Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

food better or worse than uk

food better or worse than uk

Old Aug 4th 2007, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Leewales is a jewel in the roughLeewales is a jewel in the roughLeewales is a jewel in the roughLeewales is a jewel in the rough
Question food better or worse than uk

Hello everyone again another thing i wanted to ask is, i am almost sure i read something about fish and chip shops over there lol is this right? and whats the food like compared to the uk? i don't do the fast food scene like big mac and the other junk just wondering was the food similar? cheers Lee
Old Aug 4th 2007, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of
Default Re: food better or worse than uk

Originally Posted by Leewales
Hello everyone again another thing i wanted to ask is, i am almost sure i read something about fish and chip shops over there lol is this right? and whats the food like compared to the uk? i don't do the fast food scene like big mac and the other junk just wondering was the food similar? cheers Lee
No, it's all F***ing bananas and marmosets
Old Aug 4th 2007, 10:41 am
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by StevieB
No, it's all F***ing bananas and marmosets
My word, how on earth did you get anywhere near the keyboard?
(Sorry for the hi-jack)
Jac
Old Aug 4th 2007, 10:42 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Ah...food! You'll do well if you like cooking. The fruit and veg shops are very good. The butchers' can be very good as well. Some are not so good, but you'll soon find the good ones. The thing is this, go with the seasons. For example, today in my local market tomatoes were going for NZ$12.99/kilo. In February you might find them for NZ$2.99/kilo. Obviously we don't eat tomatoes in August.

As for take-aways there are all sorts of ethnic foods - Thai, Chinese, Indian, Middle Eastern plus plain ol' sandwich bars. Of course there are the international toxic food pushers like McDonalds, Burger King and the extremely foul KFC. There is also something else to be avoided and those are toasted sandwiches sitting under the warmer lights in roadside tearooms. Urghhh.

We also spit roast tourists, but you'll only find that dish in Otago University student flats..
Old Aug 4th 2007, 10:46 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jac&Adie
My word, how on earth did you get anywhere near the keyboard?
(Sorry for the hi-jack)
Jac
He is on his lap-top. Note: HIS lap-top.......... as the girl has her own and I OWN the main PC. I pointed the past out to him and he couldn't resist!
Old Aug 4th 2007, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leewales
Best fish n chips in the world - and the cheapest, $7 for the 3 of us
Old Aug 4th 2007, 10:52 am
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Best fish n chips in the world - and the cheapest, $7 for the 3 of us
We'll second that.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

we find the supermarkets are fine,its just a case of finding your feet.

used to just popping into tesco or asda day or night and knowing where everything is...............

we find food shopping bit more pricey.........................

but fast food is in abundance here............everywhere you look theres mc donalds,kfc....chinese...........tai.........you name it...........we've got it here..some dodgy looking places though....
Old Aug 4th 2007, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, the food is hitty-missy. I personally don't like the fish and chips, in fact I hate the "frozen" chips they use. Also the cooked meats from the deli seem so "over processed". Coleslaw is much sweeter, as is lots of other foods and crips or chips as they call them are so different, tried loads of brands, but haven't found a one that "fits" for me (usually the
crips are too hard or too thick). On a positive the meat is great, but frozen chickens have so much water in them they think they are ducks !!!

Gill
Old Aug 4th 2007, 11:23 pm
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

Jam Doughnuts I have yet to find anywhere in New Zealand that can make a good jam doughnut.

Biscuits I really miss real Mcvittes Digestive biscuits that dont break your teeth.

Crisps well blow me we actually found a type that finally taste similer to the UK style crisp.

Cream cakes depends where you live but anyone who passes thru Ohakune needs to check out Nations Dairy next door to the BP service Station. Drwl but they dont do Doughnuts.

Ok now Fresh food eg Fruit ha well lets see way better than what could get in the UK again depends where you live but extremly cheap. Put it another way we have a freezer full of Plums from Last year raid a freinds lemon Tree and apples well heck just head to the Hawkes bay. Carrots by the Truck load down in Ohakune so reckon Fruit and veg are ok.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Colin in the middle
Jam Doughnuts I have yet to find anywhere in New Zealand that can make a good jam doughnut.

Biscuits I really miss real Mcvittes Digestive biscuits that dont break your teeth.

Crisps well blow me we actually found a type that finally taste similer to the UK style crisp.
Cream cakes depends where you live but anyone who passes thru Ohakune needs to check out Nations Dairy next door to the BP service Station. Drwl but they dont do Doughnuts.

Ok now Fresh food eg Fruit ha well lets see way better than what could get in the UK again depends where you live but extremly cheap. Put it another way we have a freezer full of Plums from Last year raid a freinds lemon Tree and apples well heck just head to the Hawkes bay. Carrots by the Truck load down in Ohakune so reckon Fruit and veg are ok.
Care to enlighten me on the brand Colin, I personally hate crinkle cut crisps, this is one of my bugbears as you may call it

to put in my 2 pence or cents worth like someoe said tomatoes are expensive in augus, same with lettuce and cucumber, but way cheaper in season, but the prices here can fluctuate on a weekly basis

meat we tend to find is much better from the butchers

i am not much use on food, but I will say that as a person who used to buy a fair few ready meals such as lasagne, cottage pice, chilli con carne in the uk, i dont buy any here, I tend to make my own as the frozen ones are pretty rubbish...and I hate cooking
Old Aug 5th 2007, 1:47 am
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having difficulty finding a decent breakfast cereal & have been through the lot.

I used to have no added sugar Alpen in the UK but they don't have anything like it here. Upshot is that I have been constipated for 6.5 mths. Sorry, probably TMI for you there.

I now buy 4 different cereals & mix them together. But miss my Alpen in the morning.

They add alot more sugar to foods here which I find a problem & I have a sweet tooth.

Generally the meat is good but not as much choice year round. I used to buy turkey year round but it's rarely sold here. I find the fresh chicken very watery & not as good quality as the UK. The beef is excellent though.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

zoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant future

I will second the adding sugar - I have found pasta sauces/domino etc to be so much sweeter - more sugar than I am used to. But cadbury's choc doesn't have that kick - someone said less coco????

fresh fruit and meat is better and cheap.

Originally Posted by AnnieNell
I'm having difficulty finding a decent breakfast cereal & have been through the lot.

I used to have no added sugar Alpen in the UK but they don't have anything like it here. Upshot is that I have been constipated for 6.5 mths. Sorry, probably TMI for you there.

I now buy 4 different cereals & mix them together. But miss my Alpen in the morning.

They add alot more sugar to foods here which I find a problem & I have a sweet tooth.

Generally the meat is good but not as much choice year round. I used to buy turkey year round but it's rarely sold here. I find the fresh chicken very watery & not as good quality as the UK. The beef is excellent though.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Colin in the middle

Agree - basically all the processed stuff is crap. All the fresh foods are better. Here's your chance to eat a good healthy diet.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 7:26 am
In Albany and loving it!!

katracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nice

i fine the fish and chips here lovely. the only bad thing is that they put alot of salt on it. Thats the only take away we had so far. Oh no pizza, taste the same as anywhere Miss juice for the boys so its fresh apple juice and milk or water. They do tend to drink more fizzy here than what they did in UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.