Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Forum Get Together, what about Bay of Plenty???

Forum Get Together, what about Bay of Plenty???

Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

Isabel&David is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Forum Get Together, what about Bay of Plenty???

Originally Posted by Isabel&David
Laura and Jim....

How are you today??
I think it's definately a good idea to bring as many things as you can....as long as they are not really old things and stuff, it's really worth it!
All we brought was our VW camper, personal belongings, crockery and cooking pots, towels and bedding and computers. Someone told us the english tv's wouldnt work in nz but I read on one of the threads that that wasn't true.
We basically had to buy quite a lot when we got here and things like washing machines and stuff aren't cheap. But for example we just bought a 42" Plasma tv for 3000 bucks, so thats not that bad I think....
We also just bought a leather lounge suite, 1 x 3 seater and 2 x 2 seaters for 3000 bucks, not bad at all, so some things are cheap and some things are very expensive.

Cant wait for our barbie get together....the only thing we could do with is some nice sausies!!! The sausages here are a shocker, honestly! The only ones that you can eat really are the ones you get from a German butcher in Tauranga, they are delish!
Dont think you can bring sausages with you either, I think customs would not be too pleased to see fresh meat from UK!! Nevermind, we'll just have the German sausies.
Oh, I keep going on I know!
Right, better do some work now....speak to you later peeps!

Izzy x

Hubby just told me that the TV will only work with digital signal, wont pick up analog so there you go, as long as you get sky you can bring your tv!!
And also, you asked about shipping....yes, 6-8 weeks is about right.
We had a right nightmare with our camper....they found a spiders web in the container our camper was in and had to fumigate the whole container! It cost us 500 bucks and all our things still smell of the fumigation stuff!
We paid 3000 quid all in for a 20ft container. I think the cost varies quite a lot so make sure you shop around a bit.
Old Aug 12th 2006, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Forum Get Together, what about Bay of Plenty???

Hi everyone,

me and Dave have lived here for 10 months now and have not made many friends yet! We are starting to feel a bit lonely.....anyone wants to meet up???? We live in Mount Maunganui but will move to Papamoa in a few weeks.

Cheers
Dave & Isabel
Hi Dave and Isabel
have a open house when you move into Papamoa and invite the neighbours have a barbie. Papomoa is a great area we were out there in Dec 06 and are hopefully emmigrating over in the next few months just waiting for the house to go through. Like you we are going to rent first prob Pacific palms in Gravatt Road holiday rental rather than a house to begin with, as we want to look at Hawkes Bay area and have heard a lot about Beachlands before we decide where to settle. We have friends in Papamoa. We have 2 children Beniece 12yrs and Joshua 8 yrs and are alittle older my husband is 40 and i am 38 but still young at heart. Good luck with the move.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 5:32 am
Just Joined

RainbowRibbons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hello

Hi Izzy,

My names Georgia and i moved to Papamoa 2 weeks ago with my boyfriend Danny and his family. Im 22, and used to live in west yorkshire....where abouts in the uk are you from?

We havent made any friends yet either! What kind of interests do u both have?
At the moment we dont have jobs, but we are setting up internet companies out here. So it could be hard for us to make friends as we wont really be interacting with new people at work.
Back in the uk i was into going to music gigs, but havent seen anything advertised over here yet! Danny plays the guitar, and i play piano, but sadly i couldnt bring mine...although i do have a guitar i just havent learned how to use the thing yet!! I bought it a few years ago when i was daydreaming about sitting around a beach campfire under the stars, drinking nice wine and strumming away attempting to sing something...so now would seem like the perfect place to be doing that kind of thing!

If you want to add me to you msn my address is [email protected] it would be so good to chat to someone else other than danny for a change hehe.

Georgia x
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of

Hi Izzy&Dave

We were over at the beach by the Mt a couple of days ago, wish we'd seen your post first, could have dropped in. Always up for a barbie so count us in if you're having a get together.

Steve & Karen
Old Oct 24th 2006, 10:22 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StevieB
Hi Izzy&Dave

We were over at the beach by the Mt a couple of days ago, wish we'd seen your post first, could have dropped in. Always up for a barbie so count us in if you're having a get together.

