Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Following on from Genesis' post...

Following on from Genesis' post...

Old Mar 26th 2012, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Following on from Genesis' post...

I was 37 when I got here.

At 27 I would have found Auckland much too sleepy (still do a bit).
Old Mar 26th 2012, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

We are hopefully going over in May, I will be 46, husband pushing 50, children 8, 5 & 4 - late starters obviously!!!
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:26 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

right at the very edge of the skilled migrant cat, 45

at 27 just started my first company
racing motorbikes
Glastonbury (when it was still hippy)
holidays
oh and broke

Last edited by sparkie down under; Mar 26th 2012 at 6:29 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:42 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Persephone
I was 38 when I arrived. You know how it is, you meet a kiwi on holiday, like them, decide you may as well have an adventure and before you know it you've unexpectedly moved to the other side of the world and are settled into a domestic life 5 years later That old chestnut

At 27 I was going to Glastonbury, partying too much and generally behaving like I was 10 years younger
Yes at 27 I had no responsibilities,happy days

I generally act about 30 years younger nowdays lol
Old Mar 26th 2012, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Hippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud of

I came to NZ at the age of 69 in 2009, my hubby was 68. Best move ever.

J.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clappy

At 27 I would have found Auckland much too sleepy (still do a bit).
I did, and do... I've had some really good nights out here in town, but you need to plan it like a military operation with babysitters, taxis/buses, cost of taxis/buses, then cost of whole night out on top!
Old Mar 26th 2012, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Trish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really nice

Hopefully I'll be 38 when I arrive and my Eva will be 12. I really want to be at my brother's (Zara's dad) 40th birthday celebrations in January!
Old Mar 28th 2012, 3:30 am
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

erm 32 I think,

at 27 well, probably doing much as i have been since i was 16 and continue to do, work enough to keep me out of too much trouble, but not enough to stop me getting into any.
Old May 13th 2012, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

Ex Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hippygran2
I came to NZ at the age of 69 in 2009, my hubby was 68. Best move ever.

J.
We came to NZ in 2001, I was 56 & hubby 58, although we have recently returned (last September) from a 2 year spell in Europe. We are off again at the end of June for 3 months (doing Home & car Exchanges in Washington DC & San Francisco)
We have never felt 100% settled here. Always feel like a square peg in a round hole. We have lived in so many countries from a very young age so possibly that is the reason, or that Auckland or NZ is not for us?

I have found it's harder making friends at our age in NZ than Europe which is more accepting of older people, there we had a circle of friends both young & old. In NZ we feel old because I think of people's perception of older people.

My husband is a musician but refuses to play here any more because of the attitudes of fellow younger musicians. In Europe he played with Rock, Blues & Jazz groups & although the other musicians were so much younger they appreciated his talent & experience and wanted to socialize with us.

As a young married couple we lived in Australia for 34 years & never visited NZ once during that time (always holidaying in Australia or going further than NZ. Auckland was chosen because of the cheaper real estate on offer in 2001 in comparison to Sydney. It was a sound financial decision & real estate seems to be appreciating at the moment.

We hope to make the decision on our return whether we stay here, move to Hawkes Bay or return to Europe.
So I can appreciate what other migrants go through no matter what the age group. However I think for younger people the transition is made easier because of meeting others through the work environment & Mothers groups & school activities.
Old May 13th 2012, 5:02 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkie down under
right at the very edge of the skilled migrant cat, 45
Good news! SMC has a limit of 55....
Old May 13th 2012, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Michelle,

We moved to NZ in August 2008. I was 48 and Steve 53.

It's definitely turned out to be the best decision for us all round.

Had our own house built (couldn't have afforded this in the UK) and now running my own business Couldn't be happier

Off to Chicago this Wednesday on my first business trip too
Old May 15th 2012, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

jjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nice

hubby and I will be almost 35, baby 2 1/2...seems like a good time to do it. Can't sell London flat anyway, so just grinning and bearing the running costs of it and hope to flog it sooner rather than later to fund our new Lockwood home!
Hopefully baby will settle in quickly and not be too bothered about the move. Rather now than when she's old enough to complain about missing her friends or her local street corner hang out!
Old May 16th 2012, 1:16 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I was a few weeks short of 50 and Mr BEVS was 44 .

At 27 I owned my own 3 bed home which was not the norm back then as a single female but I still found the money to party. Mainly through having a 2nd evening job barmaiding.
Old May 16th 2012, 4:54 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

29 when we applied, 30 when we arrived Wife was 29.
Cats were 18 months
Old May 16th 2012, 6:27 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
- Mainly through having a 2nd evening job - .
Oh yes wink wink