British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   free view recorder? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/free-view-recorder-842911/)

desmondo84 Sep 11th 2014 9:20 am

free view recorder?

Hi

Budget is going to be tight for a bit so no sky TV lol. can anyone recommend a good free view box . Preferably one that can record?

Many thanks
D

Mark Smith Sep 11th 2014 6:51 pm

Re: free view recorder?

We've got the dish t1050pvr. It works fine and does the job with a 500gb drive and can record two programs at once. In the uk we used a freeview box from tvonics which had a far better interface and easier to use. Sadly there's not huge choice here.

desmondo84 Sep 11th 2014 7:06 pm

Yeah we use tvonics back home too. thanks!

Stormer999 Sep 11th 2014 7:21 pm

Not forgetting it could be Satellite or Ariel.;)

desmondo84 Sep 11th 2014 7:32 pm

What do you mean?

Stormer999 Sep 11th 2014 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by desmondo84 (Post 11401599)
What do you mean?

What Do I Choose? aerialBox or satBox? - Support

;) Different types.

desmondo84 Sep 11th 2014 11:45 pm

Cheers. well there is a big ariel on the roof and brown Arial wires in the house.

Stormer999 Sep 11th 2014 11:57 pm

freeview boxes are getting old now, TV,s tend to be of the Smart variety that have inbuilt freeview and usb ports that will accept big hard disks for memory.

desmondo84 Sep 12th 2014 12:40 am

Ya. Very good point... This is getting complicated... what kind of money are we talking for a 32 inch smart TV in nz?

nero Sep 12th 2014 7:55 am

Make sure you can access Freeview via your TV aerial, we accidentally bought a Freeview enabled TV but where we live you can only access Freeview via a dish and not an aerial so we have to have a satellite enabled Freeview box / recorder. Smart TV not so smart or enabled :)

Robbo25 Sep 12th 2014 8:14 am

Originally Posted by desmondo84 (Post 11401894)
Ya. Very good point... This is getting complicated... what kind of money are we talking for a 32 inch smart TV in nz?

32 inch???? Feels like everyone here has at least 60 inch screens :lol:

Snap Shot Sep 12th 2014 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by desmondo84 (Post 11401894)

A few hundred dollars if you go to the sale at Harvey Norman/Noel Leeming. We got a new t.v. there a couple of years ago for about five hundred dollars but we got it in the sale. It's got usb ports etc.

Our widescreen t.v. that we brought with us from Britain was the only one to receive sound and pictures in NZ as our old UK portable t.v.'s could only get sound here in NZ. They just got thrown in the bin. I wasn't savvy to the t.v. recycling initiative back then. Although that's been and gone and it's just the standard levy to junk old t.v.'s etc at our local 'resource recovery centre'.

A 32 inch screen is about as big as I'd want a t.v. at home. Any larger and it's like a pub t.v. it just dominates the room.

scrubbedexpat094 Sep 13th 2014 3:19 am

And even if it's in the sale still ask for their 'best price'. You'll usually get more off.

Agree with Snap Shot on the size thing. I remember my friend who's an opthalmic optician advising me on not buying a huge TV as it can affect your eyesight if you don't sit far enough away. The distance required between the TV & you were quite a distance & that was when screens were much smaller than today.

moving2NZ2013 Sep 14th 2014 11:51 am

One in warehouse 32inch for 287 dollars :)

desmondo84 Sep 16th 2014 9:31 am

ended up getting a smart TV - a panasonic only to find that it won't run iplayer and netflix. I don't think I can change the country setting on it.

I might bring it back and get something else - can anyone recommend a TV that can run such websites?

moving2NZ2013 Sep 16th 2014 9:34 am

Film on free app records uk TV ;)

You can get ip cloaking software so it cloaks your location not sure how to go about that though.

barnsleymat Sep 16th 2014 10:20 am

Originally Posted by desmondo84 (Post 11406719)
ended up getting a smart TV - a panasonic only to find that it won't run iplayer and netflix. I don't think I can change the country setting on it.

I might bring it back and get something else - can anyone recommend a TV that can run such websites?

Samsung Smart TV, this is mine

We don't really watch broadcast TV even though Freeview Recording is built into the TV.

kiwi white Sep 17th 2014 2:40 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 11406768)
Samsung Smart TV, this is mine

UK TV in NZ - YouTube

We don't really watch broadcast TV even though Freeview Recording is built into the TV.

Yep we get it through our Samsung too.

mickey_d Sep 17th 2014 6:48 am

Originally Posted by desmondo84 (Post 11406719)

I just connect the laptop to the TV, there isn't much not available on the internet.

desmondo84 Sep 17th 2014 8:02 am

cool

Gonna bring it back and try a samsung then. Thanks so much guys.

Bo-Jangles Sep 18th 2014 10:51 am

Originally Posted by desmondo84 (Post 11407957)
cool

Gonna bring it back and try a samsung then. Thanks so much guys.

You might come unstuck there as it's not like the UK where you can take stuff back to the shops if you change your mind.