Flowers dilemma

Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:30 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flowers dilemma

Its our girls' naming ceremony next weekend. Part of the ceremony requires each guest to give a flower to our daughters; a symbolism of the promises and vows bestowed.

I was getting these preserved in a box frame with other keepsakes from the day.

I have the flower preserver booked up and everything thinking this would be a lovely gift for the girls when they are older - now...... i just got thinking. I wont be able to bring them to NZ!!!

So gutted its untrue. I dont know what to do now. Is there any kind of disinfecting the MAF people could do so I could bring them into the country?
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:35 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flowers dilemma

Originally Posted by dreamfish
Its our girls' naming ceremony next weekend. Part of the ceremony requires each guest to give a flower to our daughters; a symbolism of the promises and vows bestowed.

I have the flower preserver booked up and everything thinking this would be a lovely gift for the girls when they are older - now...... i just got thinking. I wont be able to bring them to NZ!!!

So gutted its untrue. I dont know what to do now. Is there any kind of disinfecting the MAF people could do so I could bring them into the country?
Lovely idea Kate and if this weather stays, you could be in for a glorious day.

What if the box frames were sealed? Although I suppose it couldn't be permament. But I'm sure there are some people that take their butterfly/stuffed animals around the world. Perhaps ask someone in the know from immigration/customs.

Hope something comes up for you.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:36 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

How about: get it done anyway, leave with a relative or friend and deal with it at a later date. And when your 'Kiwi' girls grow up and go to the UK to visit, there will be an important part of their history for them to see?
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by karonious
How about: get it done anyway, leave with a relative or friend and deal with it at a later date. And when your 'Kiwi' girls grow up and go to the UK to visit, there will be an important part of their history for them to see?
yes i had thought about that. but now mom is talking about coming out with us so we will still be stuck!

i have just dropped an email to MAF. I saw a note on their website saying that not everything is destroyed - sometimes they can make exceptions. So i have asked that the likelihood might be.

me and my grand ideas! DP has his interview in an hour!!!!!
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Lovely idea Kate and if this weather stays, you could be in for a glorious day.

What if the box frames were sealed? Although I suppose it couldn't be permament. But I'm sure there are some people that take their butterfly/stuffed animals around the world. Perhaps ask someone in the know from immigration/customs.

Hope something comes up for you.
yes the boxed frames will be completely sealed. I would hate for them to have to open them to disinfect them - what if they go mouldy? i read somewhere they use an ultraviolet light or summit?
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:42 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

DP has his interview in an hour!!!!!
Good luck.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:47 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

yes i had thought about that. but now mom is talking about coming out with us so we will still be stuck!

i have just dropped an email to MAF. I saw a note on their website saying that not everything is destroyed - sometimes they can make exceptions. So i have asked that the likelihood might be.

me and my grand ideas! DP has his interview in an hour!!!!!
You know, it doesn't matter how much you stress, it will turn out just the same. I was MAJORLY stressed in the lead-up to our move, but things have a way of sorting themselves out. I don't mean that your worries are insignificant, just that it will be OK in the long run. Here we are are, in our own home, loving life. If you had told me that when I was very stressed last September, I couldn't have taken it in.
Karma for your worries,
Karen B
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:19 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

DP has his interview in an hour!!!!![/quote]

Good Luck for you all I've got my fingers crossed
Old Mar 14th 2007, 2:55 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

What a lovely lovely idea...i really do hope that you're able to go ahead with the flower pressing.

If you don't mind me asking...i love the idea of a 'naming ceremony' is this for a certain religion? or Culture?, i'm a midwife and so in my job i have to honour various customs from a variety of cultures and religions and so am curious about these things.

Again i hope you don't mind me asking and that me asking hasn't offended you.

take care and hope that you get the a quick response from MAF
Old Mar 14th 2007, 4:07 pm
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of

OH was offered an ultra violet blast on some dry flowers sent by her mother a couple of weeks ago. It can be done
Old Mar 14th 2007, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Mandie.H
What a lovely lovely idea...i really do hope that you're able to go ahead with the flower pressing.

