flying via HK

Old May 9th 2007, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

zoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant future
Default flying via HK

Hi, Can anyone tell me what to expect when flying from london to Auckland via HK?
We did LA last time, but coming out with 3 children this time as well.

Ok We can take duty free booze - one major plus!

what is the stop over like - 2hr 2mins - do you go to a lounge or free run of the terminal???

zoe
Old May 9th 2007, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: flying via HK

Hi Zoe,
we did a 3 day stopover in HK so not sure what the transit facilities are like but we found it a nice airport from what I can remember - it was a bit of a blur. You may just get put in the holding lounge if it's just a refueling stop.
Old May 9th 2007, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

stacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to all

I am eager to know this aswell. My sister is flying by herself via HK and she is only 17. Her stopover is for 2 hours, has anybody had a stopover for 2 hours, what will she do just wait in a transit lounge or something?
Old May 9th 2007, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

binman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zoej
Hi, Can anyone tell me what to expect when flying from london to Auckland via HK?

what is the stop over like - 2hr 2mins - do you go to a lounge or free run of the terminal???

zoe
Flying into Hong Kong is not quite the fun it used to be when the old airport existed but I have spent transit time in the new airport as well. Worry not it is a fabulous airport and time will pass quickly. Many flyers refuse to fly via USA simply because of the horrendous transit facilities at L.A. Cheers binman
Old May 9th 2007, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

kooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud of

zoe
Hi Zoe,

We flew via HK in 2003, when the new airport had just opened. We were a little disapointed as the airport resembled a giant hanger (they were still building the shopping area at the time)

We were able to wonder freely throughout the building though.

Just one thing to watch out for however. Our youngest daughter, a pretty blue eyed, blonde haired 2 year old, found herself some unwanted admirers. Whilst waiting to go to the loo, she and her mother were staired at by 3/4 of a plane full of mainland Chinese who had just flown in. My wife found it a bit creepy. They just stood there and watched her for at least 10 minutes. Apparently blue eyed, blonde haired kids are thought to be lucky. Which ment that at every opportunity they would try to stroke her hair, which started to freak her out after a while.....very bizzar!!!! And annoying
Old May 9th 2007, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

hanjan will become famous soon enoughhanjan will become famous soon enough

zoe
Hi Zoe, We have just returned from our 'reccie' visit to New Zealand. We flew from London Heathrow via Hong Kong to Auckland with two children (8 and 6). We thought we had 2 hours, however in reality it was a lot shorter time. You land, get told to stand to the side whilst they stick a transit sticker on you! You then go along the concourse through security (which took about 45mins). Then up to the next level, ten minutes we were being asked to board!
So enough time to stretch your legs, but not much else. On the plus side you do feel you are on your way!!
Old May 9th 2007, 7:35 pm
Baa Baa

KiwiKate will become famous soon enoughKiwiKate will become famous soon enough

Hi
We just got back from a trip to Hong Kong, and we like the airport. The usual suspects (shopping wise) are all there. One tip, what with all the new restrictions on hand luggage, make sure you buy your duty free AFTER you've gone through passport control and security.
We were on our way back to NZ from Mauritius via Hong Kong, and had bought ours at Mauritius. We had to go out through customs, buy a new mini suitcase and pack the booze in there, then wait til check in to check in the bloody case. NIGHTMARE!!
Oh, and there are some great deals on memory chip stick things, for storing data. We picked up a few for a pittance in the airport electrical shop
Old May 10th 2007, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

zoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant future

All three of our kids are blond with blue eyes - arghhhHH!!!!
I am red headed with green eyes - they will think all their 4 leaf clover has come at once!!!!

Originally Posted by kooga61
Hi Zoe,

We flew via HK in 2003, when the new airport had just opened. We were a little disapointed as the airport resembled a giant hanger (they were still building the shopping area at the time)

We were able to wonder freely throughout the building though.

Just one thing to watch out for however. Our youngest daughter, a pretty blue eyed, blonde haired 2 year old, found herself some unwanted admirers. Whilst waiting to go to the loo, she and her mother were staired at by 3/4 of a plane full of mainland Chinese who had just flown in. My wife found it a bit creepy. They just stood there and watched her for at least 10 minutes. Apparently blue eyed, blonde haired kids are thought to be lucky. Which ment that at every opportunity they would try to stroke her hair, which started to freak her out after a while.....very bizzar!!!! And annoying
Old May 10th 2007, 11:16 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

All three of our kids are blond with blue eyes - arghhhHH!!!!
I am red headed with green eyes - they will think all their 4 leaf clover has come at once!!!!
You'll be fine, don't sweat it. Okay, outside the terminal you'll sweat as Hong Kong can be like a big sauna. But inside the terminal it's all cool as a cucumber.