Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

fuel tanker explodes

fuel tanker explodes

Old Oct 30th 2007, 10:54 am
Home Owner

Driver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud of
Default fuel tanker explodes

following crash north of Hamilton

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4255427a10.html
Old Oct 30th 2007, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: fuel tanker explodes

Obviously we all know petrol is dangerous and a tanker fire exceptionally so.

A few years back i did some Hazchem training and we were shown exactly how dangerous a tanker fire can be. If the lorry itself catches fire in the crash and the fire then plays on the cylinder containing the carried explosive/flamable substance, whatever that may be, a huge explosion can occur called a BLEVE (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion).

Firefighters do a fantastic and very brave job at all times but when they deal with a fire such as one involving any kind of contained flamable substance they really do put there lives on the edge of the line. I've watched firemen and women walk away from a safe control point and in to do their job at big fires in the past and i have the utmost respect for what they do. Very very brave people.

Tanker Bleve

Chemical tanker bleve

Huge Bleve involving train carried tankers

Last edited by teambwr47; Oct 30th 2007 at 9:22 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 9:12 pm
Banned

Pete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by niseysOH
Firefighters do a fantastic and very brave job at all times but when they deal with a fire such as one involving any kind of contained flamable substance they really do put there lives on the edge of the line. I've watched firemen and women walk away from a safe control point and in to do their job at big fires in the past and i have the utmost respect for what they do. Very very brave people.
And this coming from a guy who makes judgements of people from what is written on the internet. Did you realise that many of those Fireman and women fighting that fire putting their lives at risk are UNPAID VOLUNTEERS? Now they deserve respect
Old Oct 30th 2007, 9:36 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pete n Shell
Did you realise that many of those Fireman and women fighting that fire putting their lives at risk are UNPAID VOLUNTEERS? Now they deserve respect
Wouldn't common sense suggest that paid professionals would be better than unpaid volunteers?

Common sense is often wrong, of course...
Old Oct 30th 2007, 10:07 pm
Banned

Pete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Avid
Wouldn't common sense suggest that paid professionals would be better than unpaid volunteers?

Common sense is often wrong, of course...
As you are aware the majority of New Zealand is rural having a fulltime crew of minimum of six people at every Fire Station up and down the country would be expensive to say the least. Considering the amount of call outs per year some areas get these crews would be rather bored on what to do. The answer is to then remove those paid crews which results in no cover. Thats why there is Volunteer coverage.
Volunteers who undergo the same level of training as a paid firefighter your statement says that a unpaid volunteer is not well trained. can you tell the differance between a Volunteer and a Paid Firefighter? No you cant its as simple as that.
Prehaps you should consider heading to your local Fire Station and asking about becoming a Volunteer Firefighter? New Zealand can never do without to many Volunteeer Firefighters.

A fire or any major incident does not discern between a padi proffesional or unpaid volunteer, safety in either case is the same.

Last edited by Pete n Shell; Oct 30th 2007 at 10:09 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 10:44 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

your statement says that a unpaid volunteer is not well trained.
No it doesn't. It asks the question 'Are paid professionals better than volunteers'?

A question that applies to most jobs, not just fire fighting.

I can understand the countryside having a volunteer force but I assume that the cities have professional fire fighters, no?

I'm a bit too fat and lazy to be a fireman...but if the police have volunteers.....
Old Oct 30th 2007, 10:50 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit too fat and lazy to be a fireman...but if the police have volunteers.....
Old Oct 30th 2007, 10:58 pm

Well....that's the police and fire brigade pissed off. Only have to make fun of some nurses and it'll be a recorded message next time I dial 111....
Old Oct 30th 2007, 11:22 pm
Banned

That says to me you think that paid proffesionals are better trained than unpaid volunteers.
Of course your wrong and your next target should be St Johns Ambulance volunteers not be so well trained for being volunteers also
But since you have admitted to being to fat and Lazy then you wont have to worry about Search and Rescue volunteers and Civil Defence Volunteers which the later is probably one of the volunteer roles you can perform.

Of course there are people who mangae to do all these roles and are also Police Officers in the normal job. That says somthing about the can do kiwi attitude dont you think.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 11:45 pm

That says to me you think that paid professionals are better trained than unpaid volunteers.
Of course your wrong and your next target should be St Johns Ambulance volunteers not be so well trained for being volunteers also
But since you have admitted to being to fat and Lazy then you wont have to worry about Search and Rescue volunteers and Civil Defence Volunteers which the later is probably one of the volunteer roles you can perform.
Of course there are people who manage to do all these roles and are also Police Officers in the normal job. That says something about the can do kiwi attitude don't you think.
Ummm...but the second sentence in my post made it clear I was hedging my bets.

Anyway, this 'jack of all trades' argument has come up a few times on this forum. Some posters say that the famous 'can do' attitude is just an excuse for amateurism...but I really wouldn't know.

But I can predict, based on my past experience of this forum, that tonight some 'trick or treating' kid's lantern will brush against my tinderbox of a house and set it on fire. And I won't be asking to see any certificates when the fire engines pitch up.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Ummm...but the second sentence in my post made it clear I was hedging my bets.

Anyway, this 'jack of all trades' argument has come up a few times on this forum. Some posters say that the famous 'can do' attitude is just an excuse for amateurism...but I really wouldn't know.

But I can predict, based on my past experience of this forum, that tonight some 'trick or treating' kid's lantern will brush against my tinderbox of a house and set it on fire. And I won't be asking to see any certificates when the fire engines pitch up.
They surely don't have the cheek to 'trick or treat in the posh parts of wellington do they?'
Old Oct 30th 2007, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by niseysOH
They surely don't have the cheek to 'trick or treat in the posh parts of wellington do they?'
Well....the neighbours on both sides have young children, so I'm assuming they might possibly turn the doorbell....

(I say 'turn' because the house comes with some odd 'Victorian' features such as a doorbell that has to be turned like a key and a toilet that flushes FOREVER unless the little handle is put back to 'off'. Actually, for all I know, these are super modern features in NZ and everybody else is pooing out of a hole in the wall...)

...or some yobbos might chance their luck on the posh houses...I assume there will be heightened security in my street tonight.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

.....good luck
Old Oct 31st 2007, 1:15 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Well....the neighbours on both sides have young children, so I'm assuming they might possibly turn the doorbell....

(I say 'turn' because the house comes with some odd 'Victorian' features such as a doorbell that has to be turned like a key and a toilet that flushes FOREVER unless the little handle is put back to 'off'. Actually, for all I know, these are super modern features in NZ and everybody else is pooing out of a hole in the wall...)

...or some yobbos might chance their luck on the posh houses...I assume there will be heightened security in my street tonight.

Ha ha - we have one of those too!
At least the batteries can't run out
Old Oct 31st 2007, 1:58 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Driver_Once_More
following crash north of Hamilton

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4255427a10.html
Oh well, no use crying over spilt petrol