Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Following in Abel Tasman's footsteps

Following in Abel Tasman's footsteps

Old Feb 21st 2011, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Godeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really nice
Default Following in Abel Tasman's footsteps

Though hopefully without getting chased away by angry natives.

Hello all.

I'm looking to move to NZ in the not too distant future. I've grown tired of virtually everything about the culture, attitude and mindset of the UK and want to get out.

And NZ seems to have pretty much everything I want out of life. Outdoor activities, theaters, museums, outdoor activities, good eating, nice(r) weather and outdoor activities.

Can you tell I'm excited about the potential for outdoor activities?

I've got questions obviously, and concerns (see the main board for some of those) but am optimistic nonetheless. The Kiwi's seem friendly, the people on this board helpfull, and NZ as a place whose general attitude is a better fit for me than the UK.

I've been reading the forums pretty actively, and have just been to an emigrate show on Saturday and will be going to an international NZ recruitment gig this evening actually, which will hopefully give me information on costs of living and wages in the IT sector (am a manager and high end technical support guy with 10+ years experience).

And that is my situation in a nutshell.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Following in Abel Tasman's footsteps

Hello & welcome to our friendly NZ forum . Sorry that I haven't welcomed you sooner but my thoughts are elsewhere at the mo.

I hope the recruitment event proved useful.

There are certainly plenty of chances to indulge in outdoor activities in NZ. We've taken up kayaking, which is something I wouldn't have considered doing in the UK.

Good luck with your plans
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Godeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really nice
Default Re: Following in Abel Tasman's footsteps

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Hello & welcome to our friendly NZ forum . Sorry that I haven't welcomed you sooner but my thoughts are elsewhere at the mo.
Nothing wrong with that.

I hope the recruitment event proved useful.
Useful in the sense that it left me feeling crushed with regards to being able to move out there any time soon. I have the experience for a very niche sort of job, but not the qualifications, and most of the jobs in my sector are not in my speciality.

There are certainly plenty of chances to indulge in outdoor activities in NZ. We've taken up kayaking, which is something I wouldn't have considered doing in the UK.
You see, that sounds great. I cycle, I run outdoors, I swim, I surf, I kayak, even done a bit of white water rafting in Scotland. I actually enjoy sitting on a hillside in summertime just watching the world drift by.

Good luck with your plans
Thanks, I think I'm going to need it.