Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is this forum the most negative on the web?

View Poll Results: Is this forum the most negative on the web?
Yes – but it’s justified and NZ is cr.ap
16.67%
Yes – but that’s because it’s stereotypical brits that are posting
50.00%
No – it’s a great forum full of useful information, links and helpful people.
25.00%
No – British expats returning home forum is worse
8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Is this forum the most negative on the web?

Old Nov 29th 2005, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is this forum the most negative on the web?

Seems to me it's a fine candidate.

Get over the fact that christmas is in summer.
Get over the fact that your water supply is in a tank in the back yard. (it's better than town supply anyway)
Get over the fact that you don't have a pub on every street corner
Get over the fact that public transport systems aren't like the UK's.
I could go on.....

Most of the people I know here in Dubai are british and none of them complain the way people in this forum do about things.....

We won't have a white xmas here
We don't have a town water supply suitable for drinking
We dont have a pub on every street corner
We don't have a public transport system

but no one here is complaining.....

I understand some people are having problems in NZ but for the most part the things that most people are complaining about are simply pathetic.....some people are like children......

iI'm a member of 2 forums...the middle east one and the NZ one.
The middle east one for the most part is informative and interesting
The NZ one is pretty much just full of whingers.

But if I don't like it I can always leave as they say.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 6:03 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this forum the most negative on the web?

Originally Posted by kelvynd
Seems to me it's a fine candidate.

Get over the fact that christmas is in summer.
Get over the fact that your water supply is in a tank in the back yard. (it's better than town supply anyway)
Get over the fact that you don't have a pub on every street corner
Get over the fact that public transport systems aren't like the UK's.
I could go on.....

Most of the people I know here in Dubai are british and none of them complain the way people in this forum do about things.....

We won't have a white xmas here
We don't have a town water supply suitable for drinking
We dont have a pub on every street corner
We don't have a public transport system

but no one here is complaining.....

I understand some people are having problems in NZ but for the most part the things that most people are complaining about are simply pathetic.....some people are like children......

iI'm a member of 2 forums...the middle east one and the NZ one.
The middle east one for the most part is informative and interesting
The NZ one is pretty much just full of whingers.

But if I don't like it I can always leave as they say.
Great poll - provided a little early morning chuckle - BUT having included extreme Brits (wingeing poms??), I am afraid you will also have to include extreme Kiwis (over-protective of motherland??). Sorry.

Edit - And actually, now that I really think about it, what is a stereotypical Brit? I need to withdraw my vote!!

Last edited by uk+kiwi; Nov 29th 2005 at 6:05 am.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Great poll - provided a little early morning chuckle - BUT having included extreme Brits (wingeing poms??), I am afraid you will also have to include extreme Kiwis (over-protective of motherland??). Sorry.

Edit - And actually, now that I really think about it, what is a stereotypical Brit? I need to withdraw my vote!!
I acknowledge there may be some over-protective kiwi's.....but by and large they're not whinging....except for whinging about the whingers....which I guess is what i'm doing.

A stereotypical brit? heard the phrase whinging pom?
No offence meant to any brits here but i'm sure they all agree that this is their sterotype is it not....

Last edited by kelvynd; Nov 29th 2005 at 6:26 am. Reason: poor speeeling
Old Nov 29th 2005, 6:15 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

No - the worse forum I experienced was the Australia/NZ one (back in the old days), and it was proportionately pretty even with b**ching about both Oz and NZ.

I think these types of forums always have the odd period where it seems to just be slanging matches, and they only settle down as peeps give up and go elsewhere.

Immigration is a fraught exercise and there is a fine line between success and failure in a new country. Its a very emotional exercise too, and I know if I was unsettled somewhere I'd probably like to have a good place to moan about all that irks me.

On the other hand, I can see too how potential immigrants are looking for a bit of reassurance that they are making the right move and are going to be all right. When these two human needs collide, then it gets harder and harder to get good objective advice. But not impossible of course.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 6:43 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

You should have another button so all us who are sick of hearing about you in Dubai can vote
Old Nov 29th 2005, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is this forum the most negative on the web?

I voted Yes – but that’s because it’s stereotypical brits that are posting but then again I am a self-confessed misery guts.

I also think it is negative due to the psuedo troll like behaviour of some posters who through their arrogance and self-importance just love to antagonise and stir the pot.

Now watch the paranoia......
Old Nov 29th 2005, 6:57 am
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Dont be sorry its an excellent point......but then again this was NEVER intended to be a balanced poll was it.

Its interesting that the "Anti Doom and Gloomers" are becoming a parody of themselves.....which is just as annoying to all those who use the forum without jumping out of their prams

YAWN YAWN BORING
Old Nov 29th 2005, 7:00 am
livewire

Kelvyn most NZ forums seem to go through phases with differences of opinion about NZ and Southerner is certainly right about the old Oz/NZ forum. Things were a whole lot bloodier in those days

As for the comment you made about "poms" well it is a British Expats forum so I guess we feel that we can air our opinions on here.

