Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Fresh seafood cost in Auckland

Fresh seafood cost in Auckland

Old Jan 6th 2007, 1:09 am
Just Joined

Biscuits is a jewel in the roughBiscuits is a jewel in the roughBiscuits is a jewel in the roughBiscuits is a jewel in the roughBiscuits is a jewel in the rough
Default Fresh seafood cost in Auckland

How much do the following items cost from a fish market?

Lobster/Crawfish

Tuna

Oysters

Thanks,

-Biscuits
Old Jan 8th 2007, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all
Default Re: Fresh seafood cost in Auckland

Originally Posted by Biscuits
How much do the following items cost from a fish market?

Lobster/Crawfish

Tuna

Oysters

Thanks,

-Biscuits
Can only give you Wellington prices - lobster aka crayfish about $40/kilo, oysters $10-15 dozen, depending on type - out of shell scallops $7 dozen - live green lipped mussels $3/kilo - pre frozen king prawns $10/kilo - 200g smoked salmon $9-15 - fresh salmon $18-22/kilo - firm white fish from $8/kilo for warehou/trevally to $20/kilo for groper/snapper. Haven't seen fresh tuna for a while - maybe out of season.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 4:31 am
Just Joined

Biscuits is a jewel in the roughBiscuits is a jewel in the roughBiscuits is a jewel in the roughBiscuits is a jewel in the roughBiscuits is a jewel in the rough

Thank you, cottageinthesky, for the information from Wellington. I probably should not have been so restrictive with the initial request.

Kindest regards,

Biscuits
Old Jan 12th 2007, 4:53 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
Can only give you Wellington prices - lobster aka crayfish about $40/kilo, oysters $10-15 dozen, depending on type - out of shell scallops $7 dozen - live green lipped mussels $3/kilo - pre frozen king prawns $10/kilo - 200g smoked salmon $9-15 - fresh salmon $18-22/kilo - firm white fish from $8/kilo for warehou/trevally to $20/kilo for groper/snapper. Haven't seen fresh tuna for a while - maybe out of season.
Mmmmm I can't count in NZ$ yet and I've forgotten about kilos since I moved from France over 11 years ago, *BUT* that all sounds extremely scrumptious!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Maz
Mmmmm I can't count in NZ$ yet and I've forgotten about kilos since I moved from France over 11 years ago, *BUT* that all sounds extremely scrumptious!
It is indeed .... and the quality/freshness is fantastic, providing you shop where the boats land ....
Old Jan 12th 2007, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Maz

I calculate that lobster is $12.44 USD per pound which is better than the $15.99 I pay in Austin for the live variety.

From what I have read, the NZ variation is sweeter, and therefore thought to be superior to the Maine lobster.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Biscuits
I calculate that lobster is $12.44 USD per pound which is better than the $15.99 I pay in Austin for the live variety.

From what I have read, the NZ variation is sweeter, and therefore thought to be superior to the Maine lobster.
Our American visitors often remark on the quality of the salmon - especially smoked salmon - superior, that is ...
Old Jan 12th 2007, 6:52 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

kilos?
kilometers?