Food question

Old Jul 14th 2014, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

solesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud of
Default Food question

Hi all

ok...before anyone thinks im saying in any way there are no shops in NZ...im not lol. Just a question regarding shipping food. My 2 little ones are uber picky and although I try not to indulge this...I was considering taking some familiar items with us..just to help them settle. Has anyone taken foods with them and where the shipping agents ok with it...what did you take ...etc.

Many thanks in advance x
Old Jul 14th 2014, 5:40 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food question

You should be able to take most foods as long as they are bought commercially and packaged. It does depend on the item though as some will be banned from import. Also shippers might refuse to carry certain items.

You could list some of the foodstuffs you're talking about and we can tell you if they are easily available in NZ. If they are, it could also help them settle knowing that it's not that different here and 'look, they even have xyz in all the supermarkets, just like home'
Old Jul 14th 2014, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

solesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Persephone
You should be able to take most foods as long as they are bought commercially and packaged. It does depend on the item though as some will be banned from import. Also shippers might refuse to carry certain items.

You could list some of the foodstuffs you're talking about and we can tell you if they are easily available in NZ. If they are, it could also help them settle knowing that it's not that different here and 'look, they even have xyz in all the supermarkets, just like home'
Thanks Persephone

Its mainly familiar cereals, certains brands ie heinz beans and pasta shapes etc. Nothing odd...just things they like. Haribo too
Old Jul 14th 2014, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy Haribo in one of the main supermarkets here

Online Supermarket: Online Grocery Shopping & Free Recipes at countdown.co.nz

There are several British food shops which import UK foods too, so (for a price) you can buy stuff from there. They are mostly based in Auckland but deliver around the country. You can check them out online to see what they stock

Getting ready for Winter?? ~ Bramptins | UK Grocer

Home | Union Jack's - The British Foods Store

Lane's Food Market
Old Jul 14th 2014, 8:38 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

my son is very fussy with food, has been a lot better since being here, we used "New Zealand, New foods" which seemed to get him in the mind set that it was ok to try new things. Heinz beans can be got in the UK sections but really not worth the cost. If you are going to be here long term, ie not on a temp visa, then I would say you should really just try to go with what is available. My son was coaxed into eating fish fingers at a friends house but insisted if we got them they had to be the same brand etc. I took him shopping and bought the brand so no problems, next time I just got whatever was there and he was none the wiser and just eats them.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Cheers folks.

I know from my last visit that there are shops that have UK stuff but it was soooooo expensive. I thought I might just take enough to help with the transition.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute

Are they picky on Tomato Ketchup???

Because if so, pay more for Heinz Ketchup. I made the mistake of buying Watties tomato ketchup. My kids yesterday said - what is this rank Daddy? I tasted it before and didn't like it but thought the kids taste buds would. Oh no!

Oh and Gravy as well. Being a northerner, it's tradition to have gravy ont chips or curry sauce ont chips. The Gravy here - no thanks. Luckily for me though, New World and Countdown sell Bisto Gravy Granules at around $5.99 - $7.99 but hey if it's proper Bisto Gravy Granules, then it's money well spent
Old Jul 14th 2014, 10:45 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

so you are thinking of in your luggage. what cereals are you thinking of?
My sons loves Cinnamon Grahams, Cinnamon Crunch over here. we used to be able to order it on line at united sweets but they don't seem to have them on the site any more. so any time I see a mobile site I ask if they have them. One packet cost $12 or sometimes you can get 2 for $20. rather an expensive luxury now so its not to often we get them.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

I was thinking of packing one of my boxes for shipping with a good variety of stuff. Kellogs cereals. ..heinz ketchup...bisto. pg tips or tetley. Im open to hints too...what might we miss initially?
I love good oatcakes Good quality flavoured balsamic vinegars etc....ohh and caramacs lol
Old Jul 14th 2014, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

We were told not to pack any food by the shippers for the US. I don't know if NZ is different.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

PSS wouldn't let us put sealed/dried foodstuffs into our container. Taking things in our luggage was a different matter.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Probably best to go cold turkey. Later on you can buy some treats from a British shop.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 11:56 pm

really wouldn't be putting things like cereals or sauces in container. the severe temp changes throughout the voyage may deem it inedible
Old Jul 14th 2014, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by solesister
I was thinking of packing one of my boxes for shipping with a good variety of stuff. Kellogs cereals. ..heinz ketchup...bisto. pg tips or tetley. Im open to hints too...what might we miss initially?
I love good oatcakes Good quality flavoured balsamic vinegars etc....ohh and caramacs lol
Who are you going with???? I'd be amazed if you can pack food and ship it over

Pickfords said we weren't allowed to pack any food. It was a huge no no!

You can bring some in your travel luggage but from experience - make sure you tick that yes box on your arrival card.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blade Down Under
Are they picky on Tomato Ketchup???

Because if so, pay more for Heinz Ketchup. I made the mistake of buying Watties tomato ketchup. My kids yesterday said - what is this rank Daddy? I tasted it before and didn't like it but thought the kids taste buds would. Oh no!
Try the Tuimato Ketchup.

Kids tend to like it as it's quite sweet.

It's also a guilty pleasure of mine ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.