Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Football (not rugby :-p ) clubs in Wellington?

Football (not rugby :-p ) clubs in Wellington?

Old Mar 1st 2008, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Mr.B is a jewel in the roughMr.B is a jewel in the roughMr.B is a jewel in the roughMr.B is a jewel in the roughMr.B is a jewel in the rough
Default Football (not rugby :-p ) clubs in Wellington?

Hi all,

It's along time since I played footie - a couple of injuries stopped me for ages and then personal & work circumstances did the rest.

I've been looking around the websites for local footie clubs ("soccer" just to be clear), looking for something that would suit a veteran who needs to get some fitness back.

Any suggestions? Preferably something I can reach easily from Thorndon (I haven't bought a car yet). This afternoon I'm off to watch Petone vs. Wellington Utd, at Memorial Park in Petone. Either of those clubs are options.

All other suggestions welcome. I was a decent player back in the day - striker and midfield.

Cheers
Jerry
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

Billy_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really nice
Default Re: Football (not rugby :-p ) clubs in Wellington?

http://www.soccer.org.nz/
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 12:27 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Hi Jerry,

Sorry haven't got around to properly saying hello.

I was the only kiwi with that english mob at the NZ v Eng one dayer. You also work with Gary Lawn who used to work with me.

So in regards to football teams around your area. Thorndon doesn't have any. Around your area is Karori but that is a bit of a hike so you will need a car, get down to cambridge / kent terrace and look for a good jap import. (nice and cheap) but be aware that any car over 6 years old will need an WOF every 6 mths.

Back to football, there are 4 masters divisions, Top division is quite good, 2nd division is where Danny F plays (they finished top) division 3 and 4 ain't suppose to be that grand. Seatoun (who I'm playing for this season) are hoping to put a new team into masters 2.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr.B
Hi all,

It's along time since I played footie - a couple of injuries stopped me for ages and then personal & work circumstances did the rest.

I've been looking around the websites for local footie clubs ("soccer" just to be clear), looking for something that would suit a veteran who needs to get some fitness back.

Any suggestions? Preferably something I can reach easily from Thorndon (I haven't bought a car yet). This afternoon I'm off to watch Petone vs. Wellington Utd, at Memorial Park in Petone. Either of those clubs are options.

All other suggestions welcome. I was a decent player back in the day - striker and midfield.

Cheers
Jerry
How old are you Jerry? Ted's pretty much covered it,and if you follow Billy's link then you'll have the contact numbers for each team. Season starts 5th April.
We play for Porirua City,but our side has just joined Wests-Div 1 is a pretty good standard,some players can easily step up to Divs 2 or 3 in the Wellington leagues. As Div 2,we play our Div 1 counterparts and they tend to spring it on fitness,otherwise not too much in it.
Masters is for over 35's but we regularly come across teams who field players who've just finished their homework! Last year Brooklyn played us with 3 first team players,but naturally we smacked their arses 4-2.
Anyhoo-check out that site,then buy a car and get your skillful arse to Whitby! PM me for more details!
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

I am looking to join a semi-pro (male) football team : ) ..........

i m a 30 years old little girl..tall and strong also fast.............

Last edited by crap coffee; Mar 2nd 2008 at 7:44 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Mr.B is a jewel in the roughMr.B is a jewel in the roughMr.B is a jewel in the roughMr.B is a jewel in the roughMr.B is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
Hi Jerry,

I was the only kiwi with that english mob at the NZ v Eng one dayer. You also work with Gary Lawn who used to work with me.

So in regards to football teams around your area. Thorndon doesn't have any. Around your area is Karori but that is a bit of a hike so you will need a car, get down to cambridge / kent terrace and look for a good jap import. (nice and cheap) but be aware that any car over 6 years old will need an WOF every 6 mths.

