British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Flys as big as birds! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/flys-big-birds-849297/)

moving2NZ2013 Dec 22nd 2014 1:45 am

Flys as big as birds!

Ok not quite! But there huge! And really loud!

I was never warned about this! It's driving me crazy, I'm going all ninja around they house! :eek:

Stormer999 Dec 22nd 2014 1:50 am

Re: Flys as big as birds!

Originally Posted by moving2NZ2013 (Post 11509775)
Ok not quite! But there huge! And really loud!

I was never warned about this! It's driving me crazy, I'm going all ninja around they house! :eek:

Yeh blue bottle size. We just use a Raid automatic squirter from Countdown. Most of them go straight back out when they whiff it.

MrsFychan Dec 22nd 2014 2:23 am

yep flies have made their presence known here as well, we also have the automated Raid sprays, also had my first couple of midge bites of the summer - oh the joys

jmh Dec 22nd 2014 7:13 am

Automatic squirters are good, but also try fitted fly screens for doors and windows. If renting and the frames are aluminium you can get magnetic ones you can take away when you move. Food umbrellas are pretty essential if you don't have fly screens.

bearskin Dec 22nd 2014 7:39 am

Can get the professional sprays that will keep your house bug free if you are at all bothered. We did one year but as it is pretty (very) acrid stuff, now we just put up with it, or have a dash round with the Raid spray now and then. Those auto sprayers are not good for you or particularly your pets if you have them.

LauraNotts Dec 22nd 2014 12:00 pm

We have several very large Daddy long legs spiders as flatmates. I must've caught and removed at least 10 from my bedroom but they don't do any harm so I mostly let them be. They also have their own room up in the top corner of the stairs where we can't reach. And they don't even pay power!!

Tom H Dec 22nd 2014 7:39 pm

I bought these magnetic window things that were in The Warehouse (think they're from a TV commercial) and they do a decent job in keeping the bugs out

It was weird though yesterday. We got out of St Georges and then got attacked by a swarm of some flying insect. They looked like Wasps but we didn't get stung at all. A lady by the bus stop said they were hornets. No way could they be Hornets as they are aggressive little barstewards that i'm sure don't even exist in New Zealand???

Is there any other wasp like looking creature in New Zealand that doesn't sting??

Stormer999 Dec 22nd 2014 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Tom H (Post 11510643)
I bought these magnetic window things that were in The Warehouse (think they're from a TV commercial) and they do a decent job in keeping the bugs out

It was weird though yesterday. We got out of St Georges and then got attacked by a swarm of some flying insect. They looked like Wasps but we didn't get stung at all. A lady by the bus stop said they were hornets. No way could they be Hornets as they are aggressive little barstewards that i'm sure don't even exist in New Zealand???

Is there any other wasp like looking creature in New Zealand that doesn't sting??

Hoverflies.

Pulaski Jan 13th 2015 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 11509909)
..... If ..... the frames are aluminium you can get magnetic ones you can take away when you move. .....

How does that work? Don't you mean the frames are steel (painted metal)? :unsure:

scrubbedexpat094 Jan 14th 2015 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11532002)
How does that work? Don't you mean the frames are steel (painted metal)? :unsure:

No they are aluminium and made for New Zealand conditions :sarcasm:

Stormer999 Jan 14th 2015 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11532002)

What, never heard of NZ Aluminium magnets.....:lol:

jmh Jan 15th 2015 11:03 pm

Many people have aluminium window frames. The screens have a magnetic strip around the edge that stick to the aluminium. The window frames are coated with different colours, e.g. brown or green.

Pulaski Jan 15th 2015 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 11535072)
Many people have aluminium window frames. The screens have a magnetic strip around the edge that stick to the aluminium. The window frames are coated with different colours, e.g. brown or green.

Part of your story is missing. Magnets do NOT stick to aluminium, ever! :rolleyes: ...... If the frames are painted, my guess is that they're actually made of steel.

BEVS Jan 15th 2015 11:59 pm

My windows are brown aluminium. As you say magnets do not stick to aluminium.

However, in the interests of science, I did check if the frames were in any part non-aluminium by seeing if a magnet would stick . Answer = no as expected.

I'd suggest said screens require a magnetic strip of some sort to be stuck to the window frames first.

Pulaski Jan 16th 2015 12:53 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 11535113)
My windows are brown aluminium. As you say magnets do not stick to aluminium. ......

Imagine that. :rolleyes:

.... However, in the interests of science, I did check if the frames were in any part non-aluminium by seeing if a magnet would stick . Answer = no as expected. .....
..... By everyone except jmh, apparently. :lol:

..... I'd suggest said screens require a magnetic strip of some sort to be stuck to the window frames first.
That makes sense. :)