Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Flying alone to NZ

Flying alone to NZ

Old Mar 21st 2008, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

gazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Flying alone to NZ

Originally Posted by zummerzet_lou
Thank-you everyone ... you've set my mind at ease a little.

As regards the directions, I think the flights are:
London->Auckland, via LA
and Auckland->London, via LA.

One last niggle ... what should I do re.Money? Take some NZ dollars? and can I use my mastercard credit card in most places in NZ? <yes, I worry about the silliest things>

Lou
JUST BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR MASTERCARD CHECK WITH YOUR CARD SUPPLYER A RECENT TRIP TO THE STATES COST US A SMALL FORTUNE IN CHARGES ON OUR CARD FOR FORIEGN TRANSACTIONS.......WE ARE FLYING OVER THE SAME ROUTE ON THE 7TH OF APRIL ITS A LONG SHOT BUT WHEN ARE YOU FLYING?
Old Mar 21st 2008, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Can you not check bags straight through to Auckland these days when you fly via USA? I did it that way the first time i went out to NZ , 13 years ago. It was really easy finding way to next flight, lots of passengers doing the same thing. But, found going via Seoul or Hong Kong better...sorry
Try and enjoy it, catch up on loads of sleeping, take snacks to eat and don't worry about how you look !!!!! Have fun, sooo jealous.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Can you not check bags straight through to Auckland these days when you fly via USA? I did it that way the first time i went out to NZ , 13 years ago. It was really easy finding way to next flight, lots of passengers doing the same thing. But, found going via Seoul or Hong Kong better...sorry
Try and enjoy it, catch up on loads of sleeping, take snacks to eat and don't worry about how you look !!!!! Have fun, sooo jealous.
Thanks everyone .. I'm flying on the 5th April gazzer .. so a couple of days too early.

Will phone Air New Zealand later I think, as I also need to find out what happens re. my eTickets.

One last question ... suitcase or holdall? (Suitcase would mean buying one!!)
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

rebecca_brew is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, We checked our bags straight through in November with air new zealand, didn't see them until auckland at which point we checked them again (took about 5 mins) and picked them up again at wellington.All I had to worry about was my hand luggage....nice and easy!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:35 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
I had a terrible journey via LAX last year - only time an airport has ever lost my luggage (because of the collection and re-checking in) and believe me, I have taken many flights all over the world! I have vowed NEVER EVER to set foot in LAX again.
That, plus it's a right shithole. Blech!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:02 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Don't write off the whole West Coast. San Francisco International Airport (SFO) is alright, save for the occasionally dense immigration officer here and there.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

There's nothing to worry about, it soon passes, you usually have an entertainment console, get lots of food and drink, you may sit next to an interesting person. The old LA thing is not as bad as people say, it is a bit badly organised, but is soon over and is a break and leg stretch. It will seem less than 24 hours and there you will be, your new Kiwi life in front of you.
I like to fly Air Tahiti Nui with a stop in tahiti (from paris), calm beautiful stewardesses in local dress , handing out Gardenias(local fragrant flowers) for everyone (YES FOR MEN TOO)
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:33 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
I like to fly Air Tahiti Nui with a stop in tahiti (from paris), calm beautiful stewardesses in local dress , handing out Gardenias(local fragrant flowers) for everyone (YES FOR MEN TOO)
I second that. Air Tahiti Nui also has the best coffee you are likely to have anywhere. Seriously!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Air Tahiti Nui are usually one of the cheapest too (from Paris). You can have a free stopover in Tahiti a day or two or three or .... , the stopovers in local hotels are subsidised by the airline, 30 degrees in a tropical paradise , heaven !
Great food and coffee yes i agree. It is always a shock to hear the first announcement in french and Tahitian when you are on the apron at Auckland airport, exotic, or what ?