British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Freezies. Bbrrr. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/freezies-bbrrr-925509/)

BEVS Jun 4th 2019 11:25 pm

Freezies. Bbrrr.

I give in. I shall have to light the wood burner as it is far too cold today. No sun and lots of the watery rainy stuff.

The snow is back on The Ranges so there will now be that chill in the air until around September.
We went from lovely warm sunny days with nippy nights to outright winter over the space of just the weekend.

That's it then. Double socks, thermals and fleeces to the ready & that's just indoors ( Cue Col and his central heating).

This year I really must try to catch a pic of the folk all muffled up but with nothing on their skanky feet. That one is a mystery to me.

Rete Jun 5th 2019 12:03 am

Re: Freezies. Bbrrr.

You need to come and visit for a month of our sultry temps here in Mississippi. It was 102 c today. Not the first day of the season in the triple digits and not about to be the last.

Mishclark Jun 5th 2019 5:05 am

I'd forgotten about lack of winter in Qld to oh my god it's cold in Chch! I'll adjust!

17 year old daughter loves it though, but she hates the heat!

Bo-Jangles Jun 5th 2019 7:14 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12693462)
This year I really must try to catch a pic of the folk all muffled up but with nothing on their skanky feet. That one is a mystery to me.

Heaven help us, it's also that time of the year when the great unwashed start rocking up at the supermarket in their dressing gowns and onesies.

jarv5116 Jun 5th 2019 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12693532)
Heaven help us, it's also that time of the year when the great unwashed start rocking up at the supermarket in their dressing gowns and onesies.

Haha
Iv noticed that.
Don't know what's worse. walking round bare footed in the rain with water proof coat on or walking round pack n save full family in pjs and house coats

Clappy Jun 5th 2019 8:22 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12693462)
I give in. I shall have to light the wood burner as it is far too cold today. No sun and lots of the watery rainy stuff.

The snow is back on The Ranges so there will now be that chill in the air until around September.
We went from lovely warm sunny days with nippy nights to outright winter over the space of just the weekend.

That's it then. Double socks, thermals and fleeces to the ready & that's just indoors ( Cue Col and his central heating).

I must admit that two days ago I thought it was time to prepare the hot-water bottles for use again. They had been sitting idle in a drawer until now but they will be needed again soon.

Mishclark Jun 5th 2019 9:43 am

The no shoes or thongs (jandals) thing gets me too. My husband used to do that, darned crazy Kiwi...

jarv5116 Jun 6th 2019 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Mishclark (Post 12693572)
The no shoes or thongs (jandals) thing gets me too. My husband used to do that, darned crazy Kiwi...

I'm still Flip flops :rofl:

Bo-Jangles Jun 7th 2019 8:40 am

Originally Posted by jarv5116 (Post 12693967)
I'm still Flip flops :rofl:

With your rugby socks on up to your knees?

scrubbedexpat094 Jun 7th 2019 4:38 pm

Currently in deepest, darkest Lancashire and its wet and coldish. Yesterday we had sunshine, rain, hail, thunder and lightning!!! Silly me was over-optimistic about the chance of a mini-heatwave and brought shorts and vest-tops with me.
Still the parents have had the heating on at 25 C day & night whilst I've been staying with them :sneaky::scaredhair:. Flying home to winter next week, not expecting to feel much of a difference :rofl:

Charismatic Jun 8th 2019 7:40 am

Buy some https://www.amazon.com/Zippo-Hand-Warmer-12-Hour-Matte/dp/B013HLGTUS/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=zippo%2Bhand%2Bwarmers&qid=1559979419&s=gateway&sr=8-3&th=1 and stay warm all day. That's how all the people who enjoy outdoor sports survive winter. :D

BEVS Jun 12th 2019 1:36 am

& feet warmers for the wellies.

Freezy wet rain all today. Please give me back the windy scorchy weather.

There is no pleasing moi.

escapedtonz Jun 12th 2019 7:08 am

We have proper soccer every Tues eve and Sat mornings now till Term 4. Can be really cold on the field at Omokoroa as it's high up with views across the estuary and harbour. Sat games are all over Tauranga and can be cold till the sun decides to come out and play so we both turned in to proper Kiwi's today and bought ourselves Kathmandu down jackets in the 3 day Summit Members Event sale. Huge discounts :thumbsup:

Bo-Jangles Jun 12th 2019 11:03 am

Originally Posted by escapedtonz (Post 12696871)
we both turned in to proper Kiwi's today and bought ourselves Kathmandu down jackets in the 3 day Summit Members Event sale. Huge discounts :thumbsup:

So now you just have to do the really proper Kiwi thing and live in it day and night for the next three months. :lol:

Clappy Jun 12th 2019 9:46 pm

The temperature in West Auckland was six degrees at 5am this morning when I got up. That is practically a frost!