free education

Old Mar 19th 2011, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold
Default free education

My kids will be 16 and 14 when we move. Am I right in thinking that they will only have free education if we have PR?? If we apply for any other visa than a skilled migrant pr then we have to pay for schools??

Thanks!
Old Mar 19th 2011, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: free education

Originally Posted by 4pommes
My kids will be 16 and 14 when we move. Am I right in thinking that they will only have free education if we have PR?? If we apply for any other visa than a skilled migrant pr then we have to pay for schools??

Thanks!
Don't think so...so long as it's not a tourist 6 month visa or a working holiday visa you should be ok.
No doubt someone will be along soon, they're still snoring down there
Old Mar 19th 2011, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
Yes its free education, you get invoices for donations and fees but the fees are to cover resources and materials in lessons. For example, I have paid $70 for my son's cooking classes for the year and they provide ALL the ingredients for the year. These prices all depend on the school so please do be aware they could be more or less
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold

but is it only free if you have PR? What about other visas?
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

From the NZIS website

http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/1035

In most cases, a dependent child of someone who holds a New Zealand work visa will be regarded as a domestic student for primary and secondary school, so will not need to pay international fees.
For tertiary education, however, your child will need to meet our general requirements as an international student, including paying foreign student fees. More information on tuition fee requirements is available from the Ministry of Education.

This answer was last updated on 17 December, 2010.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks chippy64. I understand this bit now. If we get PR, are tertiary fees treated as domestic then?
Old Mar 20th 2011, 5:19 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Yes for schools, but note that NZ are looking at revising the situation around university fees (similar to the UK) whereby you have to be resident for 5 years in order to qualify - not in place yet but they are talking about changing.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:02 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

. Am I right in thinking that they will only have free education if we have PR??

Thanks!
No.

If you are here on temporary work visas, WTR, LTBV, etc then you can enroll your kids in school without having to pay international student fees.

If you were here on a visitors visa then it would be international student fees, however, many schools will hold back on those fees if it's made clear that a work permit is in the pipeline.

If we get PR, are tertiary fees treated as domestic t
hen?
as per P18PPS reply. ( I always read this is Pips.)

Yes for schools, but note that NZ are looking at revising the situation around university fees (similar to the UK) whereby you have to be resident for 5 years in order to qualify - not in place yet but they are talking about changing.
Please also read HERE
Old Mar 20th 2011, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

thanks everyone for their replies. Just trying to get things right in my mind!
Old Mar 20th 2011, 8:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Just trying to get things right in my mind!
HeHe. I'm forever trying to do that with little success.