British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   friend coming for a holiday...suggestions for must see's while here !! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/friend-coming-holiday-suggestions-must-sees-while-here-771708/)

Justcol Sep 16th 2012 7:25 am

friend coming for a holiday...suggestions for must see's while here !!

I have a friend coming over for a months holiday in January.
He can do both islands during his visit and I will be lending him my motorbike to travel round the south island on.
What are your suggestions for each island for places, experiences, sights to see and do while he's here.

killercat Sep 16th 2012 8:50 am

Re: friend coming for a holiday...suggestions for must see's while here !!

Taupo-rotorua for culture and adrenalin sports
Welly for a good night out
Puhoi pub on a Sunday :)
Battle of the races if hes still here in feb,
waitakere ranges for stunning scenery
viaduct on Sat night

South
Nelson,Able Tasman and Nelson ranges
franz joseph
Queenstown sounds and Wanaka

Justcol Sep 16th 2012 9:02 am

Could I ask for more specifics,
Wanaka means nothing to me and if he goes to nelson whats there ??

Jan n Neil Sep 16th 2012 9:19 am

We did a five day motorbike trip round the South island this year, with awesome roads,amazing views, and good overnight stops with off road parking. Do you want the details? PM us and we'll find it :thumbsup:

It was so good that we are doing the route again with a friend visiting from the UK this Spring.

Jan

Pom_Chch Sep 16th 2012 10:24 am

Mount Cook, Te Anau and Milford Sound = beautiful and awesome travelling these roads on a motorcycle. I took 7 weeks and toured the south island over Christmas 2011. Feel free to pm me if you would like specifics or photos to sway your decision!

skends Sep 16th 2012 11:16 am

hi justcol, cant beleive you live in NZ and 'wanaka means nothing to me' or have you never felt the need to venture out of auckland?? should be us immys asking you these ?s lol

Justcol Sep 16th 2012 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by skends (Post 10283403)
hi justcol, cant beleive you live in NZ and 'wanaka means nothing to me' or have you never felt the need to venture out of auckland?? should be us immys asking you these ?s lol

i have a job and spend my holidays in europe,

Jan n Neil Sep 16th 2012 6:50 pm

He,s gotta do the Buller best road in the world, If he makes it this way we can prob sort him a bed out

That pillock has advertised that bike a gain i asked him a question about the last listing but he didnt answer :rofl:

Mark Smith Sep 17th 2012 12:25 am

We stopped off at the backpackers hostel at Punakaiki with the motorbikes back in Feb, the owner was pretty helpful securing the bikes. The location right by the beach was very nice. We had a private dorm room for 3 and it was about $35 each. The top 10 campsite at Hamner Springs was also bike friendly and worked out even cheaper for a small cabin.

chippy64 Sep 17th 2012 12:38 am

South Island

ChCh just because :)
Kaikoura - seals, whales, dolphins
Oamaru - Penguins, whiskey
Hanmer - hot springs

:thumbsup:

Justcol Sep 17th 2012 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 10283862)
He,s gotta do the Buller best road in the world, If he makes it this way we can prob sort him a bed out

That pillock has advertised that bike a gain i asked him a question about the last listing but he didnt answer :rofl:

Thanks for offer Neil, I'll bear that in mind and let him know.
I saw the bike was on TM again, price has gone up as well. The guy's a tool, Probably best he
doesn't answer in case he digs a bigger hole for himself than last time

Originally Posted by chippy64 (Post 10284212)
South Island

ChCh just because :)
Kaikoura - seals, whales, dolphins
Oamaru - Penguins, whiskey
Hanmer - hot springs

:thumbsup:

Fantastic, thats exactly what I need :thumbup:

killercat Sep 17th 2012 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 10283166)
Could I ask for more specifics,
Wanaka means nothing to me and if he goes to nelson whats there ??

No real specifics there just places i find beautiful, Nelson and the able tasman are just stunning, and the drive down through Lake Tekapo, Wanaka to Queenstown is just jaw dropping :)

Pom_Chch Sep 17th 2012 9:12 am

Couldn't agree more with all the suggestions on here, all stunning places.

One of my favourites was Lake Rotoiti, which is towards Richmond/Nelson. The views of the lake after hiking up Mount Robert were incredible.

Justcol Sep 17th 2012 9:37 am

OK thanks to all, I appreciate your ideas and he will have some stunning scenery to take in but anyone got any ideas other than nice views

Snap Shot Sep 17th 2012 9:42 am

Te Papa is the National Museum of New Zealand and it's in Wellington. The museum is excellent. You could get something to eat and/or drink at one of the waterfront bars afterwards. FYI The Crazy Horse is an excellent steak restaurant in Willis Street, Wellington. It sounds like an all you can eat place, let me tell you it's really upmarket.

Shopping is not to everybody's taste however, Lambton Quay is the main shopping centre in Wellington. Kirkaldy and Stains is the Wellington equivalent of Harrods. The Mercure hotel on The Terrace is a good and reasonable hotel. People go on about The Terrace in Wellington. Um, I don't get it. It's a residential street. Oh, 'The Beehive' is part of the Houses of Parliament. You could see if there's an organised tour of the central government buildings.

There's a museum in the old customs house on the quayside at Wellington waterfront which is really good. The Cake tin is the name of the sports stadium in Wellington. See if you could catch a game there ?