Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Fudge - but not as I know it !

Fudge - but not as I know it !

Old May 11th 2009, 6:07 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Question Fudge - but not as I know it !

Why has the fudge I tried to make ,come out like a soft suger mouse ?

I know I'm not much cop at creating things like cakes and other similar stuff in the kitchen department & I've shied away since killing one of my pots trying to make jam, but I thought I'd be able to manage the fudge recipe thing.
Old May 11th 2009, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

Mgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fudge - but not as I know it !

You sure you boiled it long enough? Apparently you can test it by dropping a small dollop of it into cold water and if it hardens quickly and forms a ball, then it's ready. Never tried that myself though.
Old May 11th 2009, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

A special confectionery/jam thermometer is a good investment too, about $18.00, and once it starts to boil, never ever stir it until it reaches the temp on the thermometer, do the bit as the Mgee says and drop a tiny bit into cold water and see if it forms a ball, but if you have a thermo it will state 'soft ball', 'hard ball' on the dial. Its the stirring that makes it all sugery/gritty at the end.
Old May 11th 2009, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Why has the fudge I tried to make ,come out like a soft suger mouse ?

I know I'm not much cop at creating things like cakes and other similar stuff in the kitchen department & I've shied away since killing one of my pots trying to make jam, but I thought I'd be able to manage the fudge recipe thing.
Because all the best sugar confectionary....fudge,tablet,toffee etc .......has to be made in Scotland

to you for giving it a go. I tried to make tablet a couple of times but never worked.

Phyl x