Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Flying Auckland to Dubai, 20hrs on a A380

Flying Auckland to Dubai, 20hrs on a A380

Old Nov 29th 2016, 1:50 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flying Auckland to Dubai, 20hrs on a A380

Hey everyone. Looking at booking a flight to Europe and its looks like Emirates is going to be our flight of choice. But I am dreading the 20hr leg to Dubai.

Anyone been through this, would you do it again? And what is the plane like? Not been on the A380 yet.

Many thanks!
Old Nov 29th 2016, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying Auckland to Dubai, 20hrs on a A380

Im planning another trip home next year and am not even considering those flightas
Old Nov 29th 2016, 2:59 am
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Hey everyone. Looking at booking a flight to Europe and its looks like Emirates is going to be our flight of choice. But I am dreading the 20hr leg to Dubai.

Anyone been through this, would you do it again? And what is the plane like? Not been on the A380 yet.

Many thanks!
I've done it. It was 17h when I did it in March and was not too bad. Emirates isn't a bad airline so the food was fairly good. Wine and whisky was flowing. Good choice of movies too. I had a window seat though and wished I had an aisle seat to give me more freedom of movement.

To be honest I couldn't really tell the difference between 17h AKL to DUB and the 14h ABU Dhabi to SYD - theyre both bloody long and I just go into travel mode until its over. Maybe take a cushion to sit on would be my only advice
Old Nov 29th 2016, 3:02 am
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Munchkjn
I've done it. It was 17h when I did it in March and was not too bad. Emirates isn't a bad airline so the food was fairly good. Wine and whisky was flowing. Good choice of movies too. I had a window seat though and wished I had an aisle seat to give me more freedom of movement.

To be honest I couldn't really tell the difference between 17h AKL to DUB and the 14h ABU Dhabi to SYD - theyre both bloody long and I just go into travel mode until its over. Maybe take a cushion to sit on would be my only advice
Oh and it wasn't a A380, I went in a 777 200 - with the long distance mod.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 4:34 am
Loves Australia

AceofSpades is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Catchafire

Many thanks!
I've used the Emirates A380 route from Australia to Britain via Dubai a few times since it started up.

Great seats, lots of leg room, ok-ish food, good film and TV catalogue, pleasant travel packs etc. Get seats forward of the wings but they can get a bit noisy in you're in an area with bassinets. I'd recommend having some good ear plugs and a decent eye mask.

It is a long flight though and I'd advise to have a break en-route somewhere in Asia and chill out. It's not too bad going over but it's a hard slog coming back.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Did this in July on a 777 200 ...17hr flight didn't really notice it being any longer than a 12/13 hr one.
I would much sooner do this flight than the one that has a stop in Sydney ... much less hassle.

Have flown on the A380 .. nothing special.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Yes done that leg in an A380 but it wasn't 20hrs. Seem to remember it being around 15hrs but I could be wrong ?
Do remember not liking the A380 for comfort. Had a window seat and there's way too far a gap between the end of the seat and the window/wall of the plane so you couldn't lean against it easily unless you stuffed loads of pillows/blankets down there. Wasn't as comfy as a 777.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

wez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nice

We did the Dubai to Auckland route last year, with a stop in Brisbane. It's the 14 hours from DXB to Brisbane thats the worst, after 9 hours you just want off the plane but know you've still got 5 hours. I couldn't sleep - even on diazepam. I've got to do it again in just under 6 weeks.

Emirates are great, the A380 is a fantastic plane, but then i've only got a 737 to compare it to lol.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

elonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond repute

We are going to do this route with our two kids when we visit NZ in 2018 for our rekke / family visits. We have done the 14 hour leg Bris to Dubai a few times, and found it to be excellent. The little bit of extra space (in terms of wandering about) on the A380 does make a difference.

We are well practised at sleeping on Aeroplanes though, If you aren't great at nodding off I'd say you'll go a bit insane on there!
Old Nov 29th 2016, 11:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Yes done that leg in an A380 but it wasn't 20hrs. Seem to remember it being around 15hrs but I could be wrong ?
Do remember not liking the A380 for comfort. Had a window seat and there's way too far a gap between the end of the seat and the window/wall of the plane so you couldn't lean against it easily unless you stuffed loads of pillows/blankets down there. Wasn't as comfy as a 777.
Have to agree, I find the 747s and A330s are more comfy than the A380. Flown it a few times now and its just a big plane, Takes hours to get off the thing too.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

wez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Have to agree, I find the 747s and A330s are more comfy than the A380. Flown it a few times now and its just a big plane, Takes hours to get off the thing too.
I guess that depends on where you sit

We always choose seats in the front section, you get fed first, and you get off the plane amongst the first too.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

I won't do the long legs anymore so go via HK or Singapore, whereas my wife (in the middle of a uk trip with Emirates at the moment) copes Ok :-). If you can cope with the boredom and physical stress of being cooped up for 17 hours go for it.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 12:20 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AceofSpades
I've used the Emirates A380 route from Australia to Britain via Dubai a few times since it started up.

Great seats, lots of leg room, ok-ish food, good film and TV catalogue, pleasant travel packs etc. Get seats forward of the wings but they can get a bit noisy in you're in an area with bassinets. I'd recommend having some good ear plugs and a decent eye mask.

It is a long flight though and I'd advise to have a break en-route somewhere in Asia and chill out. It's not too bad going over but it's a hard slog coming back.
Thanks for this and to everyone for your replies. Flight is booked and we are off soon. Will post a trip report!
Old Dec 4th 2016, 1:35 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Personally love the A380 but never book seats near bassinets. I prefer the Auckland, LAX LHR route having done all of them over the years flying with Air NZ, cannot fault them at all and LAX - never had any issues. But then cost is always a factor to account for. Happy flying
Old Dec 6th 2016, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Esme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really nice

We flew over last week, Emirates all way, 7hrs Manchester to Dubai then straight onto the 16.5hrs Auckland flight, luckily the plane had empty seats and we had 3 seats for 2 of us. Food and entertainment was good. We also landed 40 mins early � ����

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.