Steve & Karen
Should make a BE meet at the Hot Pools? or at the top of the Mount for those up for some exercise (don't tell the wife she is still annoyed for me convincing her straight up is the best approach).
Old Oct 24th 2006, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

bignorthernbloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but my wife, 3 year old daughter and I are waiting for our visa application to be processed; I have a job in Tauranga and we are looking to settle in Papamoa (should we get our visa). My wife's aunty and uncle live in Katikati and we've been over twice already. My question is to those of you that moved from the UK to NZ;
Is there any paperwork (over and above the stuff that the NZIS require) that we need to complete before we emigrate the the UK officials need?
I can't find anywhere online that covers this.
Ta.
Scott, Emma (and Millie )
Old Oct 24th 2006, 10:59 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bignorthernbloke
Hello

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but my wife, 3 year old daughter and I are waiting for our visa application to be processed; I have a job in Tauranga and we are looking to settle in Papamoa (should we get our visa). My wife's aunty and uncle live in Katikati and we've been over twice already. My question is to those of you that moved from the UK to NZ;
Is there any paperwork (over and above the stuff that the NZIS require) that we need to complete before we emigrate the the UK officials need?
I can't find anywhere online that covers this.
Ta.
Scott, Emma (and Millie )
Hi Scott, and welcome.

We're going to the same area mid-Jan, hubby's a Kiwi and we have 4 kids from 14 - (will then be ) 4.

From what we've gathered you will also need to remember little red book - history of jabs for Millie, no claims confirmation for car insurance, job references, landlord references if been renting, and probably loads more that I can't think off at this unearthly hour!!

What job offer have you got?
Old Oct 27th 2006, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

bignorthernbloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hi Scott, and welcome.

We're going to the same area mid-Jan, hubby's a Kiwi and we have 4 kids from 14 - (will then be ) 4.

From what we've gathered you will also need to remember little red book - history of jabs for Millie, no claims confirmation for car insurance, job references, landlord references if been renting, and probably loads more that I can't think off at this unearthly hour!!

What job offer have you got?
Thanks for that...I would not have thought of a couple of those. I was more on the lines of the Home Office, Inland Revenue etc. I know there is a P85 to fill in for income tax rebate, but I couldn't find anything else.
The job is with an engineering company in Tauranga; just can't wait to get our visa, and fly over and start living there.
Sounds like you've got your hands full with 4 kids
Old Dec 9th 2006, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

daviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to all

Hi Dave and Izzy - wondered if you had managed to make any friends yet?

We have now arrived in Mount Maunganui and are in a rental not far from Bayfair. We have only been here about 3 weeks and are still trying to settle in (definately doesn't feel like nearly christmas to us with all this sunshine). BUt love the area and the beaches are fanstastic, we have climbed the mount (view was great).

Laura and Jim

Originally Posted by Dave&Izzy
Hi Laura & Jim,

October sounds good! Are you having any of your furniture shipped over here?
October time should be fine with renting, as soon as it gets towards christmas though you will struggle to find rentals as everyone wants to come to the Mount for christmas and home owners rent out their properties for ridicolous ammounts!!! We got here in October las year and I had to look quite hard to find somewhere, but as soon as you know more as to when exactly you are going to arrive, I can get some rental info for you. I will just pick up some rental lists from the estate agents for you if you like!
We are moving out of our place in Bayfair, which is close enough to the Mount, in a month, its a lovely place but it will prob be gone by the time you get here. Nevermind there will be somewhere!
How old are you if you dont mind me asking? Me and Dave are 26 and 28 and havent got any kids of our own yet. We have got my hubbies brother (15) living with us though, which sort of counts as a child...!

Now, hurry up and get out here so we can fire up the barbie!!

Izzy x
Old Dec 9th 2006, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

orca05 will become famous soon enoughorca05 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Forum Get Together, what about Bay of Plenty???

Hi everyone,

me and Dave have lived here for 10 months now and have not made many friends yet! We are starting to feel a bit lonely.....anyone wants to meet up???? We live in Mount Maunganui but will move to Papamoa in a few weeks.

Cheers
Dave & Isabel
Hi
We have lived in Papamoa for 3 years just off Pacific View Road (Tuihana).We have 3 kids so I suppose that it is easier for us to make friends and I worked for a while and hubby works too .Papamoa has really taken off with the New Fashion Island just been built ( its got that german deli now with great sausages and THE CHEESE CAKE SHOP).
But we are moving soon to Omokoroa because Papamoa is pretty expensive to buy into.Plus my husband is not keen on Papamoa as it can be really windy and it is too flat and houses are pretty much on top of each other.
There are loads of Brits in Paps the Kiwis call it Pomville and I suppose it is the Florida of NZ with the Mt beach being so popular.
Now come on you have to get out there and make some friends there is a running group in the mount you could go to called Joggers which I know runs round the mount on a Tues and Fri morning about 9 o'clock and you will definitely make friends there as I know a few people who go to it.
Send me your details and tell me about yourselves and maybe we can all have a meet up some where as we have lots of friends in Paps so we will be coming to Paps quite often and anyone else who wants to meet up on this site too.
I know what its like it can be lonely but the Kiwis are a friendly bunch and you have to put yourselves out there no one will come knocking at the door.
Good luck to all those coming out it will be a rollacoaster of a jouney but it is definitely worth it and I would never go back to the UK.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 9:01 pm
rick and deb

rick and deb is an unknown quantity at this point

We're looking at your very area for our impending move - hopefully just after Christmas. We were hoping we might meet people through kids schools etc? We're not exactly sporty, but may have to reconsider this in order to meet people! Best get in training now!

