Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

this forum scares me!!

this forum scares me!!

Old Jun 30th 2011, 9:08 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: this forum scares me!!

Originally Posted by kerig123
please please please give me some positive comments to read. there must be some? (maybe iv just the wrong discussion topics)
NZ is different. Different to wherever you come from. Different to whatever you expect. It may be different in ways you expect and ways you don't expect. If you expect different and the unexpected you will be well prepared. That goes for anywhere in the world you care to go.

So its different. And great
Old Jun 30th 2011, 10:04 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the things said in this forum scared us too but I think it's good to read about the negatives of a country. My husband used to criticise me for reading all the negative reviews but now he agrees it's good to know about these things.

I saw an excellent post on another forum about the pros and cons of life in New Zealand, is it allowed to post a link to another forum? I found it summarised most of the important points and differences of life in New Zealand.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 11:00 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hee hee, and so it should ...
Old Jun 30th 2011, 11:39 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kija
Some of the things said in this forum scared us too but I think it's good to read about the negatives of a country. My husband used to criticise me for reading all the negative reviews but now he agrees it's good to know about these things.

I saw an excellent post on another forum about the pros and cons of life in New Zealand, is it allowed to post a link to another forum? I found it summarised most of the important points and differences of life in New Zealand.
How do you know they're excellent pros and cons? you don't live there, yet.

Or maybe you do and you need to update your status.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 2:32 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
How do you know they're excellent pros and cons? you don't live there, yet.

Or maybe you do and you need to update your status.
Good point

I found the said post helpful and informative because it gave the perspective of someone living in New Zealand. He or she made a list of different expectations etc. in answer to a question asked about why people from the UK and US choose to move to NZ. The person also listed what he/she loved about New Zealand. Having read numerous posts about people's different experiences of the process, it seemed to me this one was very clear, concise and rather logical.

Mods, can a put a link to this post? (It's on another forum).
Old Jun 30th 2011, 2:33 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Mods, can a put a link to this post? (It's on another forum).
Yes
Old Jun 30th 2011, 2:35 pm
We're HERE!!!

Thanks Sue

Here it is for anyone interested:

http://www.emigratenz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34530
Old Jun 30th 2011, 7:02 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
Just make sure you can get out if you need to.
Good advice for anyone in the UK too IMHO
Old Jun 30th 2011, 7:05 pm
It is what it is Member

Hmmm, and the Utopia where:

"want great TV with hundreds of great channels?"

exists is??? I've spent a lot of time in both the UK and US and it isn't either of those....
Old Jun 30th 2011, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

kerig123 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all,

thank you for the thoughtful replies. i just wanted to apologise if i offended anyone, my message was meant in a completely light hearted manner. Read the first message and thought i was going to get booed off!!

I guess im just feelling pretty nieve and perhaps overwhelmed by it all. My flight is booked, im definately coming and its a decision i havent taken lightly.

I always said to myself after travelling that i wanted to experience living overseas and teach before i hit 30. im in a position where i am on a temporary contract, my job is coming to an end and it felt like the right time to give it a go. I am currently facing a battle with my head and heart and somewhat societies expectations to be honest. My heart is desperate for me to go, my head is telling me im slowing down my career and delaying my professional development. I do hope to teach in nz, but getting a job wont be an easy task. I have researched alot about teaching, i am aware of the poor pay (compared to home), but i do feel that if i dont try i will never know and i will always wonder what if. (its just difficult to not regard going home, if it doesnt work out as some sort of failure and delay of my career). Society tells me i should be buying a house, reaching motherhood and earning a certain salary by my age of 28?

To be honest i think im just writing here as i think, trying to answer my own questions. I guess i came on here thinking i would be instantly inspired and encouraged to live in nz, maybe somewhat nievely as i said. As i am fighting this battle with myself, as to whether im ruining my future career prospects, reading a few negative comments wasn't great for me.

I fully appreciate that i can take out of life what ever i want, and my happiness in nz will be generally down to me and my expectations, approach etc. Overall its a big big move, one that i am incredibly excited about but it is intimidating. I dont want people to say "everything will be alright" but perhaps i do search for encouragement in some way.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by simonsi
Hmmm, and the Utopia where:

"want great TV with hundreds of great channels?"

exists is??? I've spent a lot of time in both the UK and US and it isn't either of those....
And if you had the inclination to watch 100's of 'great' TV channels what would that suggest about the said Utopia ?
Old Jun 30th 2011, 7:30 pm
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by Droidling
And if you had the inclination to watch 100's of 'great' TV channels what would that suggest about the said Utopia ?
Indeed. I find that with some timeshifting there is enough TV on freeview here to fill the limited time I have available to watch so what more could I use.

No doubt that is because I haven't been here long enough
Old Jun 30th 2011, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

The thing to remember is we might all have a little moan every now and again
but we're all still here, that must tell you something!!

I've been here 3 years and love it, wouldn't live anywhere else
Old Jul 1st 2011, 12:20 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kerig123
hi all,

thank you for the thoughtful replies. i just wanted to apologise if i offended anyone, my message was meant in a completely light hearted manner. Read the first message and thought i was going to get booed off!!

I guess im just feelling pretty nieve and perhaps overwhelmed by it all. My flight is booked, im definately coming and its a decision i havent taken lightly.

I always said to myself after travelling that i wanted to experience living overseas and teach before i hit 30. im in a position where i am on a temporary contract, my job is coming to an end and it felt like the right time to give it a go. I am currently facing a battle with my head and heart and somewhat societies expectations to be honest. My heart is desperate for me to go, my head is telling me im slowing down my career and delaying my professional development. I do hope to teach in nz, but getting a job wont be an easy task. I have researched alot about teaching, i am aware of the poor pay (compared to home), but i do feel that if i dont try i will never know and i will always wonder what if. (its just difficult to not regard going home, if it doesnt work out as some sort of failure and delay of my career). Society tells me i should be buying a house, reaching motherhood and earning a certain salary by my age of 28?

To be honest i think im just writing here as i think, trying to answer my own questions. I guess i came on here thinking i would be instantly inspired and encouraged to live in nz, maybe somewhat nievely as i said. As i am fighting this battle with myself, as to whether im ruining my future career prospects, reading a few negative comments wasn't great for me.

I fully appreciate that i can take out of life what ever i want, and my happiness in nz will be generally down to me and my expectations, approach etc. Overall its a big big move, one that i am incredibly excited about but it is intimidating. I dont want people to say "everything will be alright" but perhaps i do search for encouragement in some way.
Given your situation then go for it. If it doesn't turn out as planned then you can always go back. See it as an adventure! Why concern yourself with what society expects of you, do what you want to do, we all have different wants and desires in life and there is no reason to allow yourself to be tied down to what is 'expected' of a woman nearing 30. You realise it may set back your career but in reality how much will this do so and if it does to a certain extent then is that price worth paying for you?
Yes there have been negative posts on here but they do serve a good purpose. It is better to be forewarned, nowhere is perfect after all. The negatives affect each of us differently and sometimes not at all. You're on your own and so in a very very different situation to eg the family of eight that asked for advice recently.
If you feel that you will regret not giving it a go then there is no reason not to at least try NZ for a while. If it doesn't work out then try not to see it as failure. You tried and it wasn't right for you, that's life. That was my rationale when I came over and my reasons for emigrating were definitely due to my heart leading my head [for once in my life!]

ps we're not really that scary
Old Jul 1st 2011, 12:37 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I saw an excellent post on another forum about the pros and cons of life in New Zealand, is it allowed to post a link to another forum?
Yes. That's fine Kija.

edit....
HeHeHe. Sleeping on the job. Sue beat me to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.