Back to football, there are 4 masters divisions, Top division is quite good, 2nd division is where Danny F plays (they finished top) division 3 and 4 ain't suppose to be that grand. Seatoun (who I'm playing for this season) are hoping to put a new team into masters 2.
Hello again. I mentioned the name "Dirk" to Gary, and he remembers you well. Thanks for the info about cars over 6 years old - I hadn't heard about that. Hmmm.

I also didn't know there were all those Masters divisions.

Originally Posted by danny.f
How old are you Jerry? Ted's pretty much covered it,and if you follow Billy's link then you'll have the contact numbers for each team. Season starts 5th April.
We play for Porirua City,but our side has just joined Wests-Div 1 is a pretty good standard,some players can easily step up to Divs 2 or 3 in the Wellington leagues. As Div 2,we play our Div 1 counterparts and they tend to spring it on fitness,otherwise not too much in it.
Masters is for over 35's but we regularly come across teams who field players who've just finished their homework! Last year Brooklyn played us with 3 first team players,but naturally we smacked their arses 4-2.
Anyhoo-check out that site,then buy a car and get your skillful arse to Whitby! PM me for more details!
I'm 43, with fitness issues (although footie training will help to keep me motivated in the gym and hiking up & down Tinakori Hill). My injuries were achilles (both of them - about 8 months apart, and the second one stopped me doing any kind of running for over a year) and a bad groin strain that I kept aggravating because I kept coming back too soon. (So I guess my brain isn't too clever either.) :-)

I went to Petone vs Wellington today (not a great match - both teams still rusty, not many chances created, Wellington took it 1-0, thanks to a 2nd half own-goal).

I talked to one of the guys there and said I'd try to get up there next week for a training session (if my apartment move goes ok). Petone looks ok because it's easy to get there on the train. But I believe Porirua is pretty easy too? How long would it take to walk to Wests training ground? Walking is good, so I don't mind a bit of a trek (or a run, as I start getting my fitness back) from the train station.

As for my skillful arse, I haven't played 11-a-side for a two years and it's 18 months since I played 5-a-side, so right now my arse might be best suited to keeping the bench warm.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

karron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
Hi Jerry,

wonder could you help,do you know of a guy called russell cotton,cant remember if he was at seatoun or island bay,just curious if he turns out in the masters?
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again. I mentioned the name "Dirk" to Gary, and he remembers you well. Thanks for the info about cars over 6 years old - I hadn't heard about that. Hmmm.

I also didn't know there were all those Masters divisions.

I'm 43, with fitness issues (although footie training will help to keep me motivated in the gym and hiking up & down Tinakori Hill). My injuries were achilles (both of them - about 8 months apart, and the second one stopped me doing any kind of running for over a year) and a bad groin strain that I kept aggravating because I kept coming back too soon. (So I guess my brain isn't too clever either.) :-)

I went to Petone vs Wellington today (not a great match - both teams still rusty, not many chances created, Wellington took it 1-0, thanks to a 2nd half own-goal).

I talked to one of the guys there and said I'd try to get up there next week for a training session (if my apartment move goes ok). Petone looks ok because it's easy to get there on the train. But I believe Porirua is pretty easy too? How long would it take to walk to Wests training ground? Walking is good, so I don't mind a bit of a trek (or a run, as I start getting my fitness back) from the train station.

As for my skillful arse, I haven't played 11-a-side for a two years and it's 18 months since I played 5-a-side, so right now my arse might be best suited to keeping the bench warm.
Thursday,1830 til 2000, we play a friendly kick oabout against Wests 3rd Div-just been promoted to Div 2.
Bus goes from Porirua to Whiby shops,but easier still,I could get you from the Porirua station!
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by danny.f
Thursday,1830 til 2000, we play a friendly kick oabout against Wests 3rd Div-just been promoted to Div 2.
Bus goes from Porirua to Whiby shops,but easier still,I could get you from the Porirua station!
Is that every Thursday, or just this week? I can't make this week - already got other commitments.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Is that every Thursday, or just this week? I can't make this week - already got other commitments.
Every Thursday,but we've got a couple of pre season friendlies coming up of a weekend too.Will let you know.