If you don't mind me asking...i love the idea of a 'naming ceremony' is this for a certain religion? or Culture?, i'm a midwife and so in my job i have to honour various customs from a variety of cultures and religions and so am curious about these things.

Again i hope you don't mind me asking and that me asking hasn't offended you.

take care and hope that you get the a quick response from MAF
hey no worries - this is what i have written on the back of the invites. I am spiritualist, i dont play for any one team, so it works for me!

"The Naming Service
This is a service recognising the souls that have come amongst us, as an acknowledgement of identity and of oneness with the Great
Spirit and all things in the Universe. It is an opportunity for us to bless the future well-being of F and H and to offer our
children in the ways of spiritual growth with freedom to choose their own pathway and religion with knowledge and love.
The service for us is re-affirmation of our love and devotion to those that have gone before. It is a spiritual confirmation of their
recognition and willingness to help us in times of need and desperation. A further bonding and acknowledgement of the continuity of life.
It’s also an opportunity to declare before our family and friends, our promises to be as good a parent as we can and for adult friends or
relatives to confirm their special relationship with our children.

Grandparents and Life Mentors
You will be asked to declare your promises to our children and these shall be recorded onto a certificate for F and H to
keep. If you would like to make a short speech or read some prose then please do let us know in good time.

All witnesses to the service.
Could all those attending the service bring with them two flowers, one for each child. During the service you will be invited to present
your flower to each child and to say a few words to them if you wish. Afterwards, the flowers will be gathered up and taken home in
remembrance of the blessings bestowed.
It is requested that all who witness this service forever lend their support and love to the souls' progress and growth.
A toast to our daughters will signify the closure of the service."

Meant to add they will also be given their spiritual names. F will be 'FreeSpirit' and H will be 'MoonBeam'.

Last edited by dreamfish; Mar 14th 2007 at 4:20 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by SirEglamore
OH was offered an ultra violet blast on some dry flowers sent by her mother a couple of weeks ago. It can be done
sounds like a plan then!
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:14 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Dreamfish.

We had parts of my wedding bouquet and also the bridesmaids flowers pressed. . They were arranged , mounted & put into glass fronted pictures frames.

I brought mine with me, no problemo. It's hanging on my bedroom wall right now.
It just went into the container with the rest of my curios and artefacts. We declared what we thought we should. The container wasn't even inspected.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 11:15 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

hey no worries - this is what i have written on the back of the invites. I am spiritualist, i dont play for any one team, so it works for me!

[F Naming Service[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[F is a service recognising the souls that have come amongst us, as an acknowledgement of identity and of oneness with the Great[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[F and all things in the Universe. It is an opportunity for us to bless the future well-being of F and H and to offer our[/COLOR][/FONT]
[F in the ways of spiritual growth with freedom to choose their own pathway and religion with knowledge and love.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[F service for us is re-affirmation of our love and devotion to those that have gone before. It is a spiritual confirmation of their[/COLOR][/FONT]
[F and willingness to help us in times of need and desperation. A further bonding and acknowledgement of the continuity of life.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[F also an opportunity to declare before our family and friends, our promises to be as good a parent as we can and for adult friends or[/COLOR][/FONT]
[F to confirm their special relationship with our children.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[F and Life Mentors[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[F will be asked to declare your promises to our children and these shall be recorded onto a certificate for F and H to[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[F If you would like to make a short speech or read some prose then please do let us know in good time.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[F witnesses to the service.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[F all those attending the service bring with them two flowers, one for each child. During the service you will be invited to present[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[F flower to each child and to say a few words to them if you wish. Afterwards, the flowers will be gathered up and taken home in[/COLOR][/FONT]
[F of the blessings bestowed.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[F is requested that all who witness this service forever lend their support and love to the souls' progress and growth.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[F toast to our daughters will signify the closure of the service."[/COLOR][/FONT]

Meant to add they will also be given their spiritual names. F will be 'FreeSpirit' and H will be 'MoonBeam'.
Thank you, that's really lovely. What i like is that all who attend will be there to forever lend support. Also that they pick a flower for each daughter...they will then be with them no matter where they chose to live because they will always have their gift with them...how nice. Lets hope like BEVS you'll have no problem taking the pressed flowers into nz

take care