Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Football(Soccer) School

Football(Soccer) School

Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:48 pm
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future
Default Football(Soccer) School

Not been on here for a while and really only seem to come on when I am looking for something now

Anyway, my son has been invited to go to an open night tonight at Papakura FC clubhouse by a Football School called CoerverNZ, has anyone heard of them, they seem to have places all over the world, to be honest I have never heard of them and thought that soemthing like this would be big in the UK.

check out their website www.coervernz.com

Would appreciate if someone could give me a little information on them before I go tonight/

Thanks
Andy
Old Feb 9th 2010, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Football(Soccer) School

This franchise for NZ used to be run by a company called Take A Touch and I didn't know that someone else had taken it over.

Personally the course look pretty expensive and considerably more so that the only company that is in a similar vein which is Wynrs.

If I was in that area I would look at Papakura AFC's academy which is run by Brian Derby (a scot too) and I really really rate as a coachhttp://www.papakurasoccer.org.nz/academy.php although I can't vouch for the academy itself as I haven't seen it personally.

Drop me a PM if you want more.

Last edited by Robbo25; Feb 10th 2010 at 12:07 am.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 3:18 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Been involved in soccer coaching for many years now in germany, England and now New Zealand and I haven't come across this group.

In the UK there were quite a few ' Brazilian Soccer' type courses which were privately funded. Some of these were very good.

The FA themselves started the Charter Standard for coaching in clubs. this required club coaches to be Level 1 trained and for the top clubs (Community Club) there to be Level 2 coaches. The very best ones had UEFA 'B' or Level 3 coaches (like my old club).

Just yesterday I met with a lady coach who had just attended a NZ Football coaches training session and this week she is training junior coaches at our club. It'll be basic training but at least a start....

Bottom line things are moving forward here, so I would encourage you to support your local clubs and youth accadamies. If you are very keen (and don't mind paying) extra coaching is seldom a bad thing but imho should be against the background of club development as this is the only way the chidlren will get to play comeptatively (well apart from schools)

Papakura sound like that's exactly what they are doing, which I would expect from what I understand to be a well run club.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Coerver have been around and well respected at the top levels for years, they have also been the instigators of different training methodologies. Joe Cole is a product of Coerver for instance.

I use Wynrs for my boys as it means that they are guaranteed to train with a very decent base level of player, although if there were good alternatives I wouldn't use them. They also play for a club.

Footie here is coming on as Woolly says and in fact is a reasonable standard with more and more boys going to overseas clubs to play. Only thing is that youngers players i.e. below 10 are not armed with the technical attributes that they need quite often.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

My boys went to Coever in uk mostly skills training.

They both now play for Bucklands Beach FC which is closer to you.They are quite a big club with varying grades and enrolling now.

Karen
Old Feb 10th 2010, 6:56 pm

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Went along last night, it looks awsome these 2 guys Frank a POM and Phil a kiwi (ex all white) have recently bought the franchise as the last guy at Take A Touch gave it up over a year ago, I did try and ask more but they said that Coerver International have asked them not to mention anything abou them becuase of a pending court case re unpaid franchise fees.

Anyway these 2 guys are really good, it has nothing to do with Papakura FC, my son has been at Fencibles for the last 4 years, there is training sessions for kids 5nights per week so you can choose a plan that suits.

They are doing different testings over the next few weeks to see levels of kids, which are Grassroots, Junior Elite, Intermediate Elite Senior Elite and a Scholars level, which seems to be a very high standard.

The coaching level has depth also, the have an ex-LA Gallaxy player as one of the coaches, they seem to have a senior coaches and middle coach and even have apprentice coaches which I think is superb as the boys can relate to them.

Anyway, I think I will be signing my wee fella up for this, some of the packages include holiday programmes which is superb as these cost a fortune.

Thanks everyone for your guidance, once again.

Andy
Old Feb 10th 2010, 7:02 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck. Hope to see your lads playing in the AW's in the next few years!

BTW - I checked the FA coaching material that I have and the online stuff last night and the Coerver System is refered to many many times....(just goes to show I should have been paying more attention to the classroom sessions). The system is basically how the FA teaches it's coaches these days and is excellent.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
Best of luck. Hope to see your lads playing in the AW's in the next few years!

BTW - I checked the FA coaching material that I have and the online stuff last night and the Coerver System is refered to many many times....(just goes to show I should have been paying more attention to the classroom sessions). The system is basically how the FA teaches it's coaches these days and is excellent.
Well there you go thanks for that, that gives me even more confidence.

Where do you live Wooly? Just realised you are in Wellington, the Mighty Glasgow Rangers are seemingly bringing coaches over to do training and scouting in September if you would be interested, I believe they are going to Auckland Wanginui(spelling) and possibly Wellington, if you want more info let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

Last edited by theduke; Feb 10th 2010 at 11:20 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:07 am
Cow on the Beach

Originally Posted by theduke
the Mighty Glasgow Rangers are seemingly bringing coaches over to do training and scouting in September if you would be interested, I believe they are going to Auckland Wanginui(spelling) and possibly Wellington, if you want more info let me know and I can point you in the right direction.
Thanks I'll do that. My team here in Wellington is Seatoun. Once strong enough to win the Chatham Cup twice in a row, we are are releagted to the third tier for the first time since the 1920's. So we are rebuilding this season and I doubt any of our current 1st team would be scouting material. However we do have a U21 team and I do have good contacts with a lot of the local clubs. Seatoun is still pretty good in womans footy, though not quite as strong as a couple of seasons back. They are coached by Mike Jones, also an ex All White.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Just so you know I have done some surfing on Phil Parker for my own sanity and he was absolutely involved with Take A Touch, how deep I can't be sure but he was involved with it.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Robbo25
Just so you know I have done some surfing on Phil Parker for my own sanity and he was absolutely involved with Take A Touch, how deep I can't be sure but he was involved with it.
Yep I know that he was their head coach =, he was straight up with that the other night. When the owner left for the UK Phil and Frank Speights(correct me if I am wrong I think he also worked for Take A Touch, although I may have mis-heard) bought the Coerver NZ franchise, seem like sensible sort of guys, if they had the background there to keep doing his job, some of the other parents kids were under him at Take A touch and said that without him there would have been no Take A Touch, so good on him.

Thanks for the information, though.