Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Flying to NZ & travel insurance

Flying to NZ & travel insurance

Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:41 pm
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Flying to NZ & travel insurance

Hi everyone,

My partner and I will be flying to NZ at the end of November and we're sorting things out bit by bit..and one of them is travel insurance. My partner is a Kiwi and I have PR so we will both be flying on a 1 way ticket via Singapore.

Can any of you recommend a good travel insurance company? I tried looking online and have emailed a few, basically waiting for replies now. I rang one, and was told they don't provide travel insurance for people traveling on 1 way tickets. We're just looking for basic insurance for the usual things like delayed flight, baggage theft/damage ect.

Thanks in advance for any advice, would be much apreciated

Jen
Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

kathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant future
Default Re: Flying to NZ & travel insurance

Hi Jen,

I was going to post a similar thread myself - we will be going on one way tickets via Singapore in january (family of 5).

Do the Post Office do 1 way travel insurance???

I will be watching this thread for some replies for myself.

Good luck when you go. Where will you be moving to???

Kathryn

Originally Posted by urbanproject
Hi everyone,

My partner and I will be flying to NZ at the end of November and we're sorting things out bit by bit..and one of them is travel insurance. My partner is a Kiwi and I have PR so we will both be flying on a 1 way ticket via Singapore.

Can any of you recommend a good travel insurance company? I tried looking online and have emailed a few, basically waiting for replies now. I rang one, and was told they don't provide travel insurance for people traveling on 1 way tickets. We're just looking for basic insurance for the usual things like delayed flight, baggage theft/damage ect.

Jen
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

melting pot is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kathm
Hi Jen,

I was going to post a similar thread myself - we will be going on one way tickets via Singapore in january (family of 5).

Do the Post Office do 1 way travel insurance???

I will be watching this thread for some replies for myself.

Good luck when you go. Where will you be moving to???

Kathryn
when we came out couldnt find a company that did 1 way insurance, so just had to do 1 month ( as if on Holiday)

would also be interested to see what you find out though
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:05 pm

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by melting pot
when we came out couldnt find a company that did 1 way insurance, so just had to do 1 month ( as if on Holiday)

would also be interested to see what you find out though
Hey Kathryn and melting pot,

We actually thought about the travel insurance this morning..which is giving us a bit of a headache.

Haven't thought of the Post Office Kathryn but will give it a shot tomorrow and post back as soon as I find out. My partner and I will be settling in Half Moon Bay East Auckland, where my partner is orginally from.

I'm waiting for replies to emails I sent to a couple of companies, will let you know as soon as they get in touch.

Jen
Old Oct 20th 2005, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

You could use Southern Cross "visiting NZ" policy, which they have confirmed is OK for a one-way trip - also means if you have a claim you'll be dealing with a local company. Not cheap - mine for a family cost $276, but much higher value limits (ie realistic for emigration) for baggage and single items than any UK policy I could find.

Have a look here: http://www.southerncross.co.nz/
Old Oct 20th 2005, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
You could use Southern Cross "visiting NZ" policy, which they have confirmed is OK for a one-way trip - also means if you have a claim you'll be dealing with a local company. Not cheap - mine for a family cost $276, but much higher value limits (ie realistic for emigration) for baggage and single items than any UK policy I could find.

Hi lapsed kiwi,

Thanks for the information, I will check it out on their website We'll only be 2 adults traveling so we'll see how much it ends up costing

In the meantime, I did get a reply from one of the UK insurance companies (Norwich Union), who explained they do not do 1 way insurance because their policy says the trip has to end in the UK..however they have advised me to contact Trailfinders - the travel agent on http://www.trailfinders.com/index.htm, who might be able to help.

More research to go !

Jen
Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi

Also look at Mike Henry (mikehernry.co.nz) who says on their website they provide cover for travel to NZ, for non-NZers. Also a NZ company making dealings potentially easier if youre in NZ.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by urbanproject
Hi everyone,

Jen
We booked insurance with insureandgo - they do 1 way trips, insurance expires the day after you arrive - family of 4 was about £56 if I remember rightly and that was for their middle level insurance - if you do a websearch it should come up otherwise their customer services tel no is 0870 333 1794 (in UK)
Old Oct 21st 2005, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Joshlin
We booked insurance with insureandgo - they do 1 way trips, insurance expires the day after you arrive - family of 4 was about £56 if I remember rightly and that was for their middle level insurance - if you do a websearch it should come up otherwise their customer services tel no is 0870 333 1794 (in UK)

Hi Joshlin and newkiwi,

Thnaks very much for the info Already heard of Mike Henry (partner had booked travel insurance with them for their trip to the UK), will also have a look at insure and go as well.

Jen
Old Oct 21st 2005, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Joshlin
I called Insure And Go and their rates are pretty good. I also emailed Mike Henry to get info. Looks like it will be between them two.

Thanks again for your advice everyone

Jen