to rose coloured glasses in UK and enjoy.

Nige, Dunedin May 05
Old Mar 17th 2009, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
Hey kids stay kids longer in NZ...
Maybe it just seems longer, especially in Timaru...
Old Mar 17th 2009, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Dunno. My kids are growing up pretty quick. I often wonder what people mean by kids staying kids longer, and I wonder if it's true.

I think wherever you are there are plenty of things to keep small kids happy, but even in the big cities you'll find bored teens hanging about complaining there's nothing to do.