Funnily we were thinking of Papamoa as didn't think we'd afford Mt Manganui?

Keep smiling.

Caroline & Dave
HI-Have you moved yet? We are moving over Jan 07, have you picked schools yet? If so please could you advise us? Our girls ar 13 and 10. Many thanks Ricky & Debbie
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

sammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant future

Hi Dave and Izzy, Just saw your discussion from ages ago re meeting people from the UK.

We moved here October 2005 like you and have steadily made friends but we still never go out anywhere much. We have some friends from Huddersfield in Yorkshire who live at the Mount. They are your age, Hayley and Tom and I'm sure they'd like to meet people too. They've also been here since October 2005 although we didnt know each other before we arrived and are from the same town!

I am expecting our 3rd child on October (our 1st Kiwi!) and am looking for a baby group to join and saw your thread so I thought I'd say hello. Please drop me a line when you can and let me know how you are getting on. I really miss my friends back home and a social life!!

We live in Papamoa by the way!

Cheers

Sam Rhodes

[/I]
Originally Posted by Dave&Izzy
Hi Laura & Jim,

October sounds good! Are you having any of your furniture shipped over here?
October time should be fine with renting, as soon as it gets towards christmas though you will struggle to find rentals as everyone wants to come to the Mount for christmas and home owners rent out their properties for ridicolous ammounts!!! We got here in October las year and I had to look quite hard to find somewhere, but as soon as you know more as to when exactly you are going to arrive, I can get some rental info for you. I will just pick up some rental lists from the estate agents for you if you like!
We are moving out of our place in Bayfair, which is close enough to the Mount, in a month, its a lovely place but it will prob be gone by the time you get here. Nevermind there will be somewhere!
How old are you if you dont mind me asking? Me and Dave are 26 and 28 and havent got any kids of our own yet. We have got my hubbies brother (15) living with us though, which sort of counts as a child...!

Now, hurry up and get out here so we can fire up the barbie!!

Izzy x
Old Aug 16th 2007, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by sammymac
Hi Dave and Izzy, Just saw your discussion from ages ago re meeting people from the UK.

We moved here October 2005 like you and have steadily made friends but we still never go out anywhere much. We have some friends from Huddersfield in Yorkshire who live at the Mount. They are your age, Hayley and Tom and I'm sure they'd like to meet people too. They've also been here since October 2005 although we didnt know each other before we arrived and are from the same town!

I am expecting our 3rd child on October (our 1st Kiwi!) and am looking for a baby group to join and saw your thread so I thought I'd say hello. Please drop me a line when you can and let me know how you are getting on. I really miss my friends back home and a social life!!

We live in Papamoa by the way!

Cheers

Sam Rhodes

[/I]
Hi Sam and welcome to the madhouse.

Congrats on expecting your little Kiwi - you lucky thing you!!

We are in Papamoa too, loads of us from here in the area. You've missed a few get togethers, but they'll be plenty more!

How old are your others and where are they at school?
Old Aug 16th 2007, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

sammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant future

Hi Sam and welcome to the madhouse.

Congrats on expecting your little Kiwi - you lucky thing you!!

We are in Papamoa too, loads of us from here in the area. You've missed a few get togethers, but they'll be plenty more!

How old are your others and where are they at school?
Hi there Loolah

The others are 6 (Jamie) and 4 (molly). Jamie is at Papamoa Primary and Molly is at Little Footprints until December. How come I never heard of these get togethers?! Am jealous!! Please let me know of any future ones (-: Do you have any children? Think we're around the same age etc. Where are you from in the UK?
Old Aug 16th 2007, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by sammymac
Hi there Loolah

The others are 6 (Jamie) and 4 (molly). Jamie is at Papamoa Primary and Molly is at Little Footprints until December. How come I never heard of these get togethers?! Am jealous!! Please let me know of any future ones (-: Do you have any children? Think we're around the same age etc. Where are you from in the UK?
Maaate, you weren't in the place to be!!!

Cool, we have a 4.5 year old girl too who is home with Hubby as she is the baby of the family and he's indulging her!! Also have 15, 12 and 8. We will definately organise another don't worry!

Hubby's ancient and in bed ... I'm 21.

I work in the Mount, if I PM you my number, call and we'll have coffee/wine if your timings right!

Originally from London, then Cornwall. Hubby originally from NZ, then Birmingham, then London and Cornwall when I put him right!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.