Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

this forum scares me!!

this forum scares me!!

Old Jul 1st 2011, 1:18 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: this forum scares me!!

Originally Posted by Kija
Thanks Sue

Here it is for anyone interested:

http://www.emigratenz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34530
I have visited that forum before and noticed that the non-Brit expats seem to be happier than the Brits. Wonder why that might be.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 2:34 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jmh
I have visited that forum before and noticed that the non-Brit expats seem to be happier than the Brits. Wonder why that might be.
Oh. That's not always the case at all is it . That's just a meany sideswipe.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 2:48 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
I have visited that forum before and noticed that the non-Brit expats seem to be happier than the Brits.
What exactly do you mean by non-Brit expats?

Seeing as how the majority of expats in New Zealand are British and a great many Kiwis have some degree of British descent, have you thought about what you are really saying?

(maybe that explains the trans-Tasman migration)
Old Jul 1st 2011, 2:56 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi

Seeing as how the majority of expats in New Zealand are British and a great many Kiwis have some degree of British descent, have you thought about what you are really saying?

I'm confused by your response? There are a huge number of non-Brit expats in NZ.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 3:01 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Think about it.......

here you go:

Permanent Residence

In 2009/10, 45,719 people were granted permanent residence in New Zealand.

Sixty-two percent were granted residence through the Skilled/Business Stream; 32 percent through the Family-sponsored streams; and 6 percent through the International/Humanitarian Stream. The United Kingdom (17 percent), China (13 percent) and South Africa (12 percent) were the largest source countries of permanent residents.

Skilled Migrants

New Zealand has immediate and long-term skill shortages in many areas, and skilled migrants can help meet these shortages.

In 2009/10, 26,652 people were approved through the Skilled Migrant Category (58 percent of all residence approvals).
The United Kingdom remains the largest source country of skilled migrants (18 percent), with South Africa the second largest source country (17 percent).
http://www.dol.govt.nz/publications/...t-a-glance.asp

Last edited by Expat Kiwi; Jul 1st 2011 at 3:07 am. Reason: added info for jmh
Old Jul 1st 2011, 7:16 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

17% aint no majority.....
Old Jul 1st 2011, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Some Kiwi's do have some degree of British descent but a doubt that means much in terms of what they consider themselves to be.

I can't recall anyone referring to themselves as British descendants. I have heard a lot refer to a parent or grandparent as being British and others referring to having being born in Britain.

It's thought provoking.

If you don't mind me asking Expat Kiwi, you seem to jump in quickly when anything NZ refers to the Maori people or their culture and I am just wondering why that is ?
Old Jul 1st 2011, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sue

Here it is for anyone interested:

http://www.emigratenz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34530
Not sure Kija what you got from the thread but seemed to me to be a lot of idealised thoughts and hopes from people who are not here yet. Being aware of the 'realities' might have made this dude think twice before he said:

Fed up with being overtaxed for some benefit queen to sit on her lazy backside, pop kids out every week, and watch tv, eat breakfast at 10.00am

It seems some people actually do think that NZ is like some perfect Stepford town, all manicured lawns, blissful warm sunny days, toddling off to a stress free job, working work 9 to 5pm and ending the day sipping cocktails at the beach. They need a reality check!
Old Jul 1st 2011, 10:02 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
Given your situation then go for it. If it doesn't turn out as planned then you can always go back. See it as an adventure! Why concern yourself with what society expects of you, do what you want to do, we all have different wants and desires in life and there is no reason to allow yourself to be tied down to what is 'expected' of a woman nearing 30. You realise it may set back your career but in reality how much will this do so and if it does to a certain extent then is that price worth paying for you?
Yes there have been negative posts on here but they do serve a good purpose. It is better to be forewarned, nowhere is perfect after all. The negatives affect each of us differently and sometimes not at all. You're on your own and so in a very very different situation to eg the family of eight that asked for advice recently.
If you feel that you will regret not giving it a go then there is no reason not to at least try NZ for a while. If it doesn't work out then try not to see it as failure. You tried and it wasn't right for you, that's life. That was my rationale when I came over and my reasons for emigrating were definitely due to my heart leading my head [for once in my life!]

ps we're not really that scary
I think that's excellent advice. Consider it an adventure, we only live once after all!
Old Jul 1st 2011, 10:14 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Forgive me for still not having mastered the multi-quote thingie (I think I did at one point but have since forgotten how to).

