Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

freelance whilst on a workpermit??

freelance whilst on a workpermit??

Old Jun 11th 2009, 8:44 am
Just Joined

onsisoppad is a jewel in the roughonsisoppad is a jewel in the roughonsisoppad is a jewel in the roughonsisoppad is a jewel in the rough
Default freelance whilst on a workpermit??

Hi there everyone.....Hope someones got an answer for me. if you work permit is tied to a specific job. Are you allowed to freelance for other companies as well, and invoice them?
Old Jun 11th 2009, 7:03 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: freelance whilst on a workpermit??

I am presuming your OH has a WTR (Work to Residency)?

From NZIS:

If you are granted a work permit you need to meet certain conditions during your stay:

the work you do must be in line with the conditions specified in your permit
you must obey New Zealand’s laws
you must only stay in New Zealand for the time allowed by your permit.

If you break any of these conditions we may require you to leave New Zealand immediately.

So if you OH has a Work Permit that states it is for a specific job role for a specific company in a specific location within NZ then that is the conditions the visa was granted on. Any change to that must be reported to NZIS. If his job role changes within the same company he must inform NZIS and apply for a variation. If he is employed in the same job role by the same employer but his location within NZ changes he must inform NZIS and apply for a variation. If his employer changes he must inform NZIS as the permit was granted on a specific basis of those conditions.

Have you contacted NZIS yet to see what options are available to you?

What line of work is your OH in? There are some recruiters on here that may be able to help him find new employment.

Would you have enough points to apply for PR?
Old Jun 11th 2009, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

onsisoppad is a jewel in the roughonsisoppad is a jewel in the roughonsisoppad is a jewel in the roughonsisoppad is a jewel in the rough

we can apply for PR and are on our way to do that soon i was just wondering that apart from working for his employer that is listed on the permit can he freelance as well? not instead of just as well on the side for extra income?
Old Jun 12th 2009, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

Wellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to all

My understanding is No! you can't freelance for anybody else unless the new company is also written on the work permit/visa.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 2:29 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by onsisoppad
we can apply for PR and are on our way to do that soon i was just wondering that apart from working for his employer that is listed on the permit can he freelance as well? not instead of just as well on the side for extra income?
My view and this it is only my opinion, would be a resounding no as this contravenes the conditions of the existing work permit.
Freelancing would be for paid work. He has no work permit to do this.
However, contact NZIS and see what they say. It can't be the first time this question has been asked and NZIS may well have some provision for a variance of the conditions of a work permit to allow for people to do 'on the side' work.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 7:51 am
Just Joined

He does have a company in another country. If he were to invoice through that??
Old Jun 13th 2009, 9:07 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the OP and speak to NZIS to clarify your position and it may be worth a call to IRD too.

What line of work is your OH in?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:24 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

As far as IRD goes , there is provision for a non-resident to do contract work.

I will be very interested to read what NZ IRD and NZIS say to you about this. I hope you let us know the answer.