Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Flying from UK to NZ with 2 young children

Flying from UK to NZ with 2 young children

Old Mar 21st 2022, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

HFordy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flying from UK to NZ with 2 young children

Has anyone recently flown from the UK to NZ with young children? We are planning our journey and would like some advice.

We will be travelling with our 3 1/2 year old and 1 1/2 year old (he is very active!).

In your experience is it better to break the flight up with a stopover somewhere? If so for how long? If you have a stopover between flights do you stay close (or at) the airport?

Are there any better airlines for children? What’s the deal with seats? (I’ve read we need to bring our own for them to sit in during the flight.) Are day or night flights better? I’d assume night so at least they can hopefully sleep for a chunk of it!

How do you keep them happy onboard?! There’s only so much tv and colouring in they can do! 😩

Any input welcome here! Thank you.
Old Mar 21st 2022, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying from UK to NZ with 2 young children

A good while since I've flown but they seem to put families on the front row where there is more room and the kids can sit in front of the seats without blocking anyone.
Old Mar 21st 2022, 11:24 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
A good while since I've flown but they seem to put families on the front row where there is more room and the kids can sit in front of the seats without blocking anyone.
You have to book that row.

about splitting the journey not sure if that would be best as it may lead to another time zone reset.
They do say a week, possibly more you should try and work your day as if you are in your new time zone not sure how practical that would be for little ones.

I think splitting your journey may depend on how much money you have, splitting is going to require accommodation, food & possible entertainment.

hopefully someone will pop along soon who has made the journey with kids of similar age to yours.
Old Mar 22nd 2022, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment any thoughts of stopover will likely be hamstrung by COVID testing protocols and requirements to enter NZ, as well as factoring in the requirements of the country that you are transiting through. I haven't studied it much but had been contemplating travelling to UK later this year and the logistics of adding in a potential side trip are enough to make my head spin.
Old Mar 22nd 2022, 11:38 pm
jjg
Numpty

jjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of light

We originally flew for our recce with a 4 and nearly 2 year old and we did it direct on 2 flights through Singapore.
The kids weren't an issue as they had a screen and enough of their toys to keep them busy.
Just be prepared to not sleep too much and tag each other in.