British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Flying alone to NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/flying-alone-nz-522963/)

zummerzet_lou Mar 19th 2008 2:40 pm

Flying alone to NZ

Sorry if this seems like a really daft thread, but am getting a bit distressed by the thought.

I have never flown before ... and it appears that I am off to NZ alone in a couple of weeks time, flying from London to Auckland.

Am reasonably happy about checking in etc, and arriving as have people there each end to meet me.

I know there is a stopover in both directions to re-fuel, either LA or Hong Kong. So, do I have to get off, re-board, re-check in etc? Am having a bit of a panic about knowing where I go etc.

TIA,

Lou

happynz Mar 19th 2008 4:51 pm

Re: Flying alone to NZ

Don't worry. You'll be fine. There will be plenty of staff on the ground to make sure you make it to your destination. If you are unsure about something don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck.

newkiwi Mar 19th 2008 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by zummerzet_lou (Post 6084592)
Sorry if this seems like a really daft thread, but am getting a bit distressed by the thought.

I have never flown before ... and it appears that I am off to NZ alone in a couple of weeks time, flying from London to Auckland.

Am reasonably happy about checking in etc, and arriving as have people there each end to meet me.

I know there is a stopover in both directions to re-fuel, either LA or Hong Kong. So, do I have to get off, re-board, re-check in etc? Am having a bit of a panic about knowing where I go etc.

TIA,

Lou

dol u know which way round your flying yet...via the east or via the USA?
It will be pretty easy though, just ask somebody in the airport when you get off the plane if you are unsure. It is generally pretty straightforward though, plenty of signs and such...

rebecca_brew Mar 19th 2008 4:58 pm

Hi there, don't worry I was panicking about the same stuff when I went via LA to NZ in November last year, it's pretty easy really, when you get of the plane for the re-fuel the cabin crew will have already told you what to do i.e remove all belongings from the cabin and keep your passport, paperwork etc handy, you will then go through a quick immigration check and hang around in an immigration lounge with all the other passengers of your flight only so no change of getting on the wrong plane!!! They will supply hot and cold drinks and snacks for free so no need to worry really, you will be taken care of...........enjoy your trip

NZBee Mar 19th 2008 10:09 pm

I have only flown via Hong Kong and Singapore. In the UK they check you right through to NZ so when you get off at HK or Sing, all you have to do is go and enjoy the shops, if you have time you can go and have a shower, and stretch your legs. Don't worry....just enjoy it! Actually, I prefer flying on my own....I save up mags and books, and also look online before I go to see what films are on...I also take some snacks in my bag (I always fall asleep and wake up ravenous!)..so really it is my chill out time!!

Kiwiprincess Mar 19th 2008 10:46 pm

If you go via Hong Kong you can have a shower. :D

If you go via LAX (or SFO) you can take more stuff but you will be stinky/tired getting off the plane.:unsure:

Asian airports are easier to transfer in and more relaxing. Singapore has a relaxation garden for goodness sake!!?!! :lol: Not that it applies if you are going via Hong Kong mind.

LAX allows you to go to Disneyland if you have a stopover.:thumbsup:

LAX is actually relatively painless if nothing goes wrong or gets delayed.

Unless you have a lot of stuff, or want to see the mouse with the ears, then Hong Kong might be easier if you haven't travelled on your own before.

Oh, and can I make a suggestion? As soon as you get off the plane in HK find out where your next flight leaves from. Then backtrack to do some shopping knowing that you have plenty of time without having to worry. I think you would only have around 2 hours in Hong Kong so not a huge amount of time to go shopping....but enough. :D

zummerzet_lou Mar 20th 2008 7:39 am

Thank-you everyone ... you've set my mind at ease a little.

As regards the directions, I think the flights are:
London->Auckland, via LA
and Auckland->London, via LA.

One last niggle ... what should I do re.Money? Take some NZ dollars? and can I use my mastercard credit card in most places in NZ? <yes, I worry about the silliest things>

Lou

happynz Mar 20th 2008 7:49 am

Originally Posted by zummerzet_lou (Post 6087821)

One last niggle ... what should I do re.Money? Take some NZ dollars? and can I use my mastercard credit card in most places in NZ? <yes, I worry about the silliest things>

Lou

You can use your Mastercard in most places and get cash from the ATM machines which are just about everywhere.

11ThousandMilesFromHome Mar 20th 2008 9:01 am

I did it on my and it's not a problem at all...i loved it actually...just me to please and could do what i wanted...bliss

please don't worry, try and enjoy it and make the most of the time to yourself

:thumbsup:

JasonSouthYorks Mar 20th 2008 12:20 pm

I did the same trip a couple of months ago. I certainly didn't get free food and drink, I don't know who the person flew with who got that!!
Be prepared for quite a long wait going through customs at LA. I was stood waiting for 2 hours!:curse:
I had to change plane and airline but was directed where to take my luggage by the staff there. Once you get through you may have to check in again (as I did) although it appears that some didn't. I don't know why, I think it all depends on who ask at the airport. If you do and you go outside the main part of the terminal, it is absolute chaos. Hundreds of people standing around. Mad Americans doing high fives and shouting "Whoa Maaan!"
It was all quite painless really. Having said that, next time when I take the rest of the family I will definitely go the other way round and have a stop-over.

happynz Mar 20th 2008 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by JasonSouthYorks (Post 6088635)
Hundreds of people standing around. Mad Americans doing high fives and shouting "Whoa Maaan!"

:lol:

Duuuuuuuuuude!

Maz Mar 20th 2008 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 6088708)
:lol:

Duuuuuuuuuude!

:lol: :lol: :rofl: :lol: :lol: Too funny duuuuuuude! :rofl:

newkiwi Mar 20th 2008 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by zummerzet_lou (Post 6087821)
Thank-you everyone ... you've set my mind at ease a little.

As regards the directions, I think the flights are:
London->Auckland, via LA
and Auckland->London, via LA.

Lou

Yes take some NZ dollars, you probably get a better rate and no commission if you change it in the UK. You can use your credit card easily, you will have to sign for purchases as your card wont work for EFTPOS (the NZ equivalent to UK chip-and-pin) transactions. You can withdraw money from ATMs using your UK Debit/ Credit cards, but you will have to pay a fee for that, so dont make a lot of small withdrawls.

SamBinNZ Mar 21st 2008 7:31 am

Originally Posted by zummerzet_lou (Post 6084592)

TIA,

Lou

Hi
I did the journey with my 8 year old daughter in October as my husband flew out 3 weeks before via Singapore. His luggage went through without him having to re-check it in but we flew via LAX-Auckland and finally to Christchurch. I had to get our 4 cases after each flight in re-check them back in. I would definitely ask at the time of booking the flights next time as it was a bit of a nightmare with a tired 8 year old having to find our cases and then get them back on the next flight. I found the people in LA most ignorant but a lot more friendly when I got to Auckland. I took NZ Dollars with me but changed some English money in LA as my daughter wanted to spend some money in the Disney shop!! I think it would have been less stressful just worrying about me and my daughter instead of where the check in desk was and wondering if my luggage was on the right flight, but there are people to ask I just found the LAX staff not too helpful!! Anyway good luck, I'm sure you will be fine.

cappuccino Mar 21st 2008 8:28 am

I had a terrible journey via LAX last year - only time an airport has ever lost my luggage (because of the collection and re-checking in) and believe me, I have taken many flights all over the world! I have vowed NEVER EVER to set foot in LAX again.