Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Friday night is Curry night!!

Friday night is Curry night!!

Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:11 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Friday night is Curry night!!

Too many people seem to be buying the curry.

Just make the damn things
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:17 am
Thought is free.

indigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by willmore
Unfortuntely curry gives me almost instant gratification (if you know what I mean) so Im not a big fan......

Same with artichoke dip - love it but cant eat it......
Scotch eggs have the same effect on me. Good job I can't find those here either
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:44 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Too many people seem to be buying the curry.

Just make the damn things
I make my own curries and other Indian dishes but sometimes I want something a bit different. Maybe goat curry or Southern Indian dishes like appam, idli or sambar...
Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I make my own curries and other Indian dishes but sometimes I want something a bit different. Maybe goat curry or Southern Indian dishes like appam, idli or sambar...
Road Kill Curry?
Old Nov 18th 2008, 1:35 pm
Thought is free.

indigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Wow NC Penguin, I'm impressed; are you a good cook?.
South Indian food is yummy and did you know that you can make idli in the microwave?!. A friend of mine back home had this plastic contraption which consisted of small shallow cups which she had bought from the local Indian store. All she did was add water and I think yogurt to the idli dry batter mix which she had also bought from the store. She then put the batter in the cups and in the microwave for like 4 or 5 minutes and ta da . . . fresh idli. They tasted pretty good as long as you ate them straight away. Coconut, yogurt and corriander mixed together goes great with it.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by indigoblue
South Indian food is yummy and did you know that you can make idli in the microwave?!. A friend of mine back home had this plastic contraption which consisted of small shallow cups which she had bought from the local Indian store. All she did was add water and I think yogurt to the idli dry batter mix which she had also bought from the store. She then put the batter in the cups and in the microwave for like 4 or 5 minutes and ta da . . . fresh idli. They tasted pretty good as long as you ate them straight away. Coconut, yogurt and corriander mixed together goes great with it.
This book is great for whipping up a home made curry

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Indian-...7019559&sr=1-2
Old Nov 18th 2008, 1:56 pm
Thought is free.

Janek66, this book looks pretty good have you got it and if you do, do you have any favourite recipes?.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66, this book looks pretty good have you got it and if you do, do you have any favourite recipes?.
No I have Pat Chapman's The New Curry Bible. Its good if you like cooking practically all day long (which I do). I like it all. Thankfully so do the rest of my brood.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

UK Nova has that indian cooking made easy show at the mo which is pretty interesting, showing you interesting stuff.

No traditions here, though we do fire off some sparklers for guy fawks....
Old Nov 18th 2008, 4:14 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I know the idli cup thingy you're talking about but since it's just one of many cuisines I eat and it's a uni-tasker, I'm not buying it so that's why I eat them when I eat out.

There's a brand new Indian grocery store down the road from me that sells fresh idli batter too. They sell almost everything one would need to make Indian food including Pataks (but I don't use that). I've also seen the largest block of paneer I've ever seen in my life. It's the size of a half sheet pan!
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:12 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Pataks

Just like Dolmio or any other 'quick sauce'

But then again, when the nipper crash lands into our world I'm sure I'll be reaching for something convinent now and then. I'll try and stick to fresh and made from scratch but we'll see how long that lasts.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 7:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Pataks

Just like Dolmio or any other 'quick sauce'

But then again, when the nipper crash lands into our world I'm sure I'll be reaching for something convinent now and then. I'll try and stick to fresh and made from scratch but we'll see how long that lasts.
pataks have their uses, popadums and chutney at the least

and with a new born, best thing you can have is a frozen meal as a back up for one of those can't be arsed nights, lasagne or home made stew...life saver
Old Nov 19th 2008, 7:53 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

Yeah, I allways make too much so there is allways a dozen frozen meals in the freezer!

Im just trying to wrap my head around thanks giving. (Cue thread on paxo)