Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Flu jab for diabetic's

Flu jab for diabetic's

Old Oct 12th 2005, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flu jab for diabetic's

Who was it told me their child was also diabetic, have you managed to get a flu jab for your child. My doctors have run out. He has been sick with very high levels and a cold for the last few days. Just watched a programme about flu pandanmic in the UK to come and am now panicking. I know most of you won't understand this but if my kid gets sick that is us in hosp for days.
Whoever it was pls pm me. Or any medicals on the site advice very welcome.
Cheers
KAZ
Old Oct 12th 2005, 7:54 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flu jab for diabetic's

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Who was it told me their child was also diabetic, have you managed to get a flu jab for your child. My doctors have run out. He has been sick with very high levels and a cold for the last few days. Just watched a programme about flu pandanmic in the UK to come and am now panicking. I know most of you won't understand this but if my kid gets sick that is us in hosp for days.
Cheers
KAZ
Hi Kaz

Nice to 'see' you again!!

I think it may be me that you're thinking of maybe - one of my daughters is a diabetic. She hasn't had her flu jab yet (I can't believe it's got round to that time of year again already...where does the time go???) but she usually gets a letter inviting her to attend the flu-jab clinic which should be coming any day now.

And yes, I understand exactly what you mean...spent many a night on the childrens ward myself! That is, I used, to until the hospital changed my daughter's insulin and gave us supplies of fast-acting insulin - she's not had a ketoacidotic episode since...the 'mixed' insulins aren't so good when kids are poorly but the fast-acting stuff gets to work straight away - it does exactly what it says on the tin -works quickly and gets blood sugars back to lower levels before they spiral out of control!

What have your doctors said Kaz? Are they ordering more in for you? Diabetics are top priority for the flu jab - surely they should be able to get you some? I know our docs ran out at the flu clinic last year when my daughter was due to go but they just gave us a presciption and asked us to go down to the chemist, collect the vaccine and bring it back to the clinic for them to inject her with...it was a bit of a palavar at the time but at least she got her jab - could yours maybe do the same for you?

Let me know how you get on Kaz...
Old Oct 14th 2005, 5:11 am

Dave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant future

Cheers
KAZ
Hi Kaz!
Really sorry to hear your son isn't well - is he getting any better? Have the doctors said when they will start vacinations again?
Take care
Dave
Old Oct 14th 2005, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave and Lyns
Hi Kaz!
Really sorry to hear your son isn't well - is he getting any better? Have the doctors said when they will start vacinations again?
Take care
Dave
Hi guys, Yes he is back at school, his levels are still very high. They don't seem to be able to give the mix right at the moment he is on 3 different types of insulin and injecting up to 5 times a day.
The doc's say that they hope to have more flu vacines in two weeks, just hope we avoid anybody with flu until then.
Pinkie, did you know that you have to pay for most of your needles, insulin, strips etc in NZ so start stockpiling. One of my best friends daughter who lived in the same street as us (always makes me wonder about enviromental causes to diabetes) was diagnosed about the same time as my son. She has given me the low down on where to get what and the costs which I can mail onto you nearer to your departure date. She reckons it costs her about $40 per month.
Hope everyone out there is fit and well and looking forward to the weekend.
Cheers
KAZ
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:13 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys, Yes he is back at school, his levels are still very high. They don't seem to be able to give the mix right at the moment he is on 3 different types of insulin and injecting up to 5 times a day.
The doc's say that they hope to have more flu vacines in two weeks, just hope we avoid anybody with flu until then.
Pinkie, did you know that you have to pay for most of your needles, insulin, strips etc in NZ so start stockpiling. One of my best friends daughter who lived in the same street as us (always makes me wonder about enviromental causes to diabetes) was diagnosed about the same time as my son. She has given me the low down on where to get what and the costs which I can mail onto you nearer to your departure date. She reckons it costs her about $40 per month.
Hope everyone out there is fit and well and looking forward to the weekend.
Cheers
KAZ
Hi Kaz

The docs changed my daughter's insulin a couple of years ago - when she was 10 - and she's been a different kid ever since - much more stable and blood sugars better controlled. They put her onto Lantus and Humalog (rapid acting not a mix) and it works a treat...the mixed insulins are a pigging nightmare aren't they!! My daughter has a small injection of rapid acting Humalog before each meal and a night time injection of Lantus which is the slow release insulin and it has literally transformed her routine.

Hope you manage to get your son's jab done soon. I've already started stock-piling stuff and am going to ask for a few months supplies in advance before we go just to cover us until we get settled somewhere.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Hi Kaz

The docs changed my daughter's insulin a couple of years ago - when she was 10 - and she's been a different kid ever since - much more stable and blood sugars better controlled. They put her onto Lantus and Humalog (rapid acting not a mix) and it works a treat...the mixed insulins are a pigging nightmare aren't they!! My daughter has a small injection of rapid acting Humalog before each meal and a night time injection of Lantus which is the slow release insulin and it has literally transformed her routine.

Hope you manage to get your son's jab done soon. I've already started stock-piling stuff and am going to ask for a few months supplies in advance before we go just to cover us until we get settled somewhere.
Pinkie,
My son is on Mixtard 30, Novarapid and Insulatard which is all GM insulin, are you using HM insulin?
PM me pls.
KAZ
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes!
Got a date for my son's flu jab, new stocks should be arriving early Nov so he got a date for the 15th Nov (just hope they don't run out before then).
Now all we have to do is avoid anybody with the flu!
KAZ