British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Fridge/freezer & washing machine dilemma (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/fridge-freezer-washing-machine-dilemma-763606/)

jjsebba Jul 2nd 2012 12:51 pm

Fridge/freezer & washing machine dilemma

Hi all

Quick question for advice on what you lovely lot have done in what's likely to be a common situation.
I leave on sat. Hubby leaves mid August. I'm hoping to find a rental property by beginning of August. Shipping will only arrive late Sept which means that we won't have a fridge or washing machine for a good little while.

We own a washing machine but it will be in the container. We don't own a fridge as ours is staying in our property that we're renting out.

Do we buy a nice (half price at Comet) fridge freezer and put it in the container and get a cheapie off trademe for the first few months or do we just wait and buy a new one as soon as we move into our house? Possibly quite a bit more expensive...

Same goes for washing machine. I can manage with 2 fridges if it comes to owning a cheapie and a nice one. I think having 2 washing machines is excessive!

I've heard that you can rent white goods short term...is this true as it would be a life saver if it was the case. Tried to rent something here for 6 weeks but minimum rental is 12 months! Daft.

Thanks in advance

Jen

MrsFychan Jul 2nd 2012 6:50 pm

Re: Fridge/freezer & washing machine dilemma

we hired a washing machine from Mr Rentals and bought a single fridge/freezer as our large american style fridge/freezer was on the container. As you say having 2 fridges isn't going to be a problem

Stormer999 Jul 2nd 2012 7:06 pm

We washed by hand and bought a small table top fridge which becomes very useful at a later stage as a manfridge for beer!;)

chippy64 Jul 3rd 2012 9:48 am

This one is local - http://www.centralrentals.co.nz/page.php?4 :thumbup:

jjsebba Jul 3rd 2012 10:01 am

Thanks Chippy64. I have a Kiwi colleague at work who suggested centralrentals. Will probably go with them.
I think we will end up buying a fridge here and hire one in the mean time. I think they look better quality and even if you take off the rental costs, are still cheaper than the NZ ones.

chocolate cake Jul 4th 2012 11:19 am

Originally Posted by jjsebba (Post 10151942)
Thanks Chippy64. I have a Kiwi colleague at work who suggested centralrentals. Will probably go with them.
I think we will end up buying a fridge here and hire one in the mean time. I think they look better quality and even if you take off the rental costs, are still cheaper than the NZ ones.

Yep, I'm sure prices will be cheaper in the UK. However don't take the internet prices as best available in NZ. Whereas in UK they're likely to be and little chance of bargaining better in store, in NZ the opposite is true. Little internet competition, and the advertised prices in store are starting point for negotiation downwards.

mickey_d Jul 4th 2012 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by jjsebba (Post 10150259)

Do we buy a nice (half price at Comet) fridge freezer and put it in the container and get a cheapie off trademe for the first few months or do we just wait and buy a new one as soon as we move into our house?
n

Trade Me is a minefield full of overpriced goods, it's common to see 2nd hand goods with reserve prices higher than you can get them brand new.
We bought a refurbished fridge/freezer & a tumble drier for $180 from a rental company 6 years ago, both still going strong:thumbup:

BEVS Jul 5th 2012 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 10150904)
and bought a small table top fridge which becomes very useful at a later stage as a manfridge for beer!

Great minds and all that :beer:

Stormer999 Jul 5th 2012 7:03 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10155430)
Great minds and all that :beer:

Absolutely....fits the odd bottle of dry white as well....Kiwi of course.....:drinkwine::beer::starsmile:

Justcol Jul 5th 2012 8:16 am

buy new in the uk and ship over in your container. even crap quality white goods cost a fortune here.
have a look at mrrental they are nationwide