I think some non British expats may be happy in New Zealand because their home countries aren't so wonderful to live in (that's certainly our case). The OP of the thread was from India so I'm assuming most of the reasons he wants to leave are similar to ours...

For many people in the 3rd world it can seem strange that people from the UK and US dislike their lives in their home countries. I did live in the UK but that was ages ago and I was a child. I have very fond memories of my time there but from reading many posts here and elsewhere I feel the UK has changed drastically since we were there. Again I was a child and also didn't have any responsibilities etc.

Bo Jangles I think that particular post you quoted was the poster's opinion about the welfare system in the UK. The problem with welfare systems (which by the way are non existent in Egypt ) is that there will always be some who abuse it, at the cost of hard working tax payers

That thread was useful to me because it seemed to affirm some of the things we're looking for such as 1, 2, 11, 12 for example.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with welfare systems (which by the way are non existent in Egypt ) is that there will always be some who abuse it, at the cost of hard working tax payers
Precisely, he was citing this as a reason to leave the UK, well sonny boy will find exactly the same can of squirmy worms exists here. It's a weekly hot topic!! As usual, the ones that usually cop the flak and get the media attention are the single mothers. However, the truth is, it's mostly young men on the dole.

3. UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFICIARIES

At the end of September 2010, there were 65,281 people throughout New Zealand on unemployment-related benefits.

The majority (72%) were male.

By ethnicity, 36% were Māori and 10% were Pacific peoples.

By age group, 30% were youth aged 18-24 years.

In the three months to October 2010, 43% of people granted an unemployment benefit had either not been recently employed or had never worked.
http://www.dol.govt.nz/publications/...y-areas-04.asp
Old Jul 1st 2011, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

'As usual, the ones that usually cop the flak and get the media attention are the single mothers. However, the truth is, it's mostly young men on the dole. '

I would argue that the sector of single mothers (pretty prevalent in Uk) that use the system of more kids = bigger statepayed accomodation+ more fag money+more diamond white/lambrini money+more fake burberry money deserve all the flak they get.
But of course,they are 'entitled' to all this.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Droidling
I would argue that the sector of single mothers (pretty prevalent in Uk) that use the system of more kids = bigger statepayed accomodation+ more fag money+more diamond white/lambrini money+more fake burberry money deserve all the flak they get.
Still failing to figure how this can possibly make it to a list of reasons to move to NZ? Frying pan and fire spring to mind.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 1:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
If you don't mind me asking Expat Kiwi, you seem to jump in quickly when anything NZ refers to the Maori people or their culture and I am just wondering why that is ?
I was thinking exactly the same about you.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 2:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Droidling
This is New Zealand's less fashion aware equivalent: Here they're talking about withholding benefits if single mothers don't take contraception, has it got that bad in Britain yet?
What people particularly resent is the DPB. There is a widely held perception that young girls of 16 or 17 years, having no direction in their lives, get pregnant even though they have no means of supporting the child, no partner, no nothing, but go ahead with the knowledge the rest of us will pick up the bill.

Forty-five per cent of them will then have another child while on the dole. Our bill goes up.

Such a mother will then remain on the DPB for up to 10 years, never having worked, never having had a job.

Never mind that Christine Rankin who, when it comes to welfare, knows her stuff, says that being on a benefit sucks. That you never have enough money. That you're always broke. Never mind this. The perception is that young girls go on the DPB because they can. And the rest of us, who get up in the morning and go to work and try to manage our own kids, pay for them.

Yes, and they give the kids these absurd names like Serrendipity Ragamuffin Sunshine or Thus Spake Zarathustra, names we hear when the kids arrive at Starship with their heads stoved in by a recent boyfriend who can't stand their screaming.
There is nothing about the role men play in fathering these children, or why they are allowed to walk away from their financial and moral responsibilities and not help raise the child they created.

Picking on single mums and forcing their children to sink deeper into poverty is not the answer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.