Highlighting some of the issues NZ has means that we can do something positive about changing things for the better, not just shrug it off and accept the status quo. We also need to emphasise the positives because there are many.

GB Shaw sorta sums it up:
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man"

Old Nov 29th 2005, 7:04 am
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

I acknowledge there may be some over-protective kiwi's.....but by and large they're not whinging....except for whinging about the whingers....which I guess is what i'm doing.

A stereotypical brit? heard the phrase whinging pom?
No offence meant to any brits here but i'm sure they all agree that this is their sterotype is it not....
From my travel experience the sterotype of a Brit is of that we are "Polite", Fair" and "Reasonable"....which may or may not be accurate, its only down under that i hear the "whinging pom" stereotype .....its fair to say that in your posting you live up to the NZ sterotype ...(by the mere fact that you dont live there and you are being rude to the poms).......but i do respect the fact that you have the freedom to say what the hell you like....however much of a sweeping generalisation it is.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by livewire
Kelvyn most NZ forums seem to go through phases with differences of opinion about NZ and Southerner is certainly right about the old Oz/NZ forum. Things were a whole lot bloodier in those days

As for the comment you made about "poms" well it is a British Expats forum so I guess we feel that we can air our opinions on here.

Highlighting some of the issues NZ has means that we can do something positive about changing things for the better, not just shrug it off and accept the status quo. We also need to emphasise the positives because there are many.

GB Shaw sorta sums it up:
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man"
I do agree with you but I think there's a difference between HIGHLIGHTING the issues rather than just whinging about them.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
From my travel experience the sterotype of a Brit is of that we are "Polite", Fair" and "Reasonable"....which may or may not be accurate, its only down under that i hear the "whinging pom" stereotype .....its fair to say that in your posting you live up to the NZ sterotype ...(by the mere fact that you dont live there and you are being rude to the poms).......but i do respect the fact that you have the freedom to say what the hell you like....however much of a sweeping generalisation it is.
By usign the word 'stereotype' I am acknowledging it is a generalisation....I meant no offence as I said earlier.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:56 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Kelvyn, you're absolutely full of total and utter bollox as per usual, let's face it you left NZ cos you ran out of sheep and got sick of rain, came to Dubai, and now we have huge cases of camel rustling going on. Coincidence? I really don't think so.

Quite why anyone in their right mind would ever want to go to a country that think up more and more bizarre ways to cause themselves serious bodily harm and death is beyond me. I mean I know why don't we throw each other off the highest possible bridge with some elastic tied around our ankles, that'll be a giggle eh?

I'm not xenophobic I hate everyone.

Can anyone tell me where the Camel Souk is?
And yes I do know, but no, I'm not telling.....
Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

YAWN.

What a daft poll.

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 29th 2005 at 9:03 am. Reason: Edited to add. "What a daft poll"
Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MJC
Kelvyn, you're absolutely full of total and utter bollox as per usual, let's face it you left NZ cos you ran out of sheep and got sick of rain, came to Dubai, and now we have huge cases of camel rustling going on. Coincidence? I really don't think so.

Quite why anyone in their right mind would ever want to go to a country that think up more and more bizarre ways to cause themselves serious bodily harm and death is beyond me. I mean I know why don't we throw each other off the highest possible bridge with some elastic tied around our ankles, that'll be a giggle eh?

I'm not xenophobic I hate everyone.

And yes I do know, but no, I'm not telling.....
Oh damn it - i've been found out....actually - i went to wales first....doesn't help me out on the sheep thing does it
Old Nov 29th 2005, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

I think the NZ forum is the most negative because more immigrants are disappointed with their 'NZ dream' than anywhere else. The country is oversold, people's expectations are too high. The Kiwi dream is not how most live. Most live near a city for work purposes, and none of the cities are that brilliant or magnificent when compared to other world cities (Rome, Geneva, Vancouver, Sydney - I could go on). Most suffer in traffic because of limited public transport. Most live in a house that has been subdivided and so their view is of another house. Most end up shopping in Pak n Sav and cutting food coupons out in the newspapers to ensure making ends meet. Books and overseas travel become a luxury most can not afford. Yes there is more sunshine but there is also a lot more rain. Houses (particularly rentals) are cold and damp. This for so many ends up the Kiwi dream. Yes you can drive to Bay of Islands and other scenic places for a weekend away - but you can't live there unless you are a millionaire and don't need to work.

I am 100% sure this is why so many Kiwis live overseas, and so many migrants move onto Australia. You can look up the stats for these numbers and it is a shocker but all this people have left because the dream does not stack up. That is why the NZ gov had to lower the points so much - to attract anyone to come to NZ.

I know this isn't what native kiwis want to read and I think living there all your life probably makes a huge difference - but for alot of new migrants the scenario I have written may start as the Kiwi Dream but it soon becomes the Kiwi Nightmare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.