Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

flying with cathay paciffic

flying with cathay paciffic

Old Jan 19th 2010, 7:05 am
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light
Default flying with cathay paciffic

Sorry peeps, I know there is prob a thread on this already, however, just want to quickly ask what you het when flying with cathay paciffic heathrow - hong kong - to auckland? do they supply snacks for the boys or do we have to buy everything to make it last in heathrow? Just dont want to be caught short with 2 very hungry teenagers, got lots of sweets in already and will get plenty of water for the plane. And is it just one meal we get with them, we are flying economy (unfortunatley) lol. But who cares as long as we get there x x x
Old Jan 19th 2010, 7:38 am
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: flying with cathay paciffic

never flown with Cathay, but haven't ever come across long-haul flights that don't provide everything you might need free of charge... i've had friends on some flights be invited to the 'galley' to make their own sandwiches etc when they've been hungry between meals!! (from economy, i hasten to add!)

i wouldn't bother trying to stock up on water for the flights either assuming the 100ml rules still apply?

hopefully someone with recent CP experience will be along to put your mind at rest! in the meantime, i'm off to see if i can find a useful link for you i stumbled across a couple of weeks ago.... hang on!

right, these are general reviews, but very recent and some good comments on food, general service etc... HTH

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/cathay.htm

Last edited by Stoof; Jan 19th 2010 at 7:44 am. Reason: added airlinequality link
Old Jan 19th 2010, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

I would agree with the water thing - there are signs up around the desks at heathrow which state that you cant take any fluids on - not even the half drunk bottle of fanta that no2 son had with him. it didnt matter which airline you were going with it seems a bit of a blanket rule x

We were very well looked after on the plane - although we were with singapore - so feel free to ignore me

And dont forget that you are sat still for all the time you are on the plane - we had 2 full meals plus snacks n sandwiches (although you had to ask or go get them from the kitchen during sleep time) we didnt need anymore than we were given x

Hope it helps xx and in case i dont get the chance in the meantime - good luck with your journey and will look forward to meeting with you soon on the sunny side of the world

Hope the small one has 'got over himself' xx

Love Psycho x
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

We have just picked up our son from the airport returning from his NZ visit flying Cathay. He flew Manchester-Heathrow-Hong Kong-Auckland. He said there were no problems in both directions, 2 meals on each of the long haul plus snacks and drinks.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:36 am
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Psychopandy
I would agree with the water thing - there are signs up around the desks at heathrow which state that you cant take any fluids on - not even the half drunk bottle of fanta that no2 son had with him. it didnt matter which airline you were going with it seems a bit of a blanket rule x

We were very well looked after on the plane - although we were with singapore - so feel free to ignore me

And dont forget that you are sat still for all the time you are on the plane - we had 2 full meals plus snacks n sandwiches (although you had to ask or go get them from the kitchen during sleep time) we didnt need anymore than we were given x

Hope it helps xx and in case i dont get the chance in the meantime - good luck with your journey and will look forward to meeting with you soon on the sunny side of the world

Hope the small one has 'got over himself' xx

Love Psycho x

thanks guys, I meant for us to buy once we go through security, or will it still be the same??

Thanks for the good wishes, catch up soon. x x
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by willand tina_h
Sorry peeps, I know there is prob a thread on this already, however, just want to quickly ask what you het when flying with cathay paciffic heathrow - hong kong - to auckland? do they supply snacks for the boys or do we have to buy everything to make it last in heathrow? Just dont want to be caught short with 2 very hungry teenagers, got lots of sweets in already and will get plenty of water for the plane. And is it just one meal we get with them, we are flying economy (unfortunatley) lol. But who cares as long as we get there x x x
We flew that route and everything was provided, just ring bell and ask for drinks ect. But they are bringing food round all the time even between meels.
Good luck

Last edited by PHONEJUNKY; Jan 19th 2010 at 11:13 am.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

mudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud of

We flew with Cathay Pacific last Easter when we went to NZ- we were really well catered for. One of mine was poorly on the way home, and they reserved a meal for her until she felt better. From Hong Kong to NZ it doubled as a British Airways flight, there was much more room on the plane (my youngest 6'5" so it was a relief).

On each flight we got dinner when we got on, then before landing we were woken up, and fed breakfast. In between there were biscuits and snackies available - not the hugest range in the world, but my 'stomach on legs' boy survived. ( we call him the 'eating machine') .

If there is any further need, there is a burger king at hong kong and it takes plastic!

The leg room and the in flight entertainment varied from plane to plane. We wrapped up warm because a friend told me it was cold in the air (but a different airline) but it was really warm on board and I boiled the whole way! So wear layers!

Have a lovely flight - I am really pleased for you (and a bit jealous too, I didn't get a job offer, and term starts soon, so I think I 'm stuck here for a while longer) I know how much you had to overcome to get to this point --- ENJOY!!!!!

Last edited by mudblood21; Jan 19th 2010 at 3:11 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:24 pm
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

We flew with Cathay Pacific just 4 months ago and they were great
you should have no problems
good luck
Old Jan 19th 2010, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

thanks guys, I meant for us to buy once we go through security, or will it still be the same??

Go with what the others said - there should be plenty provided. hope you got the sexy socks hehe
I got some before flying - and while im not in a high risk category for DVT i thought - well it cant hurt eh - but to be honest i noticed a big difference in how my feet felt during the flight - they didnt swell up like they would normally do - i would recommend you wear them just for that x
Old Jan 19th 2010, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psychopandy
Go with what the others said - there should be plenty provided. hope you got the sexy socks hehe
I got some before flying - and while im not in a high risk category for DVT i thought - well it cant hurt eh - but to be honest i noticed a big difference in how my feet felt during the flight - they didnt swell up like they would normally do - i would recommend you wear them just for that x

Ditto
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:38 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

it's 7 months since we last flew, but the three airports we went through then all had bins to dump your liquids in at the gate, just before boarding... if nothing's changed you're just going to end up dumping all the water you've bought...

good luck - safe travels!
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

Deepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really nice

We flew Heathrow - Hong Kong - Auckland in september last year with Cathay Pacific, we can not praise them enough. The hostesses were friendly and polite bringing you anything you ask for. The meals were good for aircraft food. Plenty of drinks available just ask. Loads and I mean loads of leg room due to the design of the seating. When the person in front reclines their seat it does not encroach on to your space brilliant design. I would not hesitate to travel with them again.