British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Flying With A Guitar (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/flying-guitar-814815/)

Murrayafc Nov 11th 2013 9:23 am

Flying With A Guitar

Hello Folks

Has anybody ever taken a guitar as carry on to a flight before?

I dont really want it bouncing about in the hold, and I do not have a hard case for it but will get one if they will not allow me to keep it on me....

Cheers...

Pollyana Nov 11th 2013 3:34 pm

Re: Flying With A Guitar

Originally Posted by Murrayafc (Post 10985738)
Hello Folks

Has anybody ever taken a guitar as carry on to a flight before?

I dont really want it bouncing about in the hold, and I do not have a hard case for it but will get one if they will not allow me to keep it on me....

Cheers...

Best to check with the airline operating the flight :)

Justcol Nov 11th 2013 8:35 pm

I sent my son home with his Gretsch. Not allowed in the cabin but was taken and stored separately by desk staff so it didn't go
down the belt with all the other luggage. don't know where it was stored on the plane but it was handed back to him at Manchester.
All appeared ok but on close inspection it has collected a crack (small hairline) on the neck.
My advice, (will assume you already have a good hard case) if its a good guitar get it appraised for condition, valued and insured

scrubbedexpat094 Nov 11th 2013 9:19 pm

Thanks for making me :). I'm envisaging Airplane :lol:

:getcoat:

gazmac Nov 12th 2013 10:17 am

I checked my hummingbird in at heathrow and when we arrived in Delhi it had a one inch crack on the body - The guitar never left my sight on any other flight after that and no one made any issues around it, some other passengers got a little pissed off as they could not get they're massive carry on suitcases in the compartment directly above my head but that just tough luck chaps.

Id never check it in again.

Pulaski Nov 12th 2013 7:36 pm

Putting a guitar in an overhead bin is antisocial. I'd put my carry on sized holdall or computer bag in whatever space was left next to or on top of a guitar if that's all the space I could find.

garethwm Nov 12th 2013 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 10986673)
Thanks for making me :). I'm envisaging Airplane :lol:

:getcoat:

lol :)

Murrayafc Nov 13th 2013 7:50 am

Cheers for the replys folks, I've spoke to the flight centre so I can get a definite anwser from the airline.

I hardly think its antisocial to put it in the overhead bin, Taking my amp and crancking it up to 10 and playing status quo while people are sleeping is antisocial. I've got as much right to use the overhead bin as any other fare paying passenger. Im not fussed if somebody puts stuff on top of it, somebodys carry on baggage including there hoody and rod stewart autobiography on top of it will not stress me in the slightest :)

gazmac Nov 20th 2013 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10988252)
Putting a guitar in an overhead bin is antisocial. I'd put my carry on sized holdall or computer bag in whatever space was left next to or on top of a guitar if that's all the space I could find.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I will continue to be "Antisocial" when flying with a guitar.

I guess suitcases are appropriate though? Afterall the airlines lets you on with them dont they? - Oh yeah and with guitars as well.

Yada yada yada

:)

BEVS Nov 20th 2013 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Murrayafc (Post 10988935)
Taking my amp and crancking it up to 10 and playing status quo while people are sleeping is antisocial.

Amen to that.

Pulaski Nov 21st 2013 12:16 am

Originally Posted by gazmac (Post 11000525)
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I will continue to be "Antisocial" when flying with a guitar.

I guess suitcases are appropriate though? After all the airlines lets you on with them dont they? - Oh yeah and with guitars as well. .....

I fly with a carry-on specific holdall, which fits in the overhead bin like toast in a toast rack, as do properly sized carry-on suitcases (though many owners don't realise it! :rolleyes:)

I have no idea why airlines allow guitars as free carry-on luggage when they don't fit properly in the overhead bins, nor for that matter do they fit in the luggage size-checkers at check-in. :confused:

gazmac Nov 21st 2013 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11000664)
I fly with a carry-on specific holdall, which fits in the overhead bin like toast in a toast rack, :

Your oh so social...

Very Carry on specific...

"Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me".