Flipping Cold

Old May 17th 2006, 5:58 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flipping Cold

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Bugger approaching 400 posts on this shallow website, not much more to go now, thank goodness.
What are you going to do when you reach 400 posts Nice Guy?
Old May 28th 2006, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

rita narbett is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sky
In Christchurch today and I've no wood :scared:
Im sat here in three fleeces lol

There's snow on the mountains and it's looking lovely
Please tell me you have central heating out there? anyone?
Old May 28th 2006, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rita narbett
Please tell me you have central heating out there? anyone?
Ha ha, you're having a laugh aren't ya?
The few who can afford CH do obviously, the rest of us suffer , too cold to do anything, nost go outdoors for the warmth as it really is warmer outside than inside if your room doesn't get the sun.
Power is bloody expensive here and after one month of running these 'modern' plug in radiators, electric blankets and stuff, you will not do it again the following month when you see your power bill! :scared:
Its back to hot water bottles and the 60's, welcome to NZ. lol
Old May 28th 2006, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

rita narbett is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rascal
Ha ha, you're having a laugh aren't ya?
The few who can afford CH do obviously, the rest of us suffer , too cold to do anything, nost go outdoors for the warmth as it really is warmer outside than inside if your room doesn't get the sun.
Power is bloody expensive here and after one month of running these 'modern' plug in radiators, electric blankets and stuff, you will not do it again the following month when you see your power bill! :scared:
Its back to hot water bottles and the 60's, welcome to NZ. lol
LOL Sounds fun! Not!......oh well.........They did it in the olden days. My kids dont even know what an electric blacket is & theyv'e never set eyes on a hot water bottle but i'm sure they will love it! We take to many things for granted over here
Old May 28th 2006, 11:29 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

There are central heating systems out here but not usually like we are used to in the UK. We have a log fire and warm air is pumped out of the living area and into the bedrooms ... Works really well if we have wood to light the fire with lol.
I think to install in an existing building it's about $20k so if you want it just make sure you budget for it in advance.
There are heat pumps here and if they are built into a new build you can have them pumping hot air into all the rooms of your house and they cool in the summer as well.
Some new houses just have underfloor heating and I think that's quite good too.
The electric is expensive here we have found so if you go for an electric way of heating your home make sure you go for the most efficient on and even more importantly that your house is very well insulated.
I live on the South Island and obviously if you are going up to live at the very top of the North Island maybe heating won't be so much of an issue
Old May 29th 2006, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rita narbett
LOL Sounds fun! Not!......oh well.........They did it in the olden days. My kids dont even know what an electric blacket is & theyv'e never set eyes on a hot water bottle but i'm sure they will love it! We take to many things for granted over here
Welcome to the olden days here then. lol
My kids laughed when I told them that was what we had in the 60's as I was growing up. Of course they had been brought up in UK with CH & DG.
They are slowly adapting, we are on our fifth winter here now.
It doesn't get easier though I am afraid.
Old May 29th 2006, 2:03 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

I read before coming to NZ that Chch was the driest place in NZ. Someone must have been having a laught cause its done nothing but rain for it seems like weeks. My house is full of condensation. We have a DVS system but it just blows out cold air and i cant be doing with getting any colder. We all have hot water bottles in the beds and I have a big fluffy blanket ontop of my 15 tog quilt. The electricity bill is gonna be a nightmare. In the UK i put my CH on at the end of Sept and it was on day and night till May. I hate the cold !!!!!!!! I just wish it was dry outside for a few days, its not raining all the time but grey and moist...
Old May 29th 2006, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

This house we live in isnt too bad for condensation but I went down the road to see a friend this morning and their 3 bed rented bach feels really damp and dreary. I noticed she had as many windows open as possible but the others dont even open.... her little baby's room was still wet inside the windows at midday. She said that everything is starting to go mouldy.

Its true you go outside to warm up here. We all have hot water bottles too and 2 quilts on our beds. Electricity is really expensive so the only room that has the oil filled radiator on at night time is my sons.

I love having the log burner going in the eves but ive started lighting it later now at night as it doesnt seem to be in any way controllable and it gets too hot in that room.... dont think this house was designed very well really.

Dont get me wrong, we love NZ but you really do feel sometimes that youre in a time warp and lived like this about 30 years ago! Its not ever really cold here in Auckland but its certainly not warm enough for the houses to have no form of heating.
Old May 29th 2006, 2:30 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
I read before coming to NZ that Chch was the driest place in NZ. Someone must have been having a laught cause its done nothing but rain for it seems like weeks. My house is full of condensation. We have a DVS system but it just blows out cold air and i cant be doing with getting any colder. We all have hot water bottles in the beds and I have a big fluffy blanket ontop of my 15 tog quilt. The electricity bill is gonna be a nightmare. In the UK i put my CH on at the end of Sept and it was on day and night till May. I hate the cold !!!!!!!! I just wish it was dry outside for a few days, its not raining all the time but grey and moist...
Lol Canterbury was crispy and brown until this recent rain so I think everyones just glad of the water. Im sick of the condensation in this house too but we just sold so woooohooooo no more wiping windows .... well not in this house anyways
Old May 29th 2006, 2:36 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
Lol Canterbury was crispy and brown until this recent rain so I think everyones just glad of the water. Im sick of the condensation in this house too but we just sold so woooohooooo no more wiping windows .... well not in this house anyways
Ok im gonna come round just to get my bum up close to your heat pump !!
Old May 29th 2006, 2:37 am
Susie..

That sounded abit rude....hehe
Old May 29th 2006, 3:21 am
WAS bored stiff in USA

cyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud of

Errm, I'm sorry guys but I think all this rain is my fault. I wrote an e-mail back to a friend in the UK who was full of questions & she asked what the weather was like compared to the UK. Now seeimg as I haven't lived properly in the UK for 20 years I told her I couldn't really compare. I did tell her that it didn't rain much here, but as the South Island had been going through a drought for the last couple of years & us only having been here since Feb I didn't know what was normal yet.

I should have kept my big trap shut, it's hardly stopped raining since Thank God the house we're renting is warm. We have a log burner & we bought one of those plug in radiators for the hallway but have only used it a couple of times, & we do have electric blankets. So far our leccy bills haven't been so bad the highest one was $99 so I'm not complaining just yet. We love the log buner too, it's one of those ones like a fireplace but with the door on. I don't think we've managed to stay awake long enough to watch the telly, we keep dozing off because we're so cosy. Of course the glass of wine has nothing to do with falling asleep.
Old May 29th 2006, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

I find it rains as much here as it did in the UK, just warmer rain (in summer) thats all!
I used to think it was the rain clouds following me around, but off to Middle East soon so watch this space.
I'll let you know if I can make it rain there, if it does, I will go into hiding! lol
Old May 29th 2006, 4:03 am
Susie..

Originally Posted by Rascal
I find it rains as much here as it did in the UK, just warmer rain (in summer) thats all!
I used to think it was the rain clouds following me around, but off to Middle East soon so watch this space.
I'll let you know if I can make it rain there, if it does, I will go into hiding! lol
Oh so its your fault....good job you are off to the Middle East, they need rain alot more than us....
Old May 29th 2006, 9:55 pm
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

Auckland sounds warmer is that right? How cold does it get there? The coldest that I have had in Northamtonshire this winter is -10c :scared: , how bad does it get in Auckland? PLEASE tell me it is not